Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Bike commuters / office drones - do you use no-rinse wipes when you get to work?

https://theprepared.com/gear/reviews...hygiene-wipes/

If so, do you recommend any particular brand?

TIA

Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 AM

I’ve used these in the past and they work fine. Big and one is enough. I have showers where I am now so upgraded to a chamois towel and rinse off

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 AM

I used disposable washcloths, several different brands. They're like a larger and thicker baby wipe. You can also put them in a microwave for a few seconds for cleaning up after a cold commute. I was fortunate that I only had one commute situation where I needed them. All others had showers.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM

I've used the Dead Down Wind wipes in the 20-pack, same as shown in the top row of the pic. Not for bike related purposes, but during deer season when I'm up at the hunting camp and might go 4-5 days without a shower. They work fine at removing the grime and leave me feeling pretty clean, so I have no complaints with their performance. Haven't used any others for comparison, just bought them when I caught a good deal in-store. After seeing the linked review I might try one of the brands with slightly larger sheets next time.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM

I have a short commute; 3 miles so I just wear my work duds. It is a humid mid-west environment even in the morning. Anyway...hearkening back to my racing days I simply use a towel, rubbing alcohol, deodorant, some light fragrance if needed. No complaints.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 PM

I dont have to worry about getting sweaty at my job but after spending countless HUMID and HOT summers in japan I've learned that these are the best wipes you can get https://www.amazon.com/Gatsby-Deodor...a-338724874930
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I dont have to worry about getting sweaty at my job but after spending countless HUMID and HOT summers in japan I've learned that these are the best wipes you can get https://www.amazon.com/Gatsby-Deodor...a-338724874930
Interesting.

Are they "deodorant" in the same sense as long-lasting under-arm deodorant, where chemicals are deposited on your skin and stay there to continue to act, or are they deodorant in the sense that on contact they kill the bacteria that cause the odor, but then the stuff evaporates?

I ask because I don't want to be wiping "regular style" deodorant all over my body. (as far as I know I don't need that...)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Interesting.

Are they "deodorant" in the same sense as long-lasting under-arm deodorant, where chemicals are deposited on your skin and stay there to continue to act, or are they deodorant in the sense that on contact they kill the bacteria that cause the odor, but then the stuff evaporates?

I ask because I don't want to be wiping "regular style" deodorant all over my body. (as far as I know I don't need that...)
I am Japanese illiterate. I can speak fluently but can barely read or write. So I can’t 100% confirm the science, but from feel I would describe it as the latter. Killing bacteria and then evaporates
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM

I don’t use them but I should lol
Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I am Japanese illiterate. I can speak fluently but can barely read or write. So I can’t 100% confirm the science, but from feel I would describe it as the latter. Killing bacteria and then evaporates
Thanks for the info and the recommendation.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 AM

Im a nurse so I can't smell like BO or perfume so I use coleman biowipes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:50 AM

reduce your waste and get a mega-pack of white washcloths. Go in the bathroom to change, wet one with water and just a dot of Dr. Bronners soap (or whatever soap you want). wash off. have another wet one with just water for the rinse. then a final one or two for the dry off. Then chuck them all in a dirty clothes bag. Then on the day you drive, take them all home for a wash. I also find this leaves me feeling cleaner than the wipes. I think I am actually cleaner, too.
I use the spacious handicapped stall for this.

Only really works if you don't bike every single day. You need a car day to replenish clean hand towels.

I got this idea from being at a location that had lots of washcloths for hand drying in the bathroom rather than paper towels.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 AM

Years ago before Industrial Wipes Complex took hold we just used baby wipes. I still find the bio/bamboo wipes handy to have around but don't use them too much. I usually carry a pack when traveling however.

What I found most useful when having to commute more than a few miles was a solution a co-worker came up with. Basically if I recall it was along the lines of: water, alcohol, tea tree oil, witch hazel and maybe a drop of eucalyptus or other. We kept it in a spray bottle. I'd just give myself a spray and use a wet washcloth. Seemed more effective and less waste.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
reduce your waste and get a mega-pack of white washcloths. Go in the bathroom to change, wet one with water and just a dot of Dr. Bronners soap (or whatever soap you want). wash off. have another wet one with just water for the rinse. then a final one or two for the dry off. Then chuck them all in a dirty clothes bag. Then on the day you drive, take them all home for a wash. I also find this leaves me feeling cleaner than the wipes. I think I am actually cleaner, too.
I use the spacious handicapped stall for this.

Only really works if you don't bike every single day. You need a car day to replenish clean hand towels.

I got this idea from being at a location that had lots of washcloths for hand drying in the bathroom rather than paper towels.
Funny you mentioned Bronners. I'm sure we put a drop of it in the mix. Always have that stuff around. The best was the couple stores we built out and the landlord installed showers. These were "outdoor" stores and bike shops back in the late 80's early 90's It was a great perk for commuters and runners etc at work. We sure worked and played hard.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 AM

I only have 5.5 miles each way and i shower before i go to work, so normally, i just hang out in the locker room and drink cold water for a bit so i dont look like a sweaty mess. Even then, ill still sweat through whatever shirt i change into for an hour or two after i get in.