Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2022, 03:09 PM

hi folks! (very) recent transplant. are there any good loops out of Hillcrest/North Park? recommended shops nearby? Seems like most of the rides discussed in this thread so far are a ways out from the city center.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0 View Post
hi folks! (very) recent transplant. are there any good loops out of Hillcrest/North Park? recommended shops nearby? Seems like most of the rides discussed in this thread so far are a ways out from the city center.
Point Loma to Cabrillo Monument.
Bike path from Coronado around the south bay, you can take the ferry back if you want to do a loop.
Rose canyon bike path to La Jolla
Old 06-07-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Tons.

- Go south through Downtown to IB and back through the Strand and Coronado
- Ride east to Lakeside, back the 52 bike path, then Kearny Villa Road to Moreno to Washington or Old Town
- Pop down through Old Town to Moreno, to Rose Canyon path, then all the way to Oceanside if you want
Old 06-07-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I'll start with the shops: Uptown Cycles seems to have the most consistent Sat/Sun group rides out of that set of neighborhoods. Definitely check them out. They recently closed their Bankers Hill location so the Adams Ave spot is your primary. Curtis, the owner is a great person and leads a lot of the rides. They normally post their weekend rides on Thursday or so on their Instagram page.

I'm partial to Adams Ave Bikes as well, though their group rides are a bit more limited. Tuesday nights they do DIR-TNR (a dirt ride in Florida Canyon before "Tuesday Night Races" at the Velodrome), and a lot more MTB and east county adventure/camping type rides. A more serious road ride on Monday nights is the "Mondaynightsmackdown" ride hosted by Cole (not a shop employee, but there is an IG page for it). It goes out through mission trails and then over the 52 climb behind Mission Trails park and back to the shop through MV and up Texas as a finisher.

It really all depends what kind of riding you are looking to do out of that area. Feel free to DM me and I can try to get you connected to some of the locals/ride leaders and you can meet more people.

Other rides: I used to meet a buddy at BetterBuzz in HC. We would head out through mission hills, down presidio, though old town, to the bay, past fiesta, and from there.. up Soledad, up to UCSD and down Torrey Pines and beyond depending on how legs were feeling that day. Can also go south through downtown, follow the 5 south to Chula/Imperial Beach, and up the strand. Take the ferry back across to downtown and head home. lots of variation, and plenty of stuff on my Strava for all these routes.

As others said, Cabrillo and Point Loma can be good. There's all the sides of Soledad. Coffee Cycle Roasting used to put on a "hippie-crit" that would climb all the 7 routes up Soledad as well. When it's cooler out, lots of the east county stuff is nice as well, but I don't recommend it during the summer heat.

Let me know if you'd like more info about any of it.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
I'll start with the shops: Uptown Bicycles seems to have the most consistent Sat/Sun group rides out of that set of neighborhoods. Definitely check them out. They recently closed their Bankers Hill location so the Adams Ave spot is your primary. Curtis, the owner is a great person and leads a lot of the rides. They normally post their weekend rides on Thursday or so on their Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/uptownbicycles/

Saturdays @ 11am, no spandex rides, meet up for coffee/mimosas @ 10:30ish - Usually sub 20 miles hitting up a few bars/restaurants along the way. No drop, casual 10-12mph pace.

Sundays @ 8:30am, are more more of your traditional group ride, 16-20mph pace, 40-60 miles on average.

I'm one of the mechanics, feel free to say hi over the weekend if you stop by.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
Tons.

- Go south through Downtown to IB and back through the Strand and Coronado
- Ride east to Lakeside, back the 52 bike path, then Kearny Villa Road to Moreno to Washington or Old Town
- Pop down through Old Town to Moreno, to Rose Canyon path, then all the way to Oceanside if you want
Do you mean Morena Blvd?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Do you mean Morena Blvd?
Yup. My bad.