Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Rando

This is the bike I build for myself - to replace my Kirk. Not as nicely made of course but it feels nice to ride something I made myself. my 16th bike

Last edited by timto; 12-05-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM

I have seen pictures of your work. Very nice including this one. Care to talk about the bike and what you were looking for?

Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
I have seen pictures of your work. Very nice including this one. Care to talk about the bike and what you were looking for?

Mike

Thanks for the compliment!

When I went to Doug Fattic's class years ago I was only interested in road bikes - you know, short reach brakes, skinny tires, 'race' looking things.

Truth is I never race and while I appreciate the bare bones basics of a roadie I also became a Bicycle Quarterly reader and that really expanded my personal definition of bikes I like. I also had kids and less overall riding time. I also moved to Vancouver where there is a lot of rain. I also did my first doubles.

So all of a sudden the priorities started to shift. I started to become interested in big tires, fenders, smooth ride, proper gearing for 12km climbs (like Cypress, Seymour) and yikes - even bikes that 'plane'. The bar bag was a natural extension of 10 hour unsupported rides. The coupler part of it was the dream to participate in rides like Ballers or the D2R2...

So there you have it. The result is:
  • Cantis for big tire clearance (big 700 c or CX )
  • Dedicated bar bag/rack (vs the handlebar mounted one i was using)
  • Low trail fork by Joel of Clockwork bikes to dial in handling with the extra front weight - unicrown fillet to match the frame construction
  • Couplers for travel to gravel rides
  • Low gears

Overall I'm really pleased with the results. I'll never ride tires narrower than 28 ever again. That really limits the frames out there I'd buy off the shelf. I'm constantly thinking of ways to get down to one bike and this will do nicely for this season. I have a fillet sloper I just made for my 7800 double group but like this one so much I may just sell the pure roadie...The low trail I don't even notice , I guess I adapt quick. What is really awesome is a nice bar bag - i can access even while riding (flap is elasticized and just gives nicely to allow access) where i can put my phone (to see if my wife is looking for me!), route sheets etc..

Anyway thanks for reading. Full set of pictures here

Tim

Last edited by timto; 03-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Everything is connected

Nice work Tim.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Riding Along

Very well done.