Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
why's it so expensive?
It's machined from a solid piece of aluminum - at a machine shop down the street from me in Vancouver Canada. I don't get enough made to have lower per unit costs and having stuff made locally vs abroad costs more.

I am exploring alternative methods (2 piece assembly) or materials (wood) but haven't landed on a satisfactory design yet...
Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 PM

seems like something you could whip up on emachineshop for about a 10th the price.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 AM

If that's the case, that's a lot of material waste. Probably $20 worth of aluminum (ignoring recycling) down the tube.

A threaded base plate (think pipe flange) or even welding the base might work out cheaper in the end.

IDK if the design is an expansion plug or a threaded end cap, but either way...a simplification of the machining ops and the elimination of machining a lot of waste should cut production time (and therefore cost).

I made a similar piece out of wood when my last frame was painted and brought it and my cheapo workstand to my painter to use.

Another simple design is to support the frame thru the BB shell, plug the DS end and lock the position thru the cable guide hole/threading.

Any of these designs are simple, really. Cut down your material costs and ops and sell a simpler/cheaper design/product at greater volume...

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timto View Post
It's machined from a solid piece of aluminum - at a machine shop down the street from me in Vancouver Canada. I don't get enough made to have lower per unit costs and having stuff made locally vs abroad costs more.

I am exploring alternative methods (2 piece assembly) or materials (wood) but haven't landed on a satisfactory design yet...
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks Mark - when designing this the machine shop had told me the material costs were inconsequential compared to the added labor involved in making it a multi step/multi part process. I was also told that metal is all recycled fwiw.

Wood is incidentally one area I'm investigating and of course multi part incorporating some frame building techniques like silver brazing and steel tubing! I'll likely add those as additional options and leave the existing design as is for the most streamlined alternative of hopefully multiples in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
If that's the case, that's a lot of material waste. Probably $20 worth of aluminum (ignoring recycling) down the tube.

A threaded base plate (think pipe flange) or even welding the base might work out cheaper in the end.

IDK if the design is an expansion plug or a threaded end cap, but either way...a simplification of the machining ops and the elimination of machining a lot of waste should cut production time (and therefore cost).

I made a similar piece out of wood when my last frame was painted and brought it and my cheapo workstand to my painter to use.

Another simple design is to support the frame thru the BB shell, plug the DS end and lock the position thru the cable guide hole/threading.

Any of these designs are simple, really. Cut down your material costs and ops and sell a simpler/cheaper design/product at greater volume...

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 AM

That's a clean way to mount a frame, but pretty pricey
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Why not ride? Does not compute.