Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 PM

I realize their are many choices for backpacks, but I don’t really know why anyone would look past the osprey radial 26 for just bike commuting. I personally do not understand the boutique small brands that offer burly designs with heavy materials but don’t have suspension and airframe design to keep it significantly more comfortable.

That said, I’d go rack in the rear if you are doing a commuter specific. I don’t really like how it changed the handling on my bike, a single speed, but it’s not noticed when just pedaling along on flats. I had issues on steep hills out of saddle. I was quite happy with ortliebs.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM

I love my Ortlieb trunk bag, but your laptop will probably need to be on the svelte side for it to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 PM

A dirt-cheap solution is the Axiom Streamliner Road DLX Rack plus any set of cheap panniers. The rack is bolted to the brake bridge and held in place by the rear skewer. I did a multi-day trip with about 50 lbs of gear on my Allez and didn't have any issues with bike handling or my feet catching. Changing a flat is not as fast as it would be with an eyelet-mounted rack, but it's not a challenging operation.

The rack has gone on to live a long and happy life on another bike, and it is still going strong after four years and many, many commutes in the Boston area.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 PM

I do the majority of my training before and after work on the commute home, so commuter bag is key part of my routine.

I've been through many of the options discussed...including using the Tailfin for over a year. While I liked the Tailfin, it can get slightly heavy and affecting your bike handling and the bag organization is not good (essentially one big pocket).

I am currently back in backpack world simply because they are lighter and don't effect bike handling much, and just more convenient to use on any bike. As long as I keep core strength up (which is a good thing anyways), I am plenty comfortable even putting in 60-70 mile days. Key is to pack light (keep shoes at my desk).

My go to bags:

-Timbuk2 Raider pack (not the especial, the old version) - super light, good organization, pretty good comfort, and cheap (my blue version is $53 on Amazon)

-USWE Airborne 15 - my newest addition, this is actually a hydration pack (with bladder removed for commuting). However, super comfortable, very breathable, great harness system. Room enough for my 14" thinkpad plus clothes. Really enjoying this bag.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I realize their are many choices for backpacks, but I don’t really know why anyone would look past the osprey radial 26 for just bike commuting. I personally do not understand the boutique small brands that offer burly designs with heavy materials but don’t have suspension and airframe design to keep it significantly more comfortable.

That said, I’d go rack in the rear if you are doing a commuter specific. I don’t really like how it changed the handling on my bike, a single speed, but it’s not noticed when just pedaling along on flats. I had issues on steep hills out of saddle. I was quite happy with ortliebs.
The packs in question are designed around the notion that you are on a road bike. The Osprey were originally intended for ATB. The load with say the Mission or ILE sits much higher on your back more like a good messenger bag vs carrying the weight closer to your lumbar with the Osprey. They may have newer models but that is how I have always seen them.

The Osprey works double duty as it's more comfy off the bike. The Mission/ILE style bags don't fit as comfy off the bike but that is why they shine when riding.

I strongly discourage trying to rig a rear rack on an aluminum road bike not meant to support it.