Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Cassette and wheels. Lots a of availability, options and price points without having to look too far. Something tells me that we won't see a lot of thru axle wheels with a campy body ready to go out of a box without laying down some coin and waiting a while
Fulcrum wheels offer all 3(or 4? or 5?) FHB types..When shimano goes micro spline, that'll be offered also, pretty sure.
Many hub makers(like BITEX) offer the bunches as well. Pretty 'interesting' that Campag has gone to 12 w/o a new FHB..yet shimano didn't even have a 11s FHB and microspline will be 'another' 'standard'....and sram is unique with not only 11s but also how 12s FHB aren't backwards compatible(or 11s forward..)...
Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 AM

I'm pretty hard core Campy, but I've got a Ti bike set with Ultegra 8000 and really like it. It sees the most miles.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:40 AM
50 bpm

The choices are all great. It's a good time to be a geek.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
It can also be the hoods getting in the way i have at least had that happen to me.

+1 I have had this happen when the hood is being obstructed by the bar tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 08:45 AM

I was a lifelong Campagnolo user until I wasn't. Shimano for me now though my nightmare experience with a GRX Di2 build this winter made me question everything. It's all documented ATH so I won't go into it here but it left a very sour taste in my mouth about the brand and the technology. Some of it was probably user error but I'm not a newby wrench by a long shot and this stuff left me very cold. I'll see how it works for a season and then give a verdict.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
It can also be the hoods getting in the way i have at least had that happen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
+1 I have had this happen when the hood is being obstructed by the bar tape.
Just making sure we're talking about the same thing here. The shift lever to go up a cog in the rear, correct? I just took a look and im not sure how the hood could get in the way. There is a good amount of hard plastic body between the hoods and the lever.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:56 AM

I am sure that my main road bike will always be set up with Campy parts. On one of my upcoming builds I will be putting on sram 10 or 11 drivetrain parts.
I have tried shimano road a quite a few times and could not or would not get used to the whole brake lever as the shifter.
I will still be a campy fan boy on my main road bikes but will be exploring options on my next build.
I just really like the flick of a finger shift and have gotten used to it after riding the 333 ALS 650B for awhile. It just seems to work on this bike.
I do not see me anytime in the near future going electronic or disc on a road bike. I guess on just kinda old school when it comes to rim brake and mechanical,It just works for me.

Last edited by skiezo; 02-24-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Just making sure we're talking about the same thing here. The shift lever to go up a cog in the rear, correct? I just took a look and im not sure how the hood could get in the way. There is a good amount of hard plastic body between the hoods and the lever.
Thought you said the thumb shifter?
Thats what we were talking about anyways.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thought you said the thumb shifter?
Thats what we were talking about anyways.
Yeah sorry for the confusion. the thumb shifter is how i notice it because it doesnt move, but its because the other shifter is stuck in a not resting state. Its ever so slightly pushed in, and when that happens, you cant use the thumbshifter until its pulled back into place.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:09 AM

Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea yea yea.

we get it; some of you would rather drive an automatic Honda Accord than a 911 because it's cheaper and more "practical".

have fun with that.

That's an opinion of the difference but it's not indeed a fact. People have found SRAM and/or Shimano as good as it better than Campy.

Ride what you like but such analogies don't ring true with everyone.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post

Some times the hood isn’t seated correctly and the rubber can obstruct the lever action or thumb button. I have had my handlebar wrap not allow for the lever to go to or return to the proper position. The hood has some protruding rubber that should fit into the recessed part on the plastic body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 10:23 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Just ride a few miles with the levers released for wheel removal to rule out if the levers are interfering/dragging with each other.

Besides how my hands like ergos since 11s asymmetrical shape came into play. I really like how while climbing you can 'one finger' hold the downshift paddle with no effort in 'ready for a bump up' shift to steeper grades.

early 2019 I actually did 4 bikes swap over from 'S' to 'C'. I ride either them or a di2 bike when I choose what I am riding.

Unfortunately and not surprisingly, yet another 'C' VS 'S' has ensued to a degree, yawn.

Last edited by robt57; 02-24-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I got sucked in to the Shimano river back when I really wanted to make my PDM Concorde a 'team issue' replica but couldn't afford C-Record.

Had some Sachs New Success for a bit when I could get it for 40% off and enjoyed the thumb button. That was back when you took the STI/Ergos off for the winter and stuck bar-cons back on so you didn't ruin your stuff...

Same time I had Ergos, the un-named Texan was racing w a DT shifter on one side and STI on the other so I ordered a spare left brake body and moved my brake lever over and copied the 'no guts in the left shifter' thing. After all... you don't shift out of the big ring in a crit anyways!

Had Red 10sp when Shimano went too light on their 10sp stuff and moved back when the long arm front derailleurs came out.

I've built a few E-Tap bikes and like the no wires thing, but SRAM still doesn't seem to make front derailleurs that shift well. Don't get me started on their bleeding procedures! Ugh!

Anyone notice that SRAM has resurrected freewheels w the XD driver?

My bikes are all Shimano 11sp (S11) because I want cross compatibility across all the road-based bikes. Moving to TA and CLD wheels as I build new bikes.

M
Old 02-24-2020, 10:49 AM

Anyone still using Campy 10 should consider just skipping 11 altogether and move on to 12 speed. I switched to gen 1 Campy 11, late in 2008 when it first came available, but only tried gen 2 11 speed in 2018, after an 8 year hiatus from cycling. I moved on to Chorus 12 last July and like the shifters better than either 11 speed. You would really have to try to jamb the thumb button, but it's possible if you're pushing the finger lever at the same time. Never had a problem either of my two pairs of shifters.

When I use the thumb button, I just swing my thumb back and the the end of the button hits the first joint of my thumb. That's where I push from. There's no need to place the end of your thumb on the button.

With the new levers, all you do is jamb the button all the way down to make the shift to the little ring. After releasing the button, there remains one more to trim the FD to the left, if the largest 2-3 sprockets will be used. I never find myself needing any other trim position on the FD.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
because I want cross compatibility across all the road-based bikes
Which brings me to a point I neglected to mention.

Before 11s C and S wheels are 99-44/100% compatible cog spacing, I'd not considered the lateral investing to accomplish my goal of loosing the swinging brake lever shift.

In the 2017-18 riding seasons I had a nagging right elbow tendon thing going on. Even with Dura Ace buttery levers the constant swing irritated the tunnel [cubital] enough the injury was not getting better.

My wife had Micro Shift levers because they DwnShft under load better than anything else we had used to that point, and she is a late shifter to detriment on hills [35RPM grinding shifts, argh!].

I rode her bike and no pain in the elbow, I ordered some for myself. A season of Mirco STi cured my elbow, rather allowed it to heal I guess. So there that is in case anyone else has a cubital tunnel irritation going on, note it.