Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
open to hearing your meaning...but could you give translation Mtech? yay or nay on hand washing etc?
To the best of my knowledge, washing/sanitizing your hands and not touching your face is the most effective thing you can do to prevent getting the coronavirus. My comment was mostly poking fun at people that don't want to accept that this is the best option, because it's both simple and nearly impossible (for some) at the same time.

The mask probably helps but the problem is that if a sick person is coughing, the virus travels on water droplets, and if the droplets land on your mask (the droplets are too big to get through N95) they will eventually evaporate and allow you to inhale the virus (the virus itself can go through N95). The mask is most effective for sick people to not spread it to others.

Again this is just to the best of my knowledge, I'm not a health care professional.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
We're all operating in a bit of an information vacuum, and only going off what gets published. I am not doing the science myself, but I did get my bachelors degree in genetics, so I am pretty familiar with DNA. My understanding of the claim is not that there was single base pair mutation, but that it was an insertion of a significant sequence of DNA from the HIV genome.

This article does a pretty good job of shooting down the claim.

At the same time, this article from earlier today notes that there is an HIV like mutation. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...scientists-say

So, to sum it up:

Make up your own mind.

Going back to my original post, I stand behind it:

I'm not convinced it is man made -- there is certainly no proof. There are just some things that, taken on their own, make you consider the possibility. And that is all it takes for a good conspiracy theory to get off the ground.

If you want a real conspiracy theory, there is a story going around that the Corona virus was smuggled out of a Canadian bioweapon lab by Chinese spies. That has been debunked.

so it's basically an aids offshoot you are saying? no wonder folks are losing their nut then...tie sex, no matter how deep down, even a distant relative... to dying and disease...and bingo...that's getting somewhere then I think....
Old 02-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
so it's basically an aids offshoot you are saying?
I don't think that is what I'm saying
Old 02-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I don't think that is what I'm saying
well, I did see HIV there bud...sorry for the jump...ideas go that way...like virus stuff actually...
Old 02-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
First of all, I am not a proponent of this theory. If the Coronavirus was a bio weapon it would be more deadly or specialized in some way, and also the Chinese would likely already have a vaccine.

Secondly, you just seem like you desperately want to argue with someone, anyone, regardless of whether you are making any points or even making sense. That's fine but the lease you can do is not go around and spread misinformation like "oh wear a mask it's like the flu" when experts are saying to wash your hands and not touch your face because the mask isn't necessarily effective. You think you know what you're talking about but you don't.
You found out i woke up today feeling desperate to react to the "truth that´s not being told about corona virus". Excellent psychological observation .
Old 02-27-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
To the best of my knowledge, washing/sanitizing your hands and not touching your face is the most effective thing you can do to prevent getting the coronavirus. My comment was mostly poking fun at people that don't want to accept that this is the best option, because it's both simple and nearly impossible (for some) at the same time.

The mask probably helps but the problem is that if a sick person is coughing, the virus travels on water droplets, and if the droplets land on your mask (the droplets are too big to get through N95) they will eventually evaporate and allow you to inhale the virus (the virus itself can go through N95). The mask is most effective for sick people to not spread it to others.

Again this is just to the best of my knowledge, I'm not a health care professional.
You are right on this one.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Randomhead

I don't understand why it matters if it was released from a bio lab or not. It's out there.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 PM

After watching people in an airport get through security and proceed directly to eating popcorn with their hands and licking their fingers (and similar on public transpo and elsewhere), I'm going to go ahead and say that there is a large portion of the general public too dense to defend themselves in even the simplest of manners...

I will say that this whole thing is going to have me cooking/eating at home more often - until we have medicare and paid sick leave for all, the service industry in the US is going to continue to be a disease-breeding ground - those folks making near minimum wage with little to no health insurance or any ability to not go to work when sick with anything from a cold to a flu to pink-eye are put in a very unfortunate position.

Consider the irony of ordering in your food or grocery deliveries to avoid being in public when your gig-economy delivery person has no health-care, no sick-days, and is simply traveling the same routes you would have been but with no hand-washing and more coming into contact with random people by way of their deliveries........hmmm..
Old 02-27-2020, 12:13 PM
Administrator

what's the "stay time" for this kind of thing on hard surfaces?

let's say captain corona grabs the subway handrail - how long after he let's go before it's no longer a threat?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

let's say captain corona grabs the subway handrail - how long after he let's go before it's no longer a threat?
I heard it could not last a week. But dont know where or how credible that was.

Think this was in regard to a thread on a bike forum if the post office could have packages from china that contained the virus.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
"...Consider the irony..."
Posters were ridiculed earlier in this thread for suggesting to have a decent supply of water, non-perishable healthy food, basic medicine, batteries, and other supplies to sit tight at home for 10-14 days.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't understand why it matters if it was released from a bio lab or not. It's out there.
You can almost spell the word "other" from the word "pathology."
Old 02-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Several hours.

The handrail is a concern, but, say, goods shipped from China are not.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

I will say that this whole thing is going to have me cooking/eating at home more often - until we have medicare and paid sick leave for all, the service industry in the US is going to continue to be a disease-breeding ground - those folks making near minimum wage with little to no health insurance or any ability to not go to work when sick with anything from a cold to a flu to pink-eye are put in a very unfortunate position.

Consider the irony of ordering in your food or grocery deliveries to avoid being in public when your gig-economy delivery person has no health-care, no sick-days, and is simply traveling the same routes you would have been but with no hand-washing and more coming into contact with random people by way of their deliveries........hmmm..
Hmmm... what if you catch it from a highly paid exec. flying from Milan? Cause that´s it got to South America.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Posters were ridiculed earlier in this thread for suggesting to have a decent supply of water, non-perishable healthy food, basic medicine, batteries, and other supplies to sit tight at home for 10-14 days.
Peeps can do what they want, I'm just saying some isolation approaches are more logical than others. I don't plan to hole-up or go doomsday prepper......if push came to shove, I could live for two weeks without much food and just some water.. It'd be a shame tho if I got down to 75kg that way and didn't have a Dogma X-Light to ride when the smoke cleared..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk