Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 PM

just ordered an inreach. Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 06:12 AM

When I was shopping around ~8 years ago, I ended up getting a ResQLink PLB rather than a SPOT because I'd heard several reports of the SPOT tracking function failing to update/incorrectly showing no movement. If the main point of the tracking is to reassure family this seemed counterproductive--I don't want a finicky device to make my wife/parents think I'm lying dead by the side of the trail. I don't know if SPOTs have improved since then.

I still have the PLB and carry it regularly. I've never had to use it but can say it's been nice to be able to just leave it in my pack and forget about it--no need to worry about subscriptions, batteries, etc. This was especially convenient when I was going on several multi-day backcountry trips a year.

Now that we have a kid I'd probably get a garmin/inreach in order to have the two-way communication--I'd want to know if there's an emergency and I need to come home.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Supplement chances of being located

While modern GPS has greatly improved, it is still subject to the possibility of position/location error. It is a good idea to supplement electronic devices with visual and audible signaling equipment.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:00 AM

Just a tip for the shoppers, you can often pick up a lightly used delorme brand inreach (same device, garmin bought them) from ebay at half what a new one costs.