Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 PM

Wheel folks! Need best option for re lacing used hub.

I am about to build some wheels 2x pattern with used White Industries MI6 28h hubs. The 650b rims have 1.8mm offset spoke drilling. Spoke lengths are pretty close at 257mm and 258mm. (Not sure how much of this info is useless.)

I know the best pattern for hub brakes is one where the spokes that gain tension during braking forces ("pushing spokes") are heads in. I also know that when reusing hubs it is best to lace in the same configuration as before.
I'm fairly confident the previous use was a 2x pattern. However, on only the left side of both hubs the "pushing" spokes were heads out. Is there a reason I'm unaware of? The right sides are "correct".

What is my best option? Disregard both left sides previous pattern and go for the better lacing? Lose strength of the wheel but maintain flange integrity? Am I overlooking something?

A couple pictures of the left front showing my desired lacing.
IMG-4243.jpg
IMG-4247.jpg

Right side.
IMG-4244.jpg

General picture of my desired lacing.
IMG-4248.jpg
Old 02-26-2020, 04:42 AM

The hubs were originally laced the way they were to make it easy to lace the rim. Two sets of spokes were inserted, with the spokes leading in the same direction, without flipping the assembly over, which is somewhat faster.

I would follow the original lacing and not what you did; the metal grain has already deformed, and changing the orientation of the spokes now can lead to cracked hub flanges. I've seen it happen.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Mirror image 'lacing', can be easier, faster to lace. Outside pulling one side, inside pulling, the other BUT, the important thing is to have the spokes be oriented in terms of pushing or 'pulling' the same as a previous lace. BUT, even if inside pulling on one side, it can be laced 'outside' pulling(head in) as long as its still a 'pulling' spoke.

In the grand scheme of things, head in or head out doesn't mean a lot. BOTH work fine if the wheel is built properly in terms of tension, roundness, dish and having been stress relieved.

The guy that taught me wheelbuilding(in 1985--YIKES!!) described a wheel as a series of triangles..including the triangle created by the hub(base) and either side spokes as they went up to the rim. Larger base(outside pulling both sides) makes for a more stable 'triangle'..not sure it matters but that's how I lace rim brake wheels

BTW-For 28h rears, I normally lace 3 cross..