Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 08:52 PM

OT: warming up pre-race

My son has a big indoor track meet coming up and running the 1500 and 3k. The challenge is they will be calling the racers over about 30-45 minutes before race where they just will wait in line. Typically we are warming up right up to race time. Any good tips on how to get warm up in while just standing in line? Run in place? Jumping jacks? Thanks all for any tips!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:43 AM

Current performance physiology studies indicate 6-7 minus warmup max, anything beyond is just burning energy reserves. Warm up, do the closest related activity you are going to participate/compete in, run in place.

Last edited by m_sasso; 02-25-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 AM

Perform deep knee bends/body weight squats. The heartrate will go up, and the muscles will warm up. Try performing a 1 minute set/4 minute rest regimen up until race time.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM

High knees and but kicks!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Administrator

ahh, i remember the good old days of indoor track.

where is he running?

anyway, for an indoor meet, where you're not standing outside freezing, this is no big deal. do a short warm up run wherever there is room well prior to the race and relax and stretch while waiting for the gun to go off.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Tired Member

For either of those distances, you want enough to be loose and warm. Anything that get's the heart rate up and simulates the motions of running. Jumping jacks are lateral, so not a good choice, but better than nothing. Running in place or from deep bends to a straight up jump in place would work (we used to call them rockets). Anything should be relatively slow (ie not as fast as he can do it), as it's a warm up. The competition comes afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Current performance physiology studies indicate 6-7 minus warmup max, anything beyond is just burning energy reserves. Warm up, do the closest related activity you are going to participate/compete in, run in place.
It really depends on the effort. For either of those distances, a runner has enough energy stores that it's not an issue. I'd put this more in the range of "whatever the runner is used to" ... definitely not too much, but enough to open up the systems and get them warm.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Again current performance physiology studies indicate high level competitors that utilize stretching before events showed reduced performance.

If you are looking for an outstanding synopsis of current Sport Science and physiology look here, really great resources
https://ylmsportscience.com

https://ylmsportscience.files.wordpr...gok.png?w=2048

Old 02-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
It really depends on the effort. For either of those distances, a runner has enough energy stores that it's not an issue. I'd put this more in the range of "whatever the runner is used to" ... definitely not too much, but enough to open up the systems and get them warm.
Agreed, a competitor would be advised not to make changes from their regular routine before an important competition, however a keen competitor should establish optimal routines durning training before attempting maximal performance if they want to compete at their best and highest level.

Again some top information on current warm up sports science https://ylmsportscience.com/category/warm-up/

Last edited by m_sasso; 02-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:39 PM
AZ Slowpoke

I have always been a big adherent to the philosophy of using the short warm-up before a competition, going back 35 years. But, as I age I note that it does take a bit longer to get ready and I'm better off starting gentle.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:06 PM

He’ll be running at the Ocean Breeze Complex in Staten Island NY at the USATF National Youth Indoor Championships. Awesome facility if you get a chance to go. They have a warm up track area but they call racers way before start of race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ahh, i remember the good old days of indoor track.

where is he running?

anyway, for an indoor meet, where you're not standing outside freezing, this is no big deal. do a short warm up run wherever there is room well prior to the race and relax and stretch while waiting for the gun to go off.