Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 PM

I must say that I grew up in Chicago and winters were easier to deal with because we could always wear another sweater, etc. but when it's 90+ F and 80% humidity in summer we could only reduce our clothing so far before we got arrested. OTOH I lived in Alabama for 2+ years and adjusted well enough to play Rugby and soccer year round.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Timely.... last September or so my wife and I visited her brother and sister who live in Northern Wisconsin (Hawshaw near Rhinelander and Wausau) with the intent of looking at some properties to see IF it was possible for us to find one that would meet our needs. for a future move The reason for considering a move from Northern California to Wisconsin is 95% motivated by family issues. We are happy with our California lifestyle and all the cycling and other amenities it offers. But, as we age the family issues are taking precedence.

Anyway, I took my bike on the fall Wisconsin trip and did enough riding to convince me that riding the rural roads was a pleasure: little traffic, generally respectful drivers, and good scenery. The presence of ATV's on the roads in some of the rural areas was a bit unnerving, but it seems to be just a fact of life there. The cycling opportunities seemed to be ok and we looked at properties to make sure that in the future we could find a place that meets our needs.

The original plan was to move in a year or so after we got our house and lives in order. However, we are closing on a house early next month that is about 15 miles southwest of Rhinelander on a small lake with 6 acres. We found the right house at the wrong time. And, we failed in our efforts to downsize from our current 2900 square feet home since the new house is 4900 square feet, but it is on a lake, it is near enough but far enough from the relatives, and it is in a rural, quiet area. We compromised on size for the other factors.

My wife's major requirement for the property was that it be on a lake and near her sister. Mine was that it have good cycling opportunities and not require too much maintenance. We are concerned about the long and cold winters, but we visited again in early December in a particularly cold spell with a lot of snow and it was, well, ok. Somehow the snow was very calming and I think it will offer some opportunities for new outside exercise and the house is big enough I will have a dedicated Zwift room for the winter days when I cannot ride outside.

We have lived in our current house for 30 years and the process of getting this house ready to sell, sorting through our stuff, and organizing a move is daunting at this point. But, we are hoping to be in the Northwoods by May or so and I am looking forward to exploring the roads around our new house. There is a designated "silent sports" area adjacent to our property where folks mountain bike, but since I am a roadie I am not sure if that will be an asset or not.

Anyway, that's my Wisconsin story so far.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
And for the record not sold outside of Wisconsin as far as I know.

True story. I have to drive across the border to purchase beer from New Glarus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

Do you get a Limburger and onion sandwich at the tavern while you are there?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 PM

check these out:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=wisconsin

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=wisconsin
Old 02-24-2020, 01:29 PM

I generally roll straight to the liquor store and back to my pad but there are an ample number of Taverns between the border and the liquor store where I’m sure one could be had.

One of the great things about Wisconsin is the number of pubs and taverns. They are more ubiquitous than gas stations and in some places you might find all under one roof with a convenience store and pool table thrown in for good measure.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Timely.... last September or so my wife and I visited her brother and sister who live in Northern Wisconsin (Hawshaw near Rhinelander and Wausau) with the intent of looking at some properties to see IF it was possible for us to find one that would meet our needs. for a future move The reason for considering a move from Northern California to Wisconsin is 95% motivated by family issues. We are happy with our California lifestyle and all the cycling and other amenities it offers. But, as we age the family issues are taking precedence.

Anyway, I took my bike on the fall Wisconsin trip and did enough riding to convince me that riding the rural roads was a pleasure: little traffic, generally respectful drivers, and good scenery. The presence of ATV's on the roads in some of the rural areas was a bit unnerving, but it seems to be just a fact of life there. The cycling opportunities seemed to be ok and we looked at properties to make sure that in the future we could find a place that meets our needs.

The original plan was to move in a year or so after we got our house and lives in order. However, we are closing on a house early next month that is about 15 miles southwest of Rhinelander on a small lake with 6 acres. We found the right house at the wrong time. And, we failed in our efforts to downsize from our current 2900 square feet home since the new house is 4900 square feet, but it is on a lake, it is near enough but far enough from the relatives, and it is in a rural, quiet area. We compromised on size for the other factors.

My wife's major requirement for the property was that it be on a lake and near her sister. Mine was that it have good cycling opportunities and not require too much maintenance. We are concerned about the long and cold winters, but we visited again in early December in a particularly cold spell with a lot of snow and it was, well, ok. Somehow the snow was very calming and I think it will offer some opportunities for new outside exercise and the house is big enough I will have a dedicated Zwift room for the winter days when I cannot ride outside.

We have lived in our current house for 30 years and the process of getting this house ready to sell, sorting through our stuff, and organizing a move is daunting at this point. But, we are hoping to be in the Northwoods by May or so and I am looking forward to exploring the roads around our new house. There is a designated "silent sports" area adjacent to our property where folks mountain bike, but since I am a roadie I am not sure if that will be an asset or not.

Anyway, that's my Wisconsin story so far.
Nice post... you’re in a good spot.

One downside of the Madison area is the spotty snow we’ve over the past decade or so. XC skiing and snow shoeing opportunities have suffered. So just a few degrees warmer than where you’re headed... but much less consistent good snow.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

Genuine question (and I'm not trying to troll here), is New Glarus really that good?

I've had their summer beer (the one that's infused with cherry); it's good, but i've had similar kriek beers before

Granted, we were going to go down to New Glarus in the summer anyway, but if it's truly that good, we'll count our blessings and load up on it
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Genuine question (and I'm not trying to troll here), is New Glarus really that good?

I've had their summer beer (the one that's infused with cherry); it's good, but i've had similar kriek beers before

Granted, we were going to go down to New Glarus in the summer anyway, but if it's truly that good, we'll count our blessings and load up on it
They have many different varieties; and really a great ride from Madison. Lightly traveled roads, bucolic scenery, some challenging hills... and some good bakery, beer and restaurants at your destination.

From Paoli: Observatory Rd to Hwy A, then west to Fritz Rd, short jump on Hwy 69 over to Argue Rd, and then a steep climb and descent into NG on Kubly Rd.

Last edited by thwart; 02-25-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Whoops, forgot a section
Old 02-24-2020, 10:24 PM

I recall seeing the CamRock bike park in Cambridge (quick! which NASCAR driver hailed from Cambridge?) on one of the PAW trips. Also, some trails in the John Muir Woods near LaGrange.
https://www.madcitydirt.com/

Is the set of Wisconsin bike maps still produced?
The last copy I have was bought in 2003 at Wheel and Sprocket the weekend Hales Corners Speedway closed (for a stinkin’ Menard’s).

Did the OP get a satisfactory answer?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
I recall seeing the CamRock bike park in Cambridge (quick! which NASCAR driver hailed from Cambridge?) on one of the PAW trips. Also, some trails in the John Muir Woods near LaGrange.
https://www.madcitydirt.com/
Plus Wisco has a couple of IMBA epic trails at Levi Mound and Rock Lake for your mtb.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:47 AM
Certified Campy Snob

Go Badgers!

You will love Mad Town. I went to school there as have all three of my kids. Yellow Jersey Co-Op closing was a blow, but the city remains incredibly bike friendly. Best circuit: Picnic Point to Memorial Union, Spotted Cow on the Terrace, rinse and repeat as many times as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bucky on snow.jpg (12.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by PBWrench; 02-25-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Totally agree. Southwest and western Wisconsin have exceptional cycling. As good as any I’ve seen almost anywhere.
truth, riding to Soldier's Grove from Madison was a big highlight of my cross-country trip
Old 02-29-2020, 10:37 AM

Wisconsin is the best

I grew up in Wisconsin and have lived in 12 different states. I love to bike ride and miss Wisconsin everyday I ride. If you love road riding on quite roads with little traffic and now chip seal or goat heads it’s heaven. The only place I have liked better is rural France. Not enough bakeries in wi but on the other hand plenty of bars🙄. I only downside to Wisconsin is the long winters
Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM

Fly the FIB flag...

As a FIB I'm obligated by law to say Wisconsin is a wonderful state to visit. But truthfully, it is a great state for outdoor adventures. Fat biking and snowshoeing in the winter, camping, cycling and camping in the summer. It's the gateway to the UP... and riding is good in the UP in the summer.

Also of note, thanks to laws past last summer, we have a term for Wisconsinites who travel south... WPH (Wisconsin Pot Heads) Go to a dispensary in northern Illinois and at least 90% of the people will be from Wisconsin!

https://youtu.be/7OR7yPK4wEw
Seven Elium
Kirk Tandem