Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Wikipedia says there are only two still in operation,
That's still two more than most states have, and given that New Jersey has the largest population density of any state in the nation (and most residents live in the northern part of the state where the refineries are), that means a lot of New Jerseyites live near the refineries.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:54 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
are you coming to the NJ Gentlehuman ride??
I wish, my wife HS reunion number #&%^$# something....

Will be there on that day too.

I should add, the last 10 years in Joisey I was in a suit and gas near me was a no no. In fact now I said that, I recall why I started just staying in the car. An attendant once pulled the pump and swung it back to hang it and got me and the car, mostly the car. But my shoes and one pant leg.

Last edited by robt57; 02-24-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: muckity muck addition
Old 02-24-2020, 05:30 PM

I grew up in NJ (the Oranges) and moved to TN when I was 17, in part because I felt like I didn't have a connection to the reality of e.g., where food comes from (or how to plant a garden), or how to fix a lawnmower (or how to RUN a lawnmower), or just many aspects of reality outside of the suburban bubble. That included pumping gas. Honestly, I do not mind one whit getting out and pumping my own gas, and on the occasion that I go back to NJ, I feel kind of dumb sitting there having someone do it for me. Again, it just seems like a certain 'out of touchness'.......

It's not just about pumping gas....
Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM

I'd be surprised if there's still a petrol station anywhere in Australia that isn't self-serve. It's been like that for probably 25-30 years.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:00 PM
Pack fill

In PA you are allowed to pump your own gas, but I would love to see get changed so that an attendent would do it for you. Here's why, the vast majority of the pumps are at convince stores, WAWA, Sheetz, 7-Eleven and the like. Many folks pull up to the pump and get out and walk in to the store to get coffee, snacks, etc.. and then come out, get in the car and drive off. So they block access to the pumps for 10-15 minutes while they shop. I was so frustrated once I asked one of these d**kheads why they do it. The answer, it was easier than backing out of a parking space.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 PM

Union patronage jobs? Ha, that is pretty amusing. When I bought gas in NJ (mostly Essex and Morris Counties) most of the guys working the pumps were Asian or African immigrants and I don't think they were paid very well at all. And the wait times usually were due to understaffing relative to the amount of business they were doing. One got the impression that the owners were trying to comply with the law in the most skinflint way possible.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Don't even get me started on self-checkout lines.
Yup. I absolutely refuse to use them. I won’t be a part of helping cut another person out of a job.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:36 AM

Got gas in Jeerzy about a month ago on a college tour with one of the kids...are you supposed to tip them gas fillers people?

Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

It's a 'law' in NJ, no self service gas stations?? Who knew, never been to NJ..
Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
This is the crux behind the letter writer’s rant. He’s an extremely right wing Republican in a Democratically controlled state, so it has to be a Democrat conspiracy.
1949 law? Hmmmm, no sense doin' any research..eh?
Quote:
Alfred Eastlack Driscoll (October 25, 1902 – March 9, 1975) was an American Republican Party politician, who served in the New Jersey Senate (1939–1941) representing Camden County, who served as the 43rd Governor of New Jersey, 1947-1954
Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 AM

the gas pumping was an added bonus, lived in Morris County (Boonton Twp) before 287 was "finished" and had GREAT road and MTB riding (the Tourne park was out my back door, literally, with 15+ miles of singletrack). Oh, shhhhh, keep it secret.

This was the 90s though, I understand access has changed, but I look back fondly.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Older Than You

I think the last time someone pumped my gas for me was around 1976. I had a 36 gallon tank on a 3/4 ton Chevy van. On the Kansas Turnpike, wind blowing about 30 mph from the north and about 8 degrees above zero. I was very grateful....
Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yup. I absolutely refuse to use them. I won’t be a part of helping cut another person out of a job.
These basic, low salary jobs are in need of people all over the country. Almost every retail place has 'hiring' signs posted around here.

'Great economy, lotsa of 'jobs'.."yup", says the young other of 2, "I have 3 of them!!"