Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 05:27 PM

Too many people on bikes who don't know the rules of the road

I was commuting over the Williamsburg Bridge this morning. As I neared the highest point, someone on an electric Citi Bike (bike share) zipped in front of me. After another 30 feet or so, as the slope started to go downwards, he stopped pedaling. I was stuck behind this person coasting downhill at 15 mph or so, because there were too many bikes in the opposite lane to attempt passing.

The same thing happened to me on my commute home, crossing the bridge in reverse. At least this time I was able to find a spot where traffic was light in the opposite direction, and I could re-pass the Citi e-Biker.

This is a matter of common sense, but I doubt that either of these e-bikers was thinking of other path users. Both fit into the stereotype of a young person (usually 20's or 30's) wearing headphones and no helmet.

But the worst are the people on electric Citi Bikes who pass slower cyclists on the bike path without regard to opposing traffic. There are a few places on the Williamsburg Bridge that are narrowed by construction, and nevertheless e-bikers will pass in those choke points, forcing those approaching from the other direction to brake or even stop.

I've come to expect from e-bikers unpredictable behavior, riding against traffic whenever convenient and turning abruptly without signaling. It's come to the point that rainy days are my favorite ones for commuting, since newbies on e-bikes generally don't ride when it's wet out.

Rant over.

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-21-2024 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:32 PM

there's a lotta that going on in these parts these days.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:34 PM

Whenever I come across someone who acts irresponsibly, I always consider myself thankful if they're on a bike and not something more dangerous like a car.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:38 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I've noticed the same--eBikes enabling those who aren't skillful enough or knowledge enough to ride out of their natural bounds for a period of time. Too fast for their level of control and reliant on the motor to handle any otherwise thoughtful pacing decisions.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:46 PM

I've seen similar behavior on the MUTs around Chicago and the burbs. I've also seen what appears to be a e-motorcycle on MUTs as well and if these become the norm, look out as they move very fast.
Old 08-21-2024, 05:51 PM
Back At It!

not that I'm one of "those" folks, but what's the speed limit on the MUT/lanes?

Most of the ones I've ever been on has been no more than 15mph.. now if I'm the only one out there on the path, sure.. knock yourself out.. but if there are other path/trail users, you should be adhering to the rules of the road IMHO..

but I do agree that bad cycling is bad cycling and too many people are too self-absorbed to realize it..
Old 08-21-2024, 05:56 PM

Kinda like the left lane hoggers on the highways. Left lane is for passing only on the highways. Many states have a rule that states just this but many are unaware or simply do not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
not that I'm one of "those" folks, but what's the speed limit on the MUT/lanes?

Most of the ones I've ever been on has been no more than 15mph.. now if I'm the only one out there on the path, sure.. knock yourself out.. but if there are other path/trail users, you should be adhering to the rules of the road IMHO..

but I do agree that bad cycling is bad cycling and too many people are too self-absorbed to realize it..
Old 08-21-2024, 06:01 PM
Administrator

There is an epidemic of bad manners going on all over the place right now. It's a mess out there.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:07 PM

The bridges in NYC, especially during rush hour, aren't where you should be trying to make up time. Accept that some are going to pass you on the way up and not allow you to pass on the descent and be zen about it. Its too dangerous to think otherwise.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Kinda like the left lane hoggers on the highways. Left lane is for passing only on the highways. Many states have a rule that states just this but many are unaware or simply do not care.
And States also have speed limits, so if you go the speed limit in the left lane, theoretically no one would have been able to legally pass you anyway.

But in practice, people prioritize which laws matter based on their own selfish desires.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:28 PM
Meh

When you think individuals are the cause, look for structural issues instead.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:30 PM

If you are going the speed limit in the left lane while the right lane is empty, you are breaking the law just like people who want to pass you.

If people want to pass you and in the process break the law, then cops should be the ones enforcing the law and not a vigilante enforcing the law by driving their car at the speed limit in the left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
And States also have speed limits, so if you go the speed limit in the left lane, theoretically no one would have been able to legally pass you anyway.

But in practice, people prioritize which laws matter based on their own selfish desires.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
When you think individuals are the cause, look for structural issues instead.
Explain please.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I've seen similar behavior on the MUTs around Chicago and the burbs. I've also seen what appears to be a e-motorcycle on MUTs as well and if these become the norm, look out as they move very fast.
Lots of this in philly as well. Small gas powered scooters/vespas and the like will pop into the bike lane. I saw a guy riding a harley in one the other day to cut around traffic...
Old 08-21-2024, 08:00 PM
Byron

I agree that it's a s-show spreading like a virus.
Definitely sounds worse in big cities.
It is a shame.