Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 02:24 AM

I just use a pannier. the notebook is placed inside a bubble-wrap envelope. (these days, many online shops send items packed in thick bubble-wrap envelope)

lots of clothes and other items in the pannier to take up the slack. notebook doesn't move at all.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Carbon wrapped? Was this even a thing in 1997? Because it certainly isnt now...
I think I bought my last new cannondale around ‘13 so I may be dating myself.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:24 PM

bump.

Anyone have an update or photo of their bike with a bag that keeps a laptop on their bike? I'm getting really sweaty and a bit uncomfortable using a backpack (Arcteryx Index 15). Daily, I carry a 13'' mbp in sleeve, wind/rain jacket, tool roll.

I'm interested in front or rear rack + pannier. Or maybe a seat bike packing bag? Something to store items for a 20mi round trip commute.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
bump.

Anyone have an update or photo of their bike with a bag that keeps a laptop on their bike? I'm getting really sweaty and a bit uncomfortable using a backpack (Arcteryx Index 15). Daily, I carry a 13'' mbp in sleeve, wind/rain jacket, tool roll.

I'm interested in front or rear rack + pannier. Or maybe a seat bike packing bag? Something to store items for a 20mi round trip commute.
I used a smaller ortlieb on a rear rack for carrying a 13” laptop and similar volume of other things. It’s not made for it, but worked fine since it has a sleeve to hold the PC securely.

https://www.ortlieb.com/usa_en/velo-shopper+F7525

Alternatively a better backpack may help. I used an osprey radial 26 for awhile before the rack. It carries the weight easily and the suspension back keeps your back a lot cooler than most backpacks. I don’t use it anymore if you want to try it out for cheap.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:48 PM

I used a rack with some Arkel GT-18's for 8 years. I put the laptop into the zipped waterproof bag inside. It would nicely hold your rain jacket and a lunch inside with your tools and a spare tube in the top zippered section.

I liked how easily it came off the rack when removing it from my rack, as well.

https://www.arkel-od.com/bike-panniers/
Old 07-28-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I used a rack with some Arkel GT-18's for 8 years. I put the laptop into the zipped waterproof bag inside. It would nicely hold your rain jacket and a lunch inside with your tools and a spare tube in the top zippered section.

I liked how easily it came off the rack when removing it from my rack, as well.

https://www.arkel-od.com/bike-panniers/
The commuter pannier looks excellent from them. Probably what I’d get were I starting from scratch!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:25 PM

Interesting - I also like this one! How is the ride with a rear rack and bag loaded? Does the frame flex? Does it feel sluggish? I have an old rack that should work with this style bag.

I found this large seat bag from Riv which size could hold my work machine and items. Anyone have/seen one of these in the wild?

Also, a supportive backpack like the Osprey shared could do the trick and would allow for bike changes.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting - I also like this one! How is the ride with a rear rack and bag loaded? Does the frame flex? Does it feel sluggish? I have an old rack that should work with this style bag.

I found this large seat bag from Riv which size could hold my work machine and items. Anyone have/seen one of these in the wild?

Also, a supportive backpack like the Osprey shared could do the trick and would allow for bike changes.
Even with just a rear rack installed on my former bike, a surly midnight special, the ride is changed. You can feel the weight in the rear. More so when not on the bike, but it impacts the ride a bit.

With a bag weighted and attached, When pedaling along under normal riding/commuting conditions, it’s hardly noticeable. When standing and climbing, bunny hopping a curve, etc. it significantly impacts the ride quality. I never noticed frame flex but I’m sure that is a part of the reason standing and climbing feels so wrong.

While off the bike, dismounting feels different, either avoiding the bag with a leg or foot or balancing the additional weight. Picking the bike up is much different, it’s heavier obviously but also the weight is in the rear.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanboy99 View Post
Am i missing some solution that would fit a macbook air without wearing it or mounting a rack? seems like a handlebar bag of the right shape would work, no?
Um, another Macbook Air?

Buy yourself a new M1 chipped Air and keep that one wherever you need the nicer machine. Then use Dropbox or Google Workspace to keep your files fresh and available wherever you need them.

Then you don't have to spend $600 on carbon/titanium/kevlar racks and bags and bubble wrap and extra insurance...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-28-2021, 03:41 PM

This is something I have toiled with as well… my current preference is a light and airy backpack that breathes well. Currently I like the Deuter Race Air EXP. Stick the laptop in the hydration bladder slot and good to go…
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Um, another Macbook Air?

Buy yourself a new M1 chipped Air and keep that one wherever you need the nicer machine. Then use Dropbox or Google Workspace to keep your files fresh and available wherever you need them.

Then you don't have to spend $600 on carbon/titanium/kevlar racks and bags and bubble wrap and extra insurance...
Funny you should say this as I left my machine and backpack at the office today and rode home solo on my own experiment. about half way home I thought maybe I’ll just get a new machine (current mbp is not the m1) for when I need to work in the home office. Added up bags and such and is a lot of luggage just to haul a few pound thing around each day….

One thing I did notice, hot and muggy is hot and muggy no matter a few pounds on your back or not!

Good ideas so far, everyone! Thank you - still looking.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
maybe I’ll just get a new machine (current mbp is not the m1) for when I need to work in the home office. Added up bags and such and is a lot of luggage just to haul a few pound thing around each day….
The new M1 laptops are pretty spiffy...fast and lots of battery life. My wife has been using one for about a month. It's very nice!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-10-2024, 07:45 AM

Sorry for necroing. But what's wrong with wearing a backpack?
Old 01-10-2024, 09:30 AM

This is 100% an n+1 problem. You don't want to ride your real road bike as a commuter anyway. Get a disposable frame that you can put racks and lights on.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:19 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by admaung View Post
Sorry for necroing. But what's wrong with wearing a backpack?
I used to have a 15mi ride, each way, to my old job. When I would commute on a bike, I would shower when I arrived at the office. I cant imagine wearing a backpack for that ride, knowing how I would end each ride without a heavy insulating thing on my back.

My current commute is 6.5mi each way and no showers available. A backpack would be miserable.