Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 AM

VeloFix

Folks with VeloFix in your area: Have you tried it? How was the service? Is it public enemy #1 for your LBS? I have to admit, the business model seems like a no-brainer and is EXTREMELY interesting to me. Where I live, there is no LBS where people can congregate for community, pre-ride, post-ride, etc. But, there are plenty of people riding.

Bottom Line: If I were to attempt to bring the cycling community together in my city, a LBS seems like an extremely difficult way to do it. However, a franchise opportunity like VeloFix seems lucrative, and beneficial to all. Am I way off base here?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 AM

I've used them and at least one of our guys is a former Trek race team guy. The LBS definitely doesn't like them, but the work is generally as good (both have faults) and the convenience can't be beat.

My problem is that there used to be two independent mobile bike mechanics here, who were much better at "here's what I want to do, when can you do it"? One moved to NWAR and the other got bought out by VeloFix (or just closed up and started working for them, either way). VeloFix really wants you to select one of a couple service packages which may or may not hit what I'm looking to have done. It's much harder than with the independents to just ask the mechanic for a specific request.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
I've used them and at least one of our guys is a former Trek race team guy. The LBS definitely doesn't like them, but the work is generally as good (both have faults) and the convenience can't be beat.

My problem is that there used to be two independent mobile bike mechanics here, who were much better at "here's what I want to do, when can you do it"? One moved to NWAR and the other got bought out by VeloFix (or just closed up and started working for them, either way). VeloFix really wants you to select one of a couple service packages which may or may not hit what I'm looking to have done. It's much harder than with the independents to just ask the mechanic for a specific request.
In the little research I've done, it definitely seems a lot more uniform in nature. Like you said, choosing from their specific service packages.

Great insight, thanks!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:59 AM

I get their business model and purely from that perspective the concept of service packages make sense. that way they avoid getting the call out to do one thing for $50 and getting their time fragmented.

But wow, their "most popular" package is $230 and includes a whole lot of stuff that I'd expect most people can do on their own.

• 35pt Safety Inspection
• Center brakes
• Make wheel adjustments on bike
• Chain Lube
• Tire inflation
• Quote for add. Service
• Ensure perfect braking
• Ensure perfect shifting
• Wheel adjustment (true)
• Frame wipe down
• Set to provided fit #s
• Test ride bicycle
• Thorough bike wash & detailing
• Remove and degrease chain
• Remove and degrease cassette
• Remove and degrease chainrings
• Apply bike lust
• Regrease and torque all bolts

For the $490 package you at least get parts (new pads, tires, tape, a couple bottles of cleaning products and two "free" water bottles).

Good on them if they have a paying customer base to support that. I just prefer to do my own stuff so those prices were a bit shocking to me.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:12 AM

I have used them twice and the franchise owner in my city is a top notch mechanic - as good as anyone in a shop. it was a while ago and I don't recall prices, but they weren't these packages, of which the prices seem shockingly high.

Good service from my perspective though.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I get their business model and purely from that perspective the concept of service packages make sense. that way they avoid getting the call out to do one thing for $50 and getting their time fragmented.

But wow, their "most popular" package is $230 and includes a whole lot of stuff that I'd expect most people can do on their own.

• 35pt Safety Inspection
• Center brakes
• Chain Lube
• Tire inflation
• Quote for add. Service
• Ensure perfect braking
• Frame wipe down
• Set to provided fit #s
• Test ride bicycle
• Apply bike lust

For the $490 package you at least get parts (new pads, tires, tape, a couple bottles of cleaning products and two "free" water bottles).

Good on them if they have a paying customer base to support that. I just prefer to do my own stuff so those prices were a bit shocking to me.
From the looks of it, they'll be the first to say that their demographic leans more towards folks with higher incomes that don't have the time, but do have the money to afford on site, fast service like this. But I agree, that's a bit high for stuff I could do in my garage.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:15 AM

I too noticed that the Velofix prices were very similar to my LBS. My love my LBS and would not be using Velofix anyway. But I would have imagined Velofix to be cheaper than LBS at least in my area (Boulder) due to less overhead costs.

Quote:

• 35pt Safety Inspection
• Center brakes
• Chain Lube
• Tire inflation
• Quote for add. Service
• Ensure perfect braking
• Frame wipe down
• Set to provided fit #s
• Test ride bicycle
• Apply bike lust

Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I have used them twice and the franchise owner in my city is a top notch mechanic - as good as anyone in a shop. it was a while ago and I don't recall prices, but they weren't these packages, of which the prices seem shockingly high.

Good service from my perspective though.
It's an interesting business model. The owner can be anybody. The operator, however, absolutely has to be a solid bike mechanic with plenty of industry experience. Looks like they even ask for training such as Barnett Bike Institute, or others.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I too noticed that the Velofix prices were very similar to my LBS. My love my LBS and would not be using Velofix anyway. But I would have imagined Velofix to be cheaper than LBS at least in my area (Boulder) due to less overhead costs.
My thoughts as well.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:21 AM

If anybody out there is an LBS owner, and can share some wisdom on getting a LBS off the ground (or if it's even possible in today's market) I'm all ears!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Less overhead, but also more downtime, since they have to do the driving. On top of the sticker price of using a conventional bike shop is the time it takes to bring your bike there and then pick it up again.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Meh

Mixed experiences. Tried it a few times and it's damn convenient, but a couple of times they missed obvious inspection stuff like a loose crank bolt (!). You can't necessarily get a consistent, trusted wrench through the franchise.

The other big downside was for mountain bike owners - at least the VeloFix operators I tried in Marin aren't setup to do any suspension service, which is the biggest item I can't do myself. This ruled them out for 75% of what I'd want such a service to do. Don't know whether any of their competitors offer this.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullivan94 View Post
If anybody out there is an LBS owner, and can share some wisdom on getting a LBS off the ground (or if it's even possible in today's market) I'm all ears!
I am. I am in a unique position tho. I have a ton of things already (tool and parts/accessories wise) since I've been in the bike world for over 30 years. So I don't have to buy a ton like tools which could be $40k for benches, stands, tools, fixtures. I have all of it already. Most bikes shops, like say a Performance Store (back when they were around), they budgeted $350,000 for a single store. That's tools, fixtures, parts, accessories, build out. All of it. That's a huge amount for the average person to take on. And that cost doesn't include a fitting system. I have a Guru DFU. Those are $30,000 brand new! Used, they are $5-10k.

I've never used or worked with Velofix, but I know someone in the DMV who runs a Velofix van. I can reach out to him and see if he will comment.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:

• 35pt Safety Inspection
• Center brakes
• Chain Lube
• Tire inflation
• Quote for add. Service
• Ensure perfect braking
• Frame wipe down
• Set to provided fit #s
• Test ride bicycle
• Apply bike lust

See I don't mind the prices, and I'm not looking for them to drive out for a 10-minute job. For me, hypothetically, it might be "set up new wheels tubeless with tight tires, install the cassette, new chain, and 1x convert the bike with a new chainring". I don't want to go through the scheduling and all for "fix flat tire" either, but what I'd like (and can get with some of the franchisees when I get to know them) is the ability to send them a list of stuff and get a timeframe to book them for. Count me firmly in the camp of "my time is too valuable to go schlepping down to the LBS unless absolutely necessary", not to mention being without that bike for a few days if it's the one I want.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
See I don't mind the prices, and I'm not looking for them to drive out for a 10-minute job. For me, hypothetically, it might be "set up new wheels tubeless with tight tires, install the cassette, new chain, and 1x convert the bike with a new chainring". I don't want to go through the scheduling and all for "fix flat tire" either, but what I'd like (and can get with some of the franchisees when I get to know them) is the ability to send them a list of stuff and get a timeframe to book them for. Count me firmly in the camp of "my time is too valuable to go schlepping down to the LBS unless absolutely necessary", not to mention being without that bike for a few days if it's the one I want.
Yeah it feels like there are two groups: those who are willing to pay as they value their time and prefer someone else wrenching on their bikes and those of us who do our own -- whether it's because we enjoy it or do so out of necessity to save $$.

I can't say that me doing the work is any more time or cost efficient and generally involves more stress as I invariably screw something up, but apart from something that requires highly specialized tools, I generally find that YouTube and some time + patience is enough - plus I enjoy learning and doing the work. There are a few things that I am willing to pay for: wheel truing/building, hydro set-up/bleeding, and cutting of headtubes/seatmasts.....I'm sure I could learn to do all of those but I prefer to let the pros handle it.