Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 PM

To avoid the facebook "bargain hunters" that Angry mentioned, look for specific local groups.

For example, there is a local "Mountain Bike Garage Sale" group where a lot of mountain bike stuff goes thru.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:47 AM

Try this for your Bilenky: https://tandemclassifieds.com/
Old 04-13-2021, 06:09 AM
It's Polly!

I left the vile and very evil Faceplant Book, but I've had tremendous success with CL. I've met some wonderful people via CL ads, and some of them I now call friends. To be successful buying and selling in any platform, you have to know the market, know what you are selling/buying, and draw some lines which you will not cross.

In cash and in person is the only way I do business on CL, and it works. I'll drive to meet someone halfway if the price for the item is large enough. I wouldn't drive halfway across New England to sell a $100 frame. I also charge full asking price, if I have to meet someone. No deals. If they come to my house, I always give them a deal if they ask... but they got to ask, heheh.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 AM

FBMP. Craigslist has become a cesspool.

On FBMP I recently sold my Davidson frameset in 2 minutes for full asking price. Seriously. I had 4 people DM me in moments after I posted the listing.

If you decide to list on FBMP join bike marketplace so your ad targets the right audience.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post

In cash and in person is the only way I do business on CL, and it works. I'll drive to meet someone halfway if the price for the item is large enough. I wouldn't drive halfway across New England to sell a $100 frame. I also charge full asking price, if I have to meet someone. No deals. If they come to my house, I always give them a deal if they ask... but they got to ask, heheh.
Sound good, but I imagine that it would be annoying to deal only after the buyer arrives at your home. I would probably advise any 'dealing' be done before actual visit?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:22 AM

I'm not a FB guy, but I do have an account. What's the process once you put your ad up? How do buyers contact you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
FBMP. Craigslist has become a cesspool.

On FBMP I recently sold my Davidson frameset in 2 minutes for full asking price. Seriously. I had 4 people DM me in moments after I posted the listing.

If you decide to list on FBMP join bike marketplace so your ad targets the right audience.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:29 AM

They message you through the marketplace section of Facebook. Depends on how you get your FB notifications. I have mind turned off, as I'm not a regular user, so if I have something on the marketplace, you've got to turn on notifications or remember to check your account. Listing is very straightforward, and you have the ability to also list in local groups as well in addition to the general marketplace.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm not a FB guy, but I do have an account. What's the process once you put your ad up? How do buyers contact you?
On your Home screen you should see the Marketplace icon on the left side (at least on the browser version)--I don't use FB on a phone.

Listing is simple-again on LH side of the Marketplace screen there is a highlighted "Create New Listing" button.

Listing is automated (takes you through the steps==description, price, add photos etc.) You don't have to offer shipping--I still have not done that, since I'm selling mostly house stuff locally.

Buyers will send a message through FB Messenger--which is integrated on the browser version, but is a separate app on phones.

One small anomaly--if you "Save" a Markeplace item--you need to go back to your Home page to view it--for some reason all "Saved" items--posts and Marketplace items are saved in the same place. The second anomaly--some items will disappear from your ""Saved" items when sold; others will stay but you can see they are sold and delete--can't tell how that is determined.

The third anomaly--if you are viewing something that you might want to look at again--always save it. Unlike eBay (and any other reasonable programs)--click the back button to go back to your original search and items can (and will) disappear from the search results--for some reason the search results are not persistent. REALLY BAD PROGRAMMING IMO.

Last edited by paredown; 04-13-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
The third anomaly--if you are viewing something that you might want to look at again--always save it. Unlike eBay (and any other reasonable programs)--click the back button to go back to your original search and items can (and will) disappear from the search results--for some reason the search results are not persistent. REALLY BAD PROGRAMMING IMO.
YES! This is my one thing about FB marketplace... theres no rhyme or reason to the order youre seeing stuff in... Its just stuff in random order, all mixed together.

And for some reason theyre really pressing the "Ships to you" listings. So I see a ton of stuff I want, but some of it is across the country even though I only put in a filter for only showing me stuff within 100 miles of me.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:41 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Sound good, but I imagine that it would be annoying to deal only after the buyer arrives at your home. I would probably advise any 'dealing' be done before actual visit?
Its not annoying to deal face-to-face. In fact, it is preferable to dealing beforehand. If the buyer hasn't seen the item, how does he know he wants it enough to pay my asking price? Its all subjective, but haggling is an art, and I enjoy it very much. The sale of one of my bikes or frames is not matter of survival for me. Its a hobby and I treat it as such.

This also all depends upon the buyer. Some folks like to hash it all out ahead of time. They like to swap emails for a week. If interest for the item is moving slowly, I'll placate them as much as they want. I'll email them as much as they want. If the conversation turns toward the nitpicky side of the indicator, I'll correct course and sail on.

Some folks like to speak by voice only, and insist upon that. Some do a hybridized version of email-text-voice, in that order, which is what I prefer to do. Each step is a positive step toward the final sale.

Also in my ads, I put a line in there that says, "If you are serious about this item, please include your number for fastest response." You weed out a lot of tire kickers using that technique.

Some people who put up ads on CL feel like they have to lay down the letter of the law with every rule of engagement. Sometimes its comes across sounding mean-spirited. I try not to get like that. I'll say pretty much this:

All sales in-cash, and in-person. No shipping available. Include your number for a fast text response.

All this aside, there will still be people who wont read the details of the ad and need it spelled out for them. All in a day's work I say.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 AM

Mr Higgins has a lot of good info there and I apply a lot of that. If someone sends e mail and wants to buy my $300 thing for $150 I simply ask, how can you make an offer without looking at it? Is that what you think it's worth or is that all the cash you have?

There are also some lazy a¢¢ sellers out there. I am looking at a complete bike on Pink bike with 2 photos, no description. Price is $3000. I wanted it. Seller can't be bothered with taking more photos or even listing details of the build. He just keeps renewing the ad. Weird.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:47 PM

Thanks very much to all, as usual, good info here. I posted the Bilenky to a local Martha's Vineyard FB group called MV Stuff $ Sale and it looks very likely it will have found a new owner
Old 04-13-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much to all, as usual, good info here. I posted the Bilenky to a local Martha's Vineyard FB group called MV Stuff $ Sale and it looks very likely it will have found a new owner
Hooray
Old 04-14-2021, 09:08 PM

And now, for the first time, dipping my toes into Craigslist (overtones of ominous music). Listed the Casati on both the Cape Cod and Islands one, and also the Boston CL. Bilenky went to a happy new owner today. Cash sale too, no mordita to Paypal.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
And now, for the first time, dipping my toes into Craigslist (overtones of ominous music). Listed the Casati on both the Cape Cod and Islands one, and also the Boston CL. Bilenky went to a happy new owner today. Cash sale too, no mordita to Paypal.
Excellent!

I'm happy that this is working out for you. Craigslist sales can be rewarding, and all it takes is some diligence and discipline.