Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Administrator

OT: New Truck Frustrations?

I guess i have been asleep under a rock for a couple decades.

the cost of trucks has gotten out of hand in my opinion.

for many years i have driven old Jeeps. pay about 3 grand for a used one, drive it for 5 years, rinse/repeat. lately i have been driving a little Jeep Compass that came to me unexpectedly.

i'm beginning a search for another real truck to use for adventuring and general knocking around. initially, i was thinking a budget of 25 grand would be sufficient to get something nice, but that's looking to be a tall order.

since i dont use my car to commute or anything like that, and we have a few other cars, this truck would see roughly 4-5k miles/year, so not a lot.

i outrightly refuse to pay $50k for a new truck. i'd be afraid to drive it and use it like a truck. get it muddy, throw lumber in it and get it all scratched up. i want a truck as a tool, not a playground or status symbol. i also have zero use or desire for stupid back-up cameras, infotainment systems, etc. i want to put my old Alpine deck in the thing and keep jamming. heated seats, steering wheels, leather, no no no.

anyway, should i just buy another $3k Jeep and forget it?

is it crazy to get something with a V8, 4WD and under 50k miles for 25 grand?

other than craigslist and ebay - where should i be looking?

thoughts welcomed.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:56 AM

Have you seen the going price for a well cared for and rust-free pre-97 Ford truck? Crazy. I really liked my 87 f150 and 95 bronco but not that much.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 AM

Pickups are, by far, the most profitable vehicles made by the US auto industry. They won’t lower prices until demand drops, which it shows no signs of doing. Trucks are where they butter their bread.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:05 AM
I need you cool.

2014 Ford F150 4x4 SuperDuty

55,000 miles
$28,000

Sorry it is on the wrong coast......

I have had good luck with Auto Trader for both buying and selling vehicles

Trucks are spec'd as nice car alternatives these days. Agree, its bonkers.

A new nothing special-spec'd F150 XLT 4x4 is $40k, easily.

Get an old honda van, take out the middle seats, fold down the rear seats and it can carry anything. We use our 2008 van like a truck.

Although I'm not currently looking, I would think that you would be able to find a used Tacoma (maybe not 4-WD) that would fit the bill. I'm still driving my '01 Tundra, and I'm not getting rid of it until it dies. It still runs great, although I don't put many miles on it per year.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Pickups are, by far, the most profitable vehicles made by the US auto industry. They won’t lower prices until demand drops, which it shows no signs of doing. Trucks are where they butter their bread.
that sounds right.

i'm honestly amazed at the number of decked out tundras and silverados i see day to day. i'm guessing most of them are leases - not sure how else so many people afford to drive around in a $50k rig.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:09 AM

I feel your pain.

I lucked out getting a very low mileage 2010 F-150 Supercrew for the low $20,000 range. Traded in a fully paid off 2014 Jeep Patriot 4WD with the Freedom II package. Sort of wish I had kept the Jeep. Smaller for off road use, pretty capable, and more suspension travel so it rode nicer on the rough stuff. It was just hampered by that CVT that loved to overheat and Jeep wouldn't fix it. I finally took care of it myself with a proper service which included getting the fluid level correct. Something the factory failed to do.

I went with a truck again to get that extra carrying capability and more room to sleep in for short backwoods trips. I could actually lay full out in my jeep with the way the front passenger seat folded flat but as I get older contorting to get in and out of it at night when the sleeping platform was set up sucked.

The days of plain basic "farm" trucks has passed it seems. It was sticker shock to me also when I went hunting.

$3000Jeep Cherokees are still a thing right? They always seem like the perfect 4WD.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:11 AM

You should see the trucks towing trailers when we go to an Airstream camping weekend. Diesel 3/4 ton loaded up can easy go into the $80,000 plus range.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Have you seen the going price for a well cared for and rust-free pre-97 Ford truck? Crazy. I really liked my 87 f150 and 95 bronco but not that much.
So what's the attraction to the trucks of this era?
Old 12-29-2020, 11:16 AM
I need you cool.

BTW - haven't you heard, Pickups are the new family car
Old 12-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
You should see the trucks towing trailers when we go to an Airstream camping weekend. Diesel 3/4 ton loaded up can easy go into the $80,000 plus range.
yowza.

and those are probably dedicated tow vehicles too, because a 3/4 ton dually diesel makes a pretty awful daily driver.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 AM

I feel your pain.

The world of trucks has gotten bonkers. It seems like every person in my parts is a wannabe part time contractor, but also wants their one vehicle to be a kid hauler and weekend toy transport all in one. That leads to a lot of $60k trucks rolling around like it's no thing. A nice truck is a status symbol and a safety blanket.

I do wish a simple truck existed that one could buy new.

I always enjoy Mr. Money Mustache's take on trucks such as this gem:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
Get an old honda van, take out the middle seats, fold down the rear seats and it can carry anything. We use our 2008 van like a truck.

our family car is an odyssey and i agree it's a great versatile platform, but does not do 4WD things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Although I'm not currently looking, I would think that you would be able to find a used Tacoma (maybe not 4-WD) that would fit the bill. I'm still driving my '01 Tundra, and I'm not getting rid of it until it dies. It still runs great, although I don't put many miles on it per year.
No 4WD is a deal breaker, and due to the "toyota tax" - used tacos go for bonkers money. add to that they barely have what i would consider adequate power in V6 selection, the 4cyl versions are way underpowered.