Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 03:55 AM

Love the Arundel bags - but the outer shell looks really nice. And I love things locally made. Had to try it.

Size comparison:

My typical road gear:

Room to spare:

Looks good:
Old 04-16-2021, 06:41 AM
Administrator

thank you MandM for the photo.

it sure does look like it holds more than you might think it would for the size.

it definitely was a little pricey, but yes, supporting domestic small business is a nice thing if we can. can't wait to get mine!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Hey Nick I've been using the Topeak Aero wedges for years, love them becasue they are reasonably priced (I find them on Ebay) and more importantly they make 4 sizes. The Micro might be the best bet for you, that's the one I use for the basics. But I have each size for various types of rides because for example when I go camping and do long solo rides in the boonies I use the size large becuase it will hold everything you need for the potential of multiple flats. Simple design, bombproof including the zips. Because of the shape they just disappear, you don't even know they are there when riding, even the large. Best.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ERO-WEDGE-PACK

I’m a big fan of these too. The Micro is my favorite for a road bike. Tried the clip on type to move betwixt bikes but like the strapped one better (stays on same bike). I can get two road tubes, a tool with chain breaker, a couple of stick on patches, a tire boot, and a chain link in there. I use a frame pump, but if you’re a CO2 guy, the cartridge(s)/inflator might have to replace one of the tubes.
These have “big mouth” access from the rear of the pack. Frankly, I don’t care at all to have to take a pack off the bike to get something out as it is just another thing to keep from losing whilst doing a road side repair.
Lost an Arundel Duo once mid ride. Replacement had a revision that included a little sewn on strap to thread the velcro-ed strap through, presumably to fix that problem. Nice pack that holds all I need, but then it has the ‘remove to access contents’ issue.
Also like the old Pearl Izumi seat bags. Alas, they quit making those years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2021, 08:27 AM

Do you guys have any "secrets" for keeping tubes in a saddlebag? I get flats infrequently, but once upon a time I wore through a tube because it was bouncing around somewhat. I keep tubes in my pocket now, and carry 2 co2, levers, multi tool and patch kit in my saddle bag. Just curious.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Do you guys have any "secrets" for keeping tubes in a saddlebag? I get flats infrequently, but once upon a time I wore through a tube because it was bouncing around somewhat. I keep tubes in my pocket now, and carry 2 co2, levers, multi tool and patch kit in my saddle bag. Just curious.
Put tubes in a small zip-lock bag before putting them in a saddle bag.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:45 AM

Before putting my spare tubes in a plastic bag (which I then wrap tight with some electrical tape), I add talcum powder. Makes seating the tire over the tube much easier.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post

I tried just a plastic bag with a rubber band but had the same issues as if no bag at all. I since have been wrapping my tubes in tyvek (cut from old race numbers, usps envelopes) with a rubber band. The tyvek also serves as a tire boot- which I've never needed.

From what i'm reading, I think ill upgrade my rubber band to electrical tape. Seems much more versatile.

Also have gotten into the habit of inflating and verifying tubes before they go in the bag. Had a bad tube / dried glue combo one day that was no fun at all.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:48 PM

Just to keep the thread going, Outershell and ILE (both above) are great. But don't forget the classic Jandd mini mtn wedge:

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMMW

That's what all the cool kids used to use back in the day. It's durable, proven, and inexpensive (and I assume, still made in the US?). They also have larger seat bags, but this is the one that "everyone" had.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj View Post
Just to keep the thread going, Outershell and ILE (both above) are great. But don't forget the classic Jandd mini mtn wedge:

That's what all the cool kids used to use back in the day. It's durable, proven, and inexpensive (and I assume, still made in the US?). They also have larger seat bags, but this is the one that "everyone" had.
That looks like what I had decades ago! Would love another one! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2021, 04:02 PM

As a long term Jandd user/fan; I think I'm on my third its the Standard Tool kit model; the one complaint I have is about the velcro straps which:
  • can wear out before the bag does, especially with frequent adjustment/removal
  • can trash an expensive pair of bibs if strap unwittingly comes undone (its happened)
  • the seatpost attachment loop will wear the finish off seatpost
Otherwise I like everything else about the Jandd bags, but it's a big caveat. Definitely would look at the Outershelll, Orucase or similar bags that use the Voilé ski strap type attachment for my next seat pack purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj View Post

Last edited by MagicHour; 04-16-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Administrator

UPDATE.

Outershell is perfect. Tucks right up in there. I did have to run it upside down from it's intended position, but all good.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:24 AM

I got an outer shell with liteskin after my skin grows bag was stolen with the bike recently.

It’s well made. The waterproof zipper pulls smoothly. The liteskin fabric I opted for is waterproof and very light weight. Time well tell how durable it is on the mixed terrain this bag will see.

I don’t like how the strap is loose at the end. to remedy this strap keepers are available from voile. One should be included.

It barely fit my 650b tube, pedros lever, and a chunky stans dart.

I swapped out the tube with a tubolito 27.5” and the pedros with a wolf tooth components plier multi tool and now the fit is roomy butnsnigs down easily with the voile strap.

The bag goes on and off extremely easy from the bike and stays away from my thighs.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 07-10-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:41 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I really like the Arundel Dual bags. https://www.arundelbike.com/product-category/bags/
Some nice bags that I've been looking for, and they're not breaking the bank either. Thanks
Old 07-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Bike Guy

I was always a fan of the Arundel options. More recently I found a formerly local to me manufacturer called Spare Cycling. I’ve been using their stuff for several years without complaint.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:06 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Before putting my spare tubes in a plastic bag (which I then wrap tight with some electrical tape), I add talcum powder. Makes seating the tire over the tube much easier.
+1

My latest "plastic bag" is a poop disposal baggie from the local dog park