Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 06:19 AM

RIP Rusty Young

Rusty Young of Poco fame passed away Wednesday at his home in Davisville, Mo. in the Mark Twain National Forest.
One of the best pedal steel players ever, he combined the pedal steel with a Leslie speaker for some magnificent sounds. I recall a summer night at the Mississippi River Festival where he used a steel Samsonite folding chair as a slide.
Many memorable shows through the harder-edged Legend years to acoustic sets at Wildwood Springs Lodge.
His death brings an end to one of the best bands of the country rock genre.

Last edited by Plum Hill; 04-16-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:50 AM
Registered (ab)User

Bummer

I was never a Poco fan, but I read Rusty's column in Guitar Player Magazine throughout the 1970s. He made me want to play the pedal steel -- which I eventually realized was a massive undertaking with a huge learning curve, totally unrelated to the guitar I knew so eff that -- but he also made me want to experiment, buck tradition, and develop on original voice, musical values which I still hold dear to this day.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:03 AM

Crazy Love, one of my favorite tunes growing up. Sure miss those days. RIP
Old 04-16-2021, 08:15 AM

Don't know why but they always thought they were the Eagles, at least on the radio
And it was for that pedal steel guitar on a lot of the songs
RIP Rusty

One of the videos I checked out, the intro says that Poco was formed as an off shoot to Buffalo Springfield
I thought that was interesting
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Rusty Young of Poco fame passed away Wednesday at his home in Davisville, Mo. in the Mark Twain National Forest.
One of the best pedal steel players ever, he combined the pedal steel with a Leslie speaker for some magnificent sounds. I recall a summer night at the Mississippi River Festival where he used a steel Samsonite folding chair as a slide.
Many memorable shows through the harder-edged Legend years to acoustic sets at Wildwood Springs Lodge.
His death brings an end to one of the best bands of the country rock genre.

I still listen to the live “Deliverin’” album that I first purchased in the early 70s while in junior high school. It is a really good live album released just after Jim Messina left to start performing wimp rock with Kenny Loggins. I didn’t care much for Poco after that point, but “Deliverin’” is well worth a listen.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Rusty

Rusty was an amazing player and he provided a lot of energy to their live performances. I think I have a copy of Deliverin' in my LP collection. I'll have to find it and put it on later today. I also like "Seven", I'm sure I have that one. So many musicians of my youth are passing away now. Yet, Richards and Jagger are still around ????
Old 04-16-2021, 09:24 AM

RIP.

Really loved Poco back in the day. Part of the big constellation of bands including Buffalo Springfield, Loggins and Messina, Eagles, CSNY, etc.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
Don't know why but they always thought they were the Eagles, at least on the radio
And it was for that pedal steel guitar on a lot of the songs
RIP Rusty

One of the videos I checked out, the intro says that Poco was formed as an off shoot to Buffalo Springfield
I thought that was interesting
RIP RY
Yup - Furay and Messina. Rusty played the steel guitar on a Buffalo Springfield’s album. If you dont know it, have a listen to "Kind woman".
Old 04-16-2021, 09:38 AM

Poco was a big part of my HS and college years starting right at the beginning with Pickin up the Pieces as I was (and am) a fan of the country rock genre Poco/Eagles etc represented. Got to see them live in a small bar in Madison WI just before Legend was released and they became more popular.

The family trees starting with Buffalo Springfield and spreading from there are fascinating (at least to me). My wife just doesn't seemed to be impressed when I geek out with some friends on who played where with whom and who moved from band A to band B etc.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Bummer

I was never a Poco fan, but I read Rusty's column in Guitar Player Magazine throughout the 1970s. He made me want to play the pedal steel -- which I eventually realized was a massive undertaking with a huge learning curve, totally unrelated to the guitar I knew so eff that -- but he also made me want to experiment, buck tradition, and develop on original voice, musical values which I still hold dear to this day.
I dove off that cliff, myself () myself, not necessarily because of RY, although I liked his playing.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:37 PM

That ain’t no organ: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHDvTgkxpo