Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 07:16 PM

Ot: for those of you who like Prometheus

I love this movie. One of the few that will hook me in every single time it is on.

Came across this alternative ending/ deleted scene video with script and now I finally get it. Seen the damn thing maybe 20 times and just couldn’t quite put all of the pieces together. Now it all makes sense. The opening scene, the ending, the set design, the casting,...all so good.

The computer-ish voice is a bit much, but it gets the job done.

Sorry for the “how old were you when you finally figured out this nearly 10 yr old movie?” but....

https://youtu.be/rFjTxnb2l04
Old 04-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Registered (ab)User

in for later
Old 04-15-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
in for later
Let me know if it changes your opinion like it did mine. Been thinking about it all day. Went from a visually stunning prequelish movie that only left me with questions to top of the list of sci fi films I like. Defintely wasn’t my fav alien film til now.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 PM

If it answers the questions posed here, LINK, I'm in.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 PM

I don't think a movie has made me more angry in the last decade. For a good spoiler filled takedown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc This too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y56kWIr-RjI

Last edited by zzy; 04-15-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I love this movie. One of the few that will hook me in every single time it is on.

Came across this alternative ending/ deleted scene video with script and now I finally get it. Seen the damn thing maybe 20 times and just couldn’t quite put all of the pieces together. Now it all makes sense. The opening scene, the ending, the set design, the casting,...all so good.

Sorry for the “how old were you when you finally figured out this nearly 10 yr old movie?” but....

I'll watch this later, but it's the characters that ruined it for me. Compare the "scientists" and their chemistry together with Aliens. First of all they are really weird for scientists like the mapping dude (as in the wrong kind of weird) and I didn't really buy it. And there was no cast chemistry at all. I get that part of it is that they were all divided, but I just couldn't get a feel for any of them and it left me blah.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 PM
Big Bike Love

One that always hooks me again if I see it on TV. I've done the deep dive down the YouTube rabbit hole. Alt endings, original script. The negative audience response doomed any real follow up. Shame.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:45 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Oblivion is like that for me. The lake cabin scene playing Zep Ramble On hooked me from go. I can watch that movie over and over and have.. And I am not a Tom Cruise fan really...

What is wrong with me... May be a LDS flashback trigger...
Old 04-15-2021, 11:16 PM
Big Bike Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Oblivion is like that for me.
LOL! Yep, that's another one!
Old 04-15-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
I don't think a movie has made me more angry in the last decade. For a good spoiler filled takedown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaKqOMGPWc This too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y56kWIr-RjI
I’m just finding out now this movie isn’t a comedy. I was laughing tears and really enjoyed it. Guess I need to give it another go with this new knowledge and see if that changes my assessment. ;-)

https://youtu.be/JLbcZggwVCw
Old 04-16-2021, 03:19 AM

worth it

this thread was worth it for pitch meeting youtube link

I'd agree what was cut made that scene more understandable, but doesn't do much to rescue what was for me an overall incoherent story. Covenant was even worse.

I'm still surprised they gave up on prequel/sequel #3, as this franchise is like the xenomorph, and there are enough fans to (probably) make another, equally awful effort still profitable.

I'm obviously not the target audience of this thread, but I did WANT to like it, it was just too awful. I watch Alien every time I happen to scroll across it channel surfing, and Aliens every few years, via the same channel surfing opportunity.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Prometheus, as a 'prequel' to Alien..the 'tech seems to me, more advanced to that in Alien..I know, small part..the first 3 Aliens are just so good..first and 3rd my favorites..YMMV and all that.

My son loved Alien so much, she gave his oldest daughter 'Ripley', as one of her 2 middle names.

Evelyn Ripley Rose..when Evie is a 'little older', she can see her name sake, the strong, leader..Ripley.

If she had been a boy..he was gonna name him Anikan..yup, me too

BUT, he is a StarWars expert..it came out the year he was born..

BUT I enjoyed Prometheus...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
If it answers the questions posed here, LINK, I'm in.

Haven't seen that one yet, thanks for sharing

"An idiot woman, who can only run in straight lines" LOL
Old 04-16-2021, 09:02 AM

I think I enjoy the concept of trilogies, prequels, deep meta analysis... much more than actually watching the movies directly. Prometheus was like that for me. I really dig the whole Architect concept, but I don't feel compelled to watch the movies over and over.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:11 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Oblivion is like that for me. The lake cabin scene playing Zep Ramble On hooked me from go. I can watch that movie over and over and have.. And I am not a Tom Cruise fan really...

What is wrong with me... May be a LDS flashback trigger...
My version of this would have to be The Edge of Tomorrow. Loved the short story long before the movie was even talked about, but though the changes they made were excellent. Probably seen the movie about 20x, but there's just so much there that I seem to pick up things I didn't notice on every watch.