Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 PM
Meh

I have the Force AXS Wide group on the Scarab Paramo, and I love it. SRAM may be edging towards dominance in the premium road space, especially with Shimano struggling so much to ship things in a timely fashion (even before the pandemic).
Old 04-15-2021, 05:46 PM

It's basically impossible to buy a full group in retail packaging and get it in the next year at this point. Current backorder date on most parts is October 2022. Twenty twenty two.

It's going to have a strong OEM presence on a lot of bikes released between today and like July, hopefully at some very cool price points. That's probably somebody's best chance to get the group.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:34 PM

I'm hopeful lots of folks will be replacing their lightly used Ultegra groupsets with this!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by party time View Post
For comparison, ultegra mechanical is ~2300 grams and around the same price. I imagine weight weenies won't be buying this price point anyway
For comparison, the SRAM Red eTap 11sp group (rim brake) is about 1,970g per the scales at BikeRadar.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
For comparison, the SRAM Red eTap 11sp group (rim brake) is about 1,970g per the scales at BikeRadar.
Not exactly apples to apples since one's rim and the other is hydro, and the image above includes the rotors

See comparison here for more balanced breakdown, though you'll need to add ~30g for the xg-1190 cassette vs the listed 11-28 and the rotor weights

Shifters Rear D. Front D. Cranks Cass. Chain Total
788 239 187 609 167 246 2236
https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/201...ght-comparison

Red AXS 12s is a little porkier than eTap 11s, but a decent amount comes from the extra cog on the cassette (12s vs 11s), the heavier crankset system (8 bolt crankarm with integrated spider/rings 12s vs exogram crankset 11s), the slightly chunkier shifters and the beefier FD and RD.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:50 PM

Russ at PLP got to review it on a Domane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfbO-Q0d28c&t=319s
Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Each lever is listed. You have to select left or right.
Owner of Vecchio's is seeing this issue..RH levers available, lefts not(October he is being told). Since ya gotta have both levers for etap..why not sell them as a set?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 AM

One comment about 1x setups and range. Although the range of an 11-32 cassette might be matched, the jumps between the gears are much different. I'd hate a cassette that starts out with 10-12-14-16 instead of 11-12-13-14. I use a 10-36 12 speed cassette that has 10-11-12-13-15-17 sprockets and sometimes find the missing 14 tooth annoying. If I get strong enough to get by with a 10-33, I can get the 14 back. I'll stick with my 46/30 or 48/31 cranks.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
That's mullet land. 10-50 cassette doesn't change much since the 11-42's just traded the 10 for an 11, and the AXS stuff adds the 12.

I'm really intrigued by this, but my inner weight weenie just makes me want to buy Red because its 1.5lbs lighter!
Last time I tried going to even Force22, the bike ended up with Red22 and from 17.7 to 15.2 with some other changes.

I will say Rival makes Force AXS MUCH less attractive given the weight difference is minor and can mostly be made up with the carbon Force crank.
The only issue with the Rival I see is the inability to use satellite shifter buttons. I use two sets of blips on my eTap road bike — one on the inside front of the drops where I can hit it with my thumb, and one on the tops for climbing. On my Force/mullet build gravel bike I use the new MultiClic shifters below the bar tops. https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...ters-for-etap/. I use these all of the time, especially while climbing. It’s too bad that these aren’t compatible with the Rival AXS stuff.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:23 AM

This is such an exciting development. An affordable stylish electronic group set you can install yourself and own for for a long time and upgrade as required or according to your tastes. I couldn’t even imagine buying a mechanical disc group set going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Vendor

Hold the phones. Over 3kg (6,6lbs) for a mid/high range groupset and people are screaming with excitement?

Serious question, is this the heaviest groupset of its class.... ever? I'm not even a big time weight weenie, but that's seriously porky.

Good thing is, now you can buy a $11,000 frameset (that's "the best ever" cause it's 8g lighter than the competition's lightest bike ever...) just to get a bike that is normal weight!

maybe I am a weight weenie....? hmmm...

Last edited by rain dogs; 04-16-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 AM

DC Rainmaker has a mixed review of the power meter: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/04/...rst-rides.html
Old 04-16-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The only issue with the Rival I see is the inability to use satellite shifter buttons. I use two sets of blips on my eTap road bike — one on the inside front of the drops where I can hit it with my thumb, and one on the tops for climbing. On my Force/mullet build gravel bike I use the new MultiClic shifters below the bar tops. https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...ters-for-etap/. I use these all of the time, especially while climbing. It’s too bad that these aren’t compatible with the Rival AXS stuff.
Yeah the clics for climbing use are a incredibly useful, and seems like the only area where they've drawn a line in the sand for upcharging an operational benefit.

Wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate the new shifter design into the Red/Force models. The bite point adjustment isn't really that useful in the real world since the space between the pads and rotors is super tight, and the loss of the adjustment should also save a few grams for the weightweenie crowd. If they decide to lose the orbit clutch on the RD they could again lose a few grams and market the group as an "AXS Lite" model, with a higher MSRP for less features (a la the 911 R). Hooray for commerce
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Hold the phones. Over 3kg (6,6lbs) for a mid/high range groupset and people are screaming with excitement?

Serious question, is this the heaviest groupset of its class.... ever? I'm not even a big time weight weenie, but that's seriously porky.

Good thing is, now you can buy a $11,000 frameset (that's "the best ever" cause it's 8g lighter than the competition) just to get a bike that is normal weight!

maybe I am a weight weenie....? hmmm...
It's not really that far out of line. The weights reported above include batteries, rotors, and hoses. A lot of "weights" for other groupsets don't count rotors/cables/hoses/wires/batteries/junction boxes.

So when someone above says Ultegra disc weights ~2300g, add ~200g for shift cables and brake hoses, add 250g for rotors. Much of the rest of the weight difference is from just the cranks/cassette, but you get an extra cog in the rival cassette.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 PM

It will do well for OEM builds but folks who know will buy it sans crankset and build it to suit.