Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 02:09 PM

How do you dispose of old bike stuff?

My first road bike was a 1999 Kona Kapu with a wound up fork I got used, and it was awesome. The frame I can pass along still, but the fork has some minor damage and in line with the other thread about fork condition, it's kind of gotten its use already to the point where I don't feel good passing it to someone else, nor putting it on my commuter, but it also feels like a huge waste to chuck it in the bin.

So my question is, what do you do with old bike stuff (mostly frames and forks) that have been through their useful life, but aren't damaged to the point of unusability? Does that stuff just lie around? At what point does it go in the bin?
Old 04-15-2021, 02:13 PM

My kids like to try and destroy my old bike stuff. It’s fun seeing how strong some things are (or are not!).
Old 04-15-2021, 02:34 PM

If the items are still safe to use and serviceable we donate them to a non-profit organization called The Bicycle Kitchen or the SPCA Thrift Store.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
My first road bike was a 1999 Kona Kapu with a wound up fork I got used, and it was awesome. The frame I can pass along still, but the fork has some minor damage and in line with the other thread about fork condition, it's kind of gotten its use already to the point where I don't feel good passing it to someone else, nor putting it on my commuter, but it also feels like a huge waste to chuck it in the bin.

So my question is, what do you do with old bike stuff (mostly frames and forks) that have been through their useful life, but aren't damaged to the point of unusability? Does that stuff just lie around? At what point does it go in the bin?
Mount it to your workbench to hold wheels while you glue them up for your tubulars!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Mount it to your workbench to hold wheels while you glue them up for your tubulars!
I was thinking rim tape, but same thing....problem is, works for front wheel only.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:59 PM

Make it into a toilet paper holder!
Old 04-15-2021, 03:08 PM

I donate everything I don't have a use for to the local Bike Kitchen. I'll bet you have a Bike Kitchen in your area that would be very happy to have usable items.

dave
Old 04-15-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I donate everything I don't have a use for to the local Bike Kitchen. I'll bet you have a Bike Kitchen in your area that would be very happy to have usable items.

dave
In Burlington VT, there is a place called The Old Spokes Home, like Bike Kitchen, i bet. You can donate all kinds of stuff, and they rebuild old bikes and get them out to people who need them in the community. There are places like this all over the country, and probably the world. You might have to seek them out a bit. I just save up stuff till I have a decent box of things, and take them in to donate.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:47 PM

What do people do with their unrideable carbon frames? Straight to the trash? I’ve always been curious if there are any better uses out there for all that plastic.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:03 PM

Sell it on paceline classifieds!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:54 PM

I periodically send old stuff that is usable to the Bradley Street Bike Coop in New Haven.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:22 PM

In Boston there is an organization called bikes not bombs that teaches young people mechanic skills and also rehabs the bikes and sends them internationally to communities that can use them (mostly in Africa I think from their newsletters). In a case of interest: https://bikesnotbombs.org/
Old 04-15-2021, 07:44 PM

clearing bike stuff out

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

dave
In Texas we have Frankenbike, and in Austin Yellow Bike Project. I give stuff to Yellow Bike Project. I usually buy stuff at Frankenbike, but lots of folks sell their old stuff at a discount there. Frankenbike often is somewhere that has beer.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
In Boston there is an organization called bikes not bombs that teaches young people mechanic skills and also rehabs the bikes and sends them internationally to communities that can use them (mostly in Africa I think from their newsletters). In a case of interest: https://bikesnotbombs.org/
Bikes not Bombs is awesome, they do great work. We used to do the bike a thon every year, it’s good fun and great community.

Last edited by corsu61; 04-17-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:11 PM

I don't understand... why would you get rid of old bike stuff???