Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 08:42 PM

That's a heck of a laundry list.

Pretty funny stuff.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 AM

The big surprise for me was that usually when someone refers to “dope” in the context of downhill racing they are referring to pot....
Old 04-16-2021, 06:01 AM

California. Masters. Doping. What else to know.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 AM

Why, because it doesn't happen elsewhere?

Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Old 04-16-2021, 08:39 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Question

One wonders if his use of PEDs ultimately enabled him to win prestigious races with huge cash prizes?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Why, because it doesn't happen elsewhere?
Four years ago at the NY state road race championships, they announced at registration that there would be drug testing for winners and select other participants. The looks of concern on the faces of masters racers was quite humorous... I was unworried since Peet's Major Dickason's Blend wasn't on the list of controlled substances

Greg
Old 04-16-2021, 09:16 AM
Shifty Member

I can't believe it was only 4 years. I'd except that for maybe 1 or 2 substances, but 10 speaks of a major doping program and should be a life ban.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:52 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
I can't believe it was only 4 years. I'd except that for maybe 1 or 2 substances, but 10 speaks of a major doping program and should be a life ban.
Correctamundo.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Meh

Honestly I think the theory above that his "doping program" wasn't actually related to his racing, but more to his need to look hella ripped at the age of 52, is probably spot on. His almost complete lack of wins over a 12 year period also speaks to that - it's also not totally clear to me that anabolics would provide much of an edge in downhill.

Still, what a dumbass.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:12 PM

Why does anyone care what this one amateur racer did?
Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Honestly I think the theory above that his "doping program" wasn't actually related to his racing, but more to his need to look hella ripped at the age of 52, is probably spot on. His almost complete lack of wins over a 12 year period also speaks to that - it's also not totally clear to me that anabolics would provide much of an edge in downhill.

Still, what a dumbass.
I think this gentleman had some angst about getting older and visited one of the ubiquitous anti-aging clinics that prescribes HGH and anabolics. Supplements like DHEA he can get at the local GNC.

But anabolics and strength training could make a difference in downhill, where the necessary efforts seemingly would be purely anerobic.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:42 PM

I'm older than he is. It's scary to think about the drugs I'd have to do in order to be that mediocre. I think I'll continue to ride for fun and fitness. My racing days are over.

Sure, I like to go fast, but I also want to do so for many more years without suffering side effects from drug use.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:59 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I suspect someone dropped the dime on him. He must have blabbed or been seen with the drugs or just been common knowledge. USCF generally doesn't go after mediocre 50+ dudes without cause (in the downhill events!!!! downhill!!! I didn't know that was even a USCF race thing. Sheesh)

Overall this whole episode is stoooopid. He is stoopid. USCF is stooopid if they think this is a deterrent (especially see my comments about it being a MTB downhill event. Honestly I still processing that there are 50+ MTB downhill events. It's kinds like being the best surfer in Nebraska. No offense to Nebraska).
Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I suspect someone dropped the dime on him. He must have blabbed or been seen with the drugs or just been common knowledge. USCF generally doesn't go after mediocre 50+ dudes without cause (in the downhill events!!!! downhill!!! I didn't know that was even a USCF race thing. Sheesh)

Overall this whole episode is stoooopid. He is stoopid. USCF is stooopid if they think this is a deterrent (especially see my comments about it being a MTB downhill event. Honestly I still processing that there are 50+ MTB downhill events. It's kinds like being the best surfer in Nebraska. No offense to Nebraska).
I dunno, I think that many of us of a certain age have a fine-tuned awareness of the corporeal effects of gravity, and zero-ph*x-to-give attitude about monday mornings that could be considered an unfair advantage over younger punks.