Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 10:38 AM

What about used clothing? I've scored a few NOS and slightly used Danny Shane jersies on Ebay for <$20. I make sure the seller accepts returns. But yeah...I've got no issues wearing like new used jersies. Bibs not so much!
Old 03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

I used Black Bibs for a long time, you can't beat the price.

But I did find NeoPro to be a big step up in quality and fit, for not much more money.

Black Bibs' jerseys are more of a "club" fit, while NeoPro have more of a "race" fit, much thinner and skintight. I use one or the other depending on how skinny/fit I'm feeling that day!

I like NeoPro's bibs much better as well, although Black Bibs' winter gear (3/4 tights and full fleece tights) is an insanely good value and got me through this winter just fine.

I would really recommend one of the above rather than the cheap stuff on Amazon, which I found to be universally of totally disgraceful quality, not even good enough for casual indoor trainer workouts.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:42 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
What about used clothing? I've scored a few NOS and slightly used Danny Shane jersies on Ebay for <$20. I make sure the seller accepts returns. But yeah...I've got no issues wearing like new used jersies. Bibs not so much!
agreed! all three of my Rapha Brevet jerseys are used.. I've only bought "used" bibs once and it was a case of a pair that was tried on, didn't fit and then posted for sale.. so never ridden in.. and the seller was a trusted agent from here so I believed them.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:43 AM
Pack fill

There is a brand called 21 grams that I have bought several jerseys from through aliexpress. Been satisfied with all except one where the sizing was way off, too large. I think I have 6 I kept and used the oversized one as a rag for cleaning windshields. All in all they probably cost me around $120, so $ 20 per. The Black bib jerseys (2) I bought were too small and I returned them.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:45 AM

I've never had luck with extreme budget cycle wear, but there are good deals to be had out there on name brands if you work at it. Sierra often has Pearl Izumi at good prices. And congrats on the weight loss!
Old 03-08-2024, 10:47 AM

Good to know. Only the small available in a reasonable amount of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I bought this a couple years ago when, after a move, our stuff was taking forever to get here.. it's not bad at all IMHO.. comparing it to my other "like" jerseys from PI, can't say I feel much difference.. for sizing, I'd say pretty close to normal, maybe size up one on these unless you are 15% BF.. FWIW- when buying on Amazon, I always buy from a "Prime" vendor and have never really been disappointed.. not sure how much truth there is to it, but I feel like the "Prime" vendors are usually just a little better.. and I think returns are easier, if needed..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-08-2024, 10:53 AM

great idea!

Quote:
Old 03-08-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I too like The Black Bibs, but I will say, for me, they don't quite compare my Giordana bibs.. but I'm also comparing the base Black Bibs to the higher Giordanas, so maybe not fair..
I had three pairs for commuting, and they are good for light riding and commuting but didn’t work for me when riding/pedaling hard for long periods of time. Ok, they work, but the chamois and material isn’t close to the same fit as my Assos bibs.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:01 AM

I had a fair # of Bellwether jerseys early in my time cycling and they still have some down around $60. Those lasted quite a few seasons.

Louis Garneau is another one I have had a lot of that often weren't that expensive but last and last forever.

My fit doesn't change much.. IME Jerseys in the mid price range just last and last and last.

I have at least one Louis Garneau jersey that is 20 years old and basically looks brand new.

I think to a certain extent if you're *not* trying to be fashionable you still don't want to go too cheap because most of the value in cycling clothes is in stuff that lasts a really, really long time.

Most of my stuff is not in the current fashion of solid colors and such that Rapha has brought on, but that's cause I bought quality stuff and it's all pretty old yet refusing to wear out. Ironic cause in 2000-2005 I wore a lot of solid colors from cheaper brands when the expensive brands were very loud!

I also do think there is a middle ground on cycling stuff that really offers a poor value. There are a bunch of brands that are just casually a little bit cheaper and are much worse. Something that costs 10% less than the name brands but lasts 1/4 as long is not a good buy at all.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Same here. I love buying unusual cycling jerseys and jackets...weird team names, logos, artwork, etc., and paying $20 for the privilege.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-08-2024, 11:05 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I had three pairs for commuting, and they are good for light riding and commuting but didn’t work for me when riding/pedaling hard for long periods of time. Ok, they work, but the chamois and material isn’t close to the same fit as my Assos bibs.
it's for sure the chamois that is the difference.. for shorter rides, the Black Bibs are fine.. I mean the material on the Giordanas are certainly "nicer", but not a big enough difference to matter on a ride for me.. I am curious to try the higher priced Black Bibs as they seem to have a different pad..
Old 03-08-2024, 11:43 AM

I tried a cheap "Coconut" jersey from Amazon and was disappointed by the fit, finish, and material. I kept it for a season and then demoted it to living in a bin at my parents' house for occasional rides there.

OtOH, I've had good luck with some of the reproduction jerseys from eBay. (I assume the AliExpress are the same, but who knows.) One of my favorite jerseys is a repro "Pellegrino" that was ~$22, and two other Skil and Renault jerseys are good enough to keep in rotation as well.

So very hit-or-miss, in my experience. NeoPro or used if you want to go for something inexpensive. Some of the smaller brands can be downright cheap secondhand.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:39 PM

I have several jerseys from Amazon. Both long and short sleeve. They are fine for me. Breath well, and fit fine. Don't need them to be warm here, just breath and wick sweat. And last and not fade. They seem to be same fabric as med price "name" Club jerseys. Ones I like best say "Bobbi" on them. Wife buys them when they go on sale...$12-16 usually. No complaints here. But then....if it fits...I'll wear anything on my daily rides. Just throw in washing machine.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-08-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I think you are best off going with something like TheBlackBibs or NeoPro cycling. Can be alot of hit or miss on Amazon and Ali.
came to say this. LOVE all my neo pro stuff.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:19 PM

So the black bibs isn't just a marketing company with the same stuff as Amazon?