Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2023, 05:53 PM

Deleted.

Last edited by MikeD; 10-27-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 05:48 AM

those tpu tubes are great to use if every gram matters, but also to carry as spares. Latex is definitely the best ride quality if you dont want to mess with tubeless and dont mind pumping your tires up before every ride.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:43 AM

After my bad experience with the fragility of pirelli tubes, I don't think I'd trust tpu tubes as spares.

Small and light is nice, but needing a perfect install, issues using co2, proper pressure makes, difficult to patch makes me want a good heavy rubber tube as my spare
Old 10-26-2023, 09:39 AM

I have a few weeks on TPU tubes so far. The riding quality seem to feel better but I don't know if it's just placebo. The best benefit to me is the lighter weight and low price.

I'm using Magene's EXAR tubes. I did get a flat from a metal staple on the road (which would've flatted any tube). Initially I was able to patch it with a Park Tool adhesive stick-on patch. It held air at my normal pressure for about 2 weeks before the adhesive seemed to fail and the patch couldn't hold the air pressure anymore.

About to bin the tube, I decided to try using regular glue patches and to my surprise, they work totally fine. Technique is critical here. Clean very well, scrub the surface with 400g sandpaper, apply a thin layer of glue, let it sit for 2 minutes to get sticky, press the patch on firmly. So far so good. Confident riding these tubes moving forward.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:31 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My $1.02 worth... [way more than $.02 ;}]

I originally got some to run with new tubeless tires in order not to commit to sealant in case I was not crazy about the tires. For road I have come to do this rather than even use sealant. My personal druthers is TL on lower pressures than road. I also like to be able to swap tires on the fly and not deal with cleaning dealing adding goo. Yada...

I have lots if TPU tubes, having had some given to me for setting up a Di2 build/setup for a fellow PLer.

I will put it like this: I have lighter than latex, a lot lighter than latex, and stupid lighter than latex. I am stupid enough without help so avoid stupid light overall. Particularly as I am just over the Clyde threshold.

I have not removed the heaviest ones from two sets of TL tires and do not intend to. I so used the middle weight ones for carry with for flats. They hold air superb, not that I have aversion to pumping up before rides.

I have been a Latex user for a decade. Loose most of my latex tube when they are older from valve tear outs when I slip holding valve while pumping using compressor, less often with pump in van. [once]

I trust the Schwalbe Aerothons the most, the least light of the bunch. I have some 23 gram ones I will use for carry with flat use maybe. But I run my tubeless tubulars mostly anyway and carry a mini plug kit and some sealant rolling.

So in a nutshell, this is the place for these for me.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:18 PM

My experiences wit TPU tubes

I tried the Cycloami tubes this summer. I loved the weight reduction, and swear they're the damned finest way to loose weight where it matters. But all four tubes all ended failing up in the same place (last two hadn't ruptured yet, but no desire to tempt fate!). Does anyone know if these 'kinks' have been worked out?
I also tried RideNow TPU's for my gravel bike, and I also found a noticeable difference, but the tubes I had have the plastic valve and everyone ended up developing serious leaks. Appearently I'm not the only one! They've a newer version with aluminum valve bodies which are supposed to correct the issues.
Either way, I'd like to convert to TPU's-the budget ones, that is- but first they need to iron out the bugs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 2.17.20 PM.jpg (34.8 KB, 284 views)
Old 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM

Yes. After a couple of years of riding TPU tubes, this early summer I got a bad batch, like 2-3 that continuously flatted. I also made the mistake of using CO2 inflator, which is a BIG no-no for plastic tubes, making them brittle and causing flats.

After I went through this bad batch, my other tubes worked fine, and after 1-2 weeks of constant flats, am now flat free for the past 4 or so months.

I have latex tubes as well, but prefer the TPU. Tubolito, Ridenow, and whatever else, doesn't matter. They're all good and repairable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
I tried the Cycloami tubes this summer. I loved the weight reduction, and swear they're the damned finest way to loose weight where it matters. But all four tubes all ended failing up in the same place (last two hadn't ruptured yet, but no desire to tempt fate!). Does anyone know if these 'kinks' have been worked out?
I also tried RideNow TPU's for my gravel bike, and I also found a noticeable difference, but the tubes I had have the plastic valve and everyone ended up developing serious leaks. Appearently I'm not the only one! They've a newer version with aluminum valve bodies which are supposed to correct the issues.
Either way, I'd like to convert to TPU's-the budget ones, that is- but first they need to iron out the bugs!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:28 PM

Is there any sealant that's compatible with TPU tubes? I was thinking that tubeless is such a pain, and that butyl tubes with sealant in them are so heavy, why not sealant in TPU tubes?
Old 12-08-2023, 11:49 PM

No personal experience with it but happened across this a few days ago:
https://edubied.com/products/eclipse-tpu-tube-sealant
Old 12-09-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Is there any sealant that's compatible with TPU tubes? I was thinking that tubeless is such a pain, and that butyl tubes with sealant in them are so heavy, why not sealant in TPU tubes?
Most tpu tubes don't have removable valve cores.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Most tpu tubes don't have removable valve cores.
What about these Cyclami tubes?
Old 12-09-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
What about these Cyclami tubes?
Metal valve, non removable core unless they've changed since I last saw one.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:30 AM

Schwabe areothan have removable cores but state they are not compatible with tire sealants. They are however easy to patch
Old 04-03-2024, 02:55 PM

Update

After my less than stellar experiences with Aliexpress TPU's, well, I love the benefits WHEN they worked, and I don't like to learn, so...
Any new experiences with Ali TPU tubes, like RideNow, Cyclami, or Offbondage (!) ?
Old 04-03-2024, 03:21 PM

I have been using Aerothan TPU tubes for about 300 miles. I like them, light, easy to install(with care), hold air well, and take up little room in a bag when used as a spare. They have a softer ride than butyl.
I still like latex tubes, never had issues flatting more than butyl, as long as they are mounted properly, with care. I did have a few punch flats at first, operator error.