Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Lakers are probably a top 4 team in the W next year, but they still need to use their remaining space to add shooting. They shouldn't sign anyone this summer that can't space the floor.

The team giving up the best player is almost always a trade loser, but for a guy who didn't want to be there, tthe Pels got a great price. They essentially run the Lakers draft for the next 4 years, and have Zion plus another top 4 pick in next week's draft.
David Griffin either ran circles around Rob Pelinka, or the Lakers know something about the young kids the Pelicans don't, or they're extremely desperate to win now. My hunch is some of the first with a decent chunk of the second.

I get not wanting to lose a year of LeBrons closing window, but they bid effectively against themselves this entire process.

Davis has played more than 70 games just twice in his career, and LeBron is coming off the first major injury of his career.

This could be Billy King-esque if this all goes south in 18 months.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
Sounds like there's a big difference in letting the trade go through of 7/6 (which is what is agreed to currently) and 7/30 with regard to salary cap space.

If the Pels don't agree to 7/30, then the Lakers don't have enough space for a max deal this year.

Going to be interesting to see how that roster gets rounded out, going to be top heavy like the Warriors were last year, and possibly even less depth. Crazy.
The Pels have no incentive to wait until 7/30. That means they wouldn't get the 4th pick into summer league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
David Griffin either ran circles around Rob Pelinka, or the Lakers know something about the young kids the Pelicans don't, or they're extremely desperate to win now. My hunch is some of the first with a decent chunk of the second.

I get not wanting to lose a year of LeBrons closing window, but they bid effectively against themselves this entire process.

Davis has played more than 70 games just twice in his career, and LeBron is coming off the first major injury of his career.

This could be Billy King-esque if this all goes south in 18 months.
Youre probably right based on the track records of all the actors here.

They will be awesome at times but paper thin.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM

I could not sneak out of work. Saw the wrapped buses all lined up - they look awesome. Wife just called and said parade route is packed and fun.

Live feed for people who want to see:

https://gem.cbc.ca/live/channel/ottawa
Old 06-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I could not sneak out of work. Saw the wrapped buses all lined up - they look awesome. Wife just called and said parade route is packed and fun.

Live feed for people who want to see:

https://gem.cbc.ca/live/channel/ottawa

This is awesome. Very happy for Toronto and their fans.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM

I'm starting to see a few random sentiments that the Lakers are the favorite in the West next year, and I have to say I disagree. We have no idea who the other 5-7 rotation players are, there's real uncertainty about the amount of space they will have to get that 3rd guy, and looking at the available max FA's and even next tier guys, I don't like the fit for a lot of them. The back half or 2/3 of that roster is gonna be G-leaguers and dudes that were in China last year.

Meaningless to speculate with so much change just around the corner, but I even like the hate-each-other Rockets more than the top-heavy Lakers.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to see a few random sentiments that the Lakers are the favorite in the West next year, and I have to say I disagree. We have no idea who the other 5-7 rotation players are, there's real uncertainty about the amount of space they will have to get that 3rd guy, and looking at the available max FA's and even next tier guys, I don't like the fit for a lot of them. The back half or 2/3 of that roster is gonna be G-leaguers and dudes that were in China last year.

Meaningless to speculate with so much change just around the corner, but I even like the hate-each-other Rockets more than the top-heavy Lakers.
Agreed. Late-stage LeBron is operating in the post more, but that's where AD hangs out. That's a lot of drama in the paint. Not sure this was the best fit.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 AM

If LeBron turns AD into "really good Chris Bosh", I'm gonna be mad.

Is it time for a new "NBA 2019-2020" thread? This one is pretty long, and everything we're discussing now is relevant to next season.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
If LeBron turns AD into "really good Chris Bosh", I'm gonna be mad.

Is it time for a new "NBA 2019-2020" thread? This one is pretty long, and everything we're discussing now is relevant to next season.
Was going to PM you. Go ahead and start it...
Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM

The Raptors had their fan celebration last week and there was a shooting and a stabbing at the rally. At the time, my daughter was doing a clinical clerk rotation (Surgery) at St. Michael's Hospital in downtown Toronto. She helped out with one of the stabbing victims. No fatalities thankfully.

Today the Raptor's PR department (no players) showed up at St. Mike's to thank the medical staff. They got to hoist the trophy and eat some pizza. They each got a T-shirt and a championship hat too. Pretty cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7480.jpg (86.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:41 PM

Indeed! Very cool. I'm sure you're proud of her. Too bad it had to happen.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM

actually there were 4 shootings at the rally.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM
v a n i l l a

that's a great end to a lousy story.
I think it's pretty cool to see the actual trophy. awesome she actually got to hold it.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 AM

Kudos to the Raptors for applying some Stanley Cup treatment to the NBA trophy!