Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Brooks saddle adjustment

Just bought a new Brooks B17 Narrow and mounted it dead level.

This is my first leather saddle. It's very slippery compared to saddles with synthetic coverings, and I seem to be pushing way back on it, as if I'll fall off the back.

My sitbones measure 110 mm (yes, I'm tall and thin).
  1. Do I have it too far forward?
  2. Should I tilt the nose up 1 degree or so?
  3. Should I return it for a standard width?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM

A Brooks needs to have some nose-up attitude so your sit bones will be back over the wide part of the saddle and you will not have any tendency to slide forward. This will reduce pressure on your hands too. Getting this just right usually requires some trial and error because if the nose is just a little TOO up it will put pressure on your private parts but--when you get it right you should be very comfy for a long time.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 AM

IIRC, alot of people find you need a seatpost with alot of setback when using a Brookes saddle.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:54 AM

I had the same feeling when I first got a Brooks B17. I fooled around with the angle for a while until it felt right.

I started with a Velo Orange post that had a lot of setback and it works for me.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Brooks adjustment

Thanks all, I'll try those tips.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 PM

My experience with 2 different B17s is that they’re perfect when the nose is 4 degrees up from horizontal. When they’re dead level I slide forward.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Grey Roadie

OP, feeling like you need to be farther back can have two causes, at least. One is that the saddle actually tilted down and you are therefore sliding down the slope. This a negative of a smooth saddle. When this happens you slide forward and your sitbones fall off the sitbone supports letting your weight rest on your soft bits. This makes the saddle into an ass hatchet, and as your hips rock it causes abrasion on your perineum - pain and numbness!

The second one is where your saddle is actually too far back, and as you pedal your body "wants" to move forward perhaps to make your knees feel better. KOPS is IMHO an attempt to approximate where your sitbones should be, and we all know the rider should feel free to fine-tune that front/rear positioning. If you get your knees into a natural position and move the saddle forward to support your sitbones when the knees are in the correct place (here trying to set up according to KOPS is not the worst idea, but I can't say it's correct). This should at least support your bones well. If you still tend to slide forward, perhaps a subsequent tilt adjustment (nose up maybe a millimeter at a time) is what you need. If you raise the nose too much, it will support your bones but also put pressure on you perineum. BTW, these results are on a trainer with the frame levelled. Real-world riding should be the same, but often is not.

I hope this makes sense to you!

Right now I'm fine-tuning a Rivet for myself, and finding that when I am well-supported and riding in the drops, I feel like I'm slipping forward when I sit up. I don't recall feeling that on a B17 or a S-A.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-13-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM

"Well, when I got the bike, the Brooks Pro was really uncomfortable, so I slathered on an entire tin of Proofide and let it bake in the sun a few days. After 40 years, it's finally broke in pretty good."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brroks.jpg (109.6 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by verbs4us; 03-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Baller

Baller bike, baller setup