Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM

What's the sweet spot for 11s cassettes and chains?

I've got a Shimano 105 R7000 groupset on my Black Mountain Road+. It currently has an 11-30t cassette in the rear but I'm finding myself in the 30t cog for climbing pretty regularly. I think I'd like to move up to an 11-32t cassette on my next chain swap, which should be happening soon.

What do you find to be the sweet spot for cassettes and chains in terms of series/level/cost? Should I just stick with a 105 R7000? Any reason to splurge on an Ultegra or look at SRAM offerings? Any pros or cons to mixing and matching?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I've got a Shimano 105 R7000 groupset on my Black Mountain Road+. It currently has an 11-30t cassette in the rear but I'm finding myself in the 30t cog for climbing pretty regularly. I think I'd like to move up to an 11-32t cassette on my next chain swap, which should be happening soon.

What do you find to be the sweet spot for cassettes and chains in terms of series/level/cost? Should I just stick with a 105 R7000? Any reason to splurge on an Ultegra or look at SRAM offerings? Any pros or cons to mixing and matching?
Chains and cassettes are consumables. Buy relatively inexpensive ones and then change the chain at regular intervals (1,500 miles or so) so you don’t wear the cassette and chainrings prematurely. There is no reason to splurge.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM

i've just always used ultegra cassettes and ultegra/DA/x11sl chains - chains don't vary much in price so i usually match to my group, past ultegra the DA and SRAM red cassetttes get really pricey.

^but i definitely get more than 1500 from a chain but tend to ride in nicer conditions.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

For the cassette, you're already there. 105 has always been the value leader for Shimano components. Stick with R7000 for the cassette. I've become a fan of the KMC EPT series for chains. They seem to last longer in CNY's rusty environment. I use the KMC EPT chains on several otherwise all-Shimano drivetrains with good shifting results.

Greg
Old 06-01-2020, 05:01 PM

comparison of chain life test
https://www.velonews.com/gear/we-wen...what-we-found/
Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 PM

1500 miles seems bit early, would think close to double this.

What do others do?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post

What do others do?
I thought the same.....I don't keep track....I swap out when they a.) break, b.) show clearly noticeable wear, or c.) I buy/sell a bike

I did change out chains recently when I added a new cassette. I tried the YBN SLA-H11 as mentioned in the VN article and it's been great so far!
Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:

What do others do?

1500 miles is the minimum for me...but I've changed an awful lot of chains at 1501.

I've also gotten 3000-4000 miles out of a chain on occasion. But way more often it's <2500. And never >4000.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Administrator

to answer the original question - i have a bunch of both due to happenstance, i have never noticed one lick of difference operationally between a 105 and ultegra cassette.

i use KMC chains.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Interesting analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
Mechanical shift 3k+
Di2 4K+
Clean lube wipe every ride
New cassette new chain

Minute it straits to chatter 👋 bye bye
SN# HC-54-265
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:

What do others do?
1,500 is a rule of thumb if you use multiple wheelsets and want to minimize hassles. There is nothing worse than taking a free lap in a crit to get a wheel change and then having shifting problems when you leave the pit and try to rejoin the group. If you change your chain early, before you wear the cassette and chainrings, it is easier to change wheels without dealing with a skipping chain and without adjusting your shifters. And cassettes are relatively expensive these days. Why risk wearing them out prematurely? Maybe if you have one Wheelset and never have to change your wheels, you can use a chain longer, but you are more apt to wear the cassette and have to replace your chain and cassette at the same time. Changing chains at 1,500 miles, my cassettes last for a couple seasons before I even have to think about replacing them.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:

What do others do?

My goodness looking at how soon folks need chains is much different than my experience.

On current Campy Record Chain I have 10,919 miles
No problems no noise, shifts fine & is below Campy's 132.60mm stretch limit
Old 06-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
My goodness looking at how soon folks need chains is much different than my experience.

On current Campy Record Chain I have 10,919 miles
No problems no noise, shifts fine & is below Campy's 132.60mm stretch limit
What happens if you swap to a new cassette? Does it still shift like it's supposed to?

What happens if you throw a new chain on with that used cassette?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 PM

I change chains a couple times a riding season when I'm riding the same bike the majority of the time. Once at the beginning and once in the middle. When I'm home for an entire Alaskan road season (roughly mid April-late October), I average 5000 miles or so of wet, dirty pavement riding. Lots of cleaning and oiling. For 10 speed SRAM, I use 50-series chains. For 11 speed, I use 70-series chains.

My trainer bike gets a new chain once or twice a year, depending on how much I'm using it and how many times I've broken it down. I use SRAM 30-series chains on the trainer.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSerotta View Post
What happens if you swap to a new cassette? Does it still shift like it's supposed to?

What happens if you throw a new chain on with that used cassette?
Dont know as I use one cassette & it does not need changing, but I did put a new Campy H11 Carbon Crank on last week. Ran same as always...perfectly

As for new chain on this used cassette (which looks fine).....Will report back as I just did change chain 5 minutes ago as I have had a new record chain sitting in box for many months waiting for this old chain to stretch.

Will see on tomorrows ride if there is any noticeable difference.
But shifting it thru the gears now on stand I do not foresee any problems as all seems perfect

*** Of course seems a bit quieter but this is normal & partially due to Campys great grease they pack the chains in***

As an aside I have always done all my own wrenching & building for decades. I do take good care of my things & remove & clean chain every two weeks of dry rides.

If I am caught out in a rain storm I clean when I get home no exceptions

So this could also explain life of my chain/equipment.

Last edited by flying; 06-01-2020 at 10:42 PM.