Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2024, 11:20 AM

Way OT: Washer recommendations needed

My 19 year old washing machine seems to be on life support, so time for a new one.
Looking for a front loader that cleans well and will last for another 19 years.
We have young kids so it gets heavy use.
Anyone shop around lately? any recommendations?.

Last edited by trener1; 05-28-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:58 AM

Speed Queen
Old 05-28-2024, 12:29 PM

On life support how? Unless it's a circuit board issue, wear parts are replaceable. I have replaced the door seal and some belts on my 2007 Kenmore (IIRC Whirlpool) front loader and it's fine. None of the parts were expensive and I watched youtube videos for instructions.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:29 PM

My advice, avoid the front load washers. Buy a classic style top load with the centre agitator.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:32 PM

I've been happy with LG front load washers. Work well and I've had no reliability issues.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:34 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
My advice, avoid the front load washers. Buy a classic style top load with the centre agitator.
Agreed on the top load. When I was shopping, I was also told to avoid front loaders.

On the agitator, I have found the unit we have without one cleans really well. On the plus side, you get more volume and no tangled mess (ie drawstrings getting tangled around the agitator).

Ours is an LG with WiFi. Been running great for 6 yrs.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:40 PM

Plus one on skipping front loaders. Two family members have purchased front loaders on last 5 years and both keep the thing open all the time when not running to keep it from smelling like mildew. I don’t recall the details but both hate them.

Also, my 19 year old top loading washer I’ve gotten by with YouTube repair tutorials. I can’t set up hydraulic brakes but have had 100% success keeping my machine going for 19 years and under 100 in parts and just a screwdriver. Had to disconnect the lid shutoff safety switch but luckily nobody has tried to jump into it yet while running

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Old 05-28-2024, 12:48 PM

If you want the new one to last 19+ years, there is only one.

Speed Queen: +1000.

You want the "old school" direct drive TC5 washer and matching dryer. Remember the washing machine your mother had decades ago that was built like a tank and worked perfectly for 30 years? The TC5 is that machine.

The TC5 is a top loader though. I suggest you go with it anyway. It's that good.

If you want to have some fun, there is a passionate (yes, passionate) Speed Queen fan base on the internet. Just Google around and you will find it. This YouTube video describes the fan base and the TC5 succinctly, starting at 2:10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgbfxJ8MTQ

You won't find Speed Queen at the big box stores. You'll need to go to a "real" appliance store. This is exactly like going to a "real" bike store when you want a serious bike.

Last edited by dgauthier; 05-28-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I feel like front loaders were/are some fashion trend. Everyone had to have one as if anyone ever looks at your washing machine.

I had one at the old house, it sucked. Had to keep the door seal cleaned and as mentioned, the door open all the time.

It's a ridiculous concept really; why on earth build a machine where you need a submarine door to keep the water inside under normal operation where a top loader uses the beauty of gravity to simplify the whole process.

Anyway, a two decade old top loader came with the new house, and it's better in every way than our former "modern" front loader ever was.

If this one dies, I will go for a top loader without the agitator center beam, but will never go back to a front loader.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:00 PM
Everything is connected

Another vote for Speed Queen.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:10 PM

Wirecutter reviews is your best friend! I literally lookup almost everything on that site when I need a good source for reviews. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2024, 01:18 PM
Randomhead

I don't understand how top loaders fail to stink. Our last top loader had gearbox failure, and before I decided I wasn't going to spend $200 on the parts, I took the drum out. There was almost 20 pounds of crud in the tub. Watching repair videos, that seems to be common.

But I think the big complaint about front loaders is that repair people don't know how to deal with bearings. I feel like they are going to figure it out, and if they don't I know I can do it.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:27 PM

My 10 year old LG top loader will need to be replaced soon as the lid and mounting system are mechanically failing. The top of the washer cracked where the lid pivots.

Inherited the setup when we bought the house; would not buy another LG product.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-29-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't understand how top loaders fail to stink. Our last top loader had gearbox failure, and before I decided I wasn't going to spend $200 on the parts, I took the drum out. There was almost 20 pounds of crud in the tub. Watching repair videos, that seems to be common.

But I think the big complaint about front loaders is that repair people don't know how to deal with bearings. I feel like they are going to figure it out, and if they don't I know I can do it.
I can't speak to your question about the top loaders, but I know the front loaders we've had, had 2 issues:

1. No matter how careful we were, they always began to stink at some point.
2. Because they are 'energy efficient' and use less water......big surprise, clothes don't get as clean!!

And, with regards to some of the newer -top- loaders that don't have an agitator and are regarded as energy efficient, the issues I've read about those mainly have to do with the fact that, again, they try to use less water, which can result in your clothes not being cleaned properly.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Another vote for Speed Queen.
and another