Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Are you sure you want your first bike that's not a rental to be a full custom bike from somebody who specialized in mountain bikes?

I think you should buy an off-the-peg bike for a lot cheaper*, get used to it, see what you like, what you don't like, and how your needs change as you get more experience. Then buy an expensive frame.

*For example, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Dolan TC1, for example, if I needed a new track bike tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:01 PM

I've probably got about 120 hrs over 60 sessions at milton plus about the same 15 years ago at dieppe.

Looking at a stock frame so price seems reasonable. Plus had bad experience with primary Dolan dealer near me. I've got time.

Was also considering a marinoni for about the same price as the altruiste.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM

After riding the bikes that they make available at the track, I bought a bike online from Aventon. They are around $400 for the full bike. I believe that the team down here in San Diego uses them, and they seem to be pretty decently made (no complaints here). I may at some point buy something pricier, fancier and more interesting, but these are a good value and the right tool for the job, particularly if you are still exploring your set-up, as I am. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 AM

Maybe we are a spoiled, the rentals here (Argon 18 electron) would retail for about $1700 CAD so stepping up to a $2000 CAD bike does not seem like a big jump up in terms of price or the improved quality of components I can scrounge up used and online.

Looking at the aventons - the geometry seems in line with both the argons and the stock altruiste.