Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 06:16 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Ha! I ended up with this from my parents. They bought it after they got married, back in... a while ago. I had it restored to playing order. It sounds pretty bad, but that's not the point, is it?

Fisher High Fidelity. AM and that new-fangled FM!!!! Plays 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm records! There's just no stoppin' technology, eh?
thats hilarious! My parents bought me this green fold-up “stereo” so they would not have to listen to Frank Zappa on their hifi!

on another topic, one band i never saw live was Captain Beefheart. Really an amazing musician/composer. Just never made it out of a nitch following. For your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t2f3kfPkw

you are welcome!

Last edited by Tz779; 02-11-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Here are the Beolab 8000’s

And the backside of some 901’s I’m messing with - need a bigger amp for those

Beautiful!
Old 02-11-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
thats hilarious! My parents bought me this green fold-up “stereo” so they would not have to listen to Frank Zappa on their hifi!

on another topic, one band i never saw live was Captain Beefheart. Really an amazing musician/composer. Just never made it out of a nitch following. For your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t2f3kfPkw

you are welcome!
He's one I heard of, but have never really known anything about. But I can tell you this. He stole that from Mississippi. North Mississippi to be more precise. Nothing wrong with that, though. Heck, "Well I was born in the Delta" is the first lyric.

It's interesting how blues from the South was taken up by the British - Stones, Cream, and others - then "imported" back to the US to an unknowing audience.

Here's RL Burnside doing his version of the same melody. I saw him a few times down there before he died. But that melody goes back even further, to folks like Fred McDowell (died in 1972), who taught RL. Beefheart almost assuredly got it from Fred or someone similar down there.

Trains, women, whiskey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rTEv6EzOGI
Old 02-11-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
He's one I heard of, but have never really known anything about. But I can tell you this. He stole that from Mississippi. North Mississippi to be more precise. Nothing wrong with that, though. Heck, "Well I was born in the Delta" is the first lyric.

It's interesting how blues from the South was taken up by the British - Stones, Cream, and others - then "imported" back to the US to an unknowing audience.

Here's RL Burnside doing his version of the same melody. I saw him a few times down there before he died. But that melody goes back even further, to folks like Fred McDowell (died in 1972), who taught RL. Beefheart almost assuredly got it from Fred or someone similar down there.

Trains, women, whiskey.

I also have several Jimmy Reed LPs.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:45 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
They [Little Feat] were the opener for Yes...the first tour after Wakeman left. To this day both my friend who I went with an I use Little Feat as a code word for a terrible show.
Somewhat germane due to the Lowell George/Roy Estrada connection...but moreso because of the "code word for a terrible show" thing:

The very first concert I ever attended without parental supervision was Frank Zappa & The Mothers in November 1974 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ.

The opening act was Elvin Bishop.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that at the ripe old age of 14 I quite possibly could not appreciate whatever it was that Elvin Bishop offered.*

But I thought he sucked. Worse still (for him; encouraging for my nascent musical tastes), the entire audience, eagerly awaiting Frank Zappa, thought that Elvin Bishop sucked. The audience literally booed him off the stage. To this day I sometimes wonder how that must have felt, an artist of his stature being booed off the stage.

But also to this day I will often use "Elvin Bishop" as code word to my buddy who attended that concert with me when describing music that is inexplicably popular or (heaven forefend) respected when I actually think it sucks.

*I will also admit that now at the ripe old age of 60 I still cannot appreciate whatever it is that Elvin Bishop offers.

...and don't get me started on Little Feat.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
RL Burnside
"Someday Baby" has been on heavy rotation the past couple months.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Somewhat germane due to the Lowell George/Roy Estrada connection...but moreso because of the "code word for a terrible show" thing:

The very first concert I ever attended without parental supervision was Frank Zappa & The Mothers in November 1974 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ.

The opening act was Elvin Bishop.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that at the ripe old age of 14 I quite possibly could not appreciate whatever it was that Elvin Bishop offered.*

But I thought he sucked. Worse still (for him; encouraging for my nascent musical tastes), the entire audience, eagerly awaiting Frank Zappa, thought that Elvin Bishop sucked. The audience literally booed him off the stage. To this day I sometimes wonder how that must have felt, an artist of his stature being booed off the stage.

But also to this day I will often use "Elvin Bishop" as code word to my buddy who attended that concert with me when describing music that is inexplicably popular or (heaven forefend) respected when I actually think it sucks.

*I will also admit that now at the ripe old age of 60 I still cannot appreciate whatever it is that Elvin Bishop offers.

...and don't get me started on Little Feat.

May I buy you a malted beverage?

Well said
Old 02-12-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I also have several Jimmy Reed LPs.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:36 PM

Audioholics recently posted a bookshelf speaker article that may help.

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshel...bookshelf-2020

Tim
Old 02-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:

Trains, women, whiskey.

“born in the desert” actually, which he was raised in. And yes, heavy blues influence, like everyone else you mentioned. Art is always rediscovered. If i designed a chair, which i thought was “original,” i could probably find it carved into a wall in an Egyptian pyramid.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:53 PM
Administrator

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 90s.jpeg (37.1 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
I am a big fan of Ascend Acoustics: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html
Excellent bang for your buck. I have a pair of the CBM-170’s in my office and they’re great. Also using their stuff for our TV surround sound, 5.1.
I’d check out the CBM or CMT in your price range. If you can find them used, even better.
Good luck and enjoy!
I randomly came across this post. And here I've been thinking that I have no idea whatever possessed me to purchase some Ascend 340s and 200s about 15 years ago. "some internet company" when I got them, and assumed they had disappeared by now. I guess not. They still work and sound good btw.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 PM

No offense but I consider 901's to be the worst loudspeakers ever made. All series.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
“born in the desert” actually, which he was raised in. And yes, heavy blues influence, like everyone else you mentioned. Art is always rediscovered. If i designed a chair, which i thought was “original,” i could probably find it carved into a wall in an Egyptian pyramid.
Isn't that the truth.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
No offense but I consider 901's to be the worst loudspeakers ever made. All series.
The funny thing about Bose is that some people love them; others hate them.

A long time ago I sold hifi at Tweeter in the shadow of the Bose Mountain. One day a young guy walked in, pulled a wad of cash out of his pocket and asked "how much Bose do I get for this?" Answer was a pair of 301s.

Personally, I think they suck too. Unlistenable.

I think it has to do with the structure of the ear. Maybe not.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-15-2021 at 06:37 AM.