Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:54 PM

Don't Ride Stupid

My friend "Tom" (not his real name) was riding yesterday with "Fred".

Fred was leading Tom, and without signaling or ANY advance notice of his intentions, turns right, into a local business.

Fred thought Tom was a distance back, because he "didn't hear (Tom's) freewheel."

Tom was in fact, right on Fred's wheel, slightly to the right.

Now Tom has a broken pelvis.

And Fred is beside himself with guilt as he acknowledged his extremely dumb move.

Don't ride stupid.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Ouch. Hope everyone heals quickly and gets back on their bikes soon.

I had some coworkers take a 3-4 bike pile up on a pair of RR tracks after a descent, that did not end pretty. The leader thought he was perpendicular (to the tracks @ 90degrees) but found out that slip angles and friction were not in their favor that day.

Take care, and ride safe!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Because going to the ER is to be avoided especially now.

Talk about a good PSA!!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
My friend "Tom" (not his real name) was riding yesterday with "Fred".

Fred was leading Tom, and without signaling or ANY advance notice of his intentions, turns right, into a local business.

Fred thought Tom was a distance back, because he "didn't hear (Tom's) freewheel."

Tom was in fact, right on Fred's wheel, slightly to the right.

Now Tom has a broken pelvis.

And Fred is beside himself with guilt as he acknowledged his extremely dumb move.

Don't ride stupid.
I did this to my wife shortly after we started dating. We were on a route that I had done a hundred times, but 1st for her. I don't know if I didn't signal, or she didn't see it? Turned right, and took her out. Thankfully no real harm done. I felt like an ass.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 PM

I know 2 people that slipped badly in tracks. Be cautious on ‘em! And both were what I’d call experienced (maybe not good but lots of miles). Take care out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
Ouch. Hope everyone heals quickly and gets back on their bikes soon.

I had some coworkers take a 3-4 bike pile up on a pair of RR tracks after a descent, that did not end pretty. The leader thought he was perpendicular (to the tracks @ 90degrees) but found out that slip angles and friction were not in their favor that day.

Take care, and ride safe!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I did this to my wife shortly after we started dating. We were on a route that I had done a hundred times, but 1st for her. I don't know if I didn't signal, or she didn't see it? Turned right, and took her out. Thankfully no real harm done. I felt like an ass.
And she still married you! What a keeper, congratulations.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 PM

Physical distancing is a good practice at all times unless you have a very close relationship with your riding partner(s).
Old 05-03-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Old 05-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
And she still married you! What a keeper, congratulations.
11 years now. We're stuck with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yeah, no breast cupping on that one.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:11 PM

I forgot to mention I recently had a near miss with a local I was following down from the summit @ Mount Diablo. We were descending safely and giving each other plenty of space and sight lines right until the end where he decided to cut thru a known unlawful trail. He said he “signaled” with his foot unclipped for me to clearly see he wanted to turn right. I was able to stop just in time as he cut across my bow from the middle of the lane. Sheesh!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Boeuf Chane

It's interesting that in the cycling world it's the person in front's responsibility to let the one in back know what he's going to do, and considered his fault if he doesn't and an accident ensues.

But in the four-wheel world it's the responsibility of the following vehicle to stay far enough back to stop in time regardless of how quickly or abruptly the vehicle in front reduces their speed.

I suppose it's due to importance of drafting in cycling, which in "normal" driving plays no role at all, and I would bet is illegal.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It's interesting that in the cycling world it's the person in front's responsibility to let the one in back know what he's going to do, and considered his fault if he doesn't and an accident ensues.

But in the four-wheel world it's the responsibility of the following vehicle to stay far enough back to stop in time regardless of how quickly or abruptly the vehicle in front reduces their speed.

I suppose it's due to importance of drafting in cycling, which in "normal" driving plays no role at all, and I would bet is illegal.
In my cycling life it is nobody's job to keep me posted

Of course I appreciate a hand pointing out hazards but it does not relieve me of my own responsibility/situational awareness
Old 05-04-2020, 12:08 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

The wise move these days is to ride far below your capability.
That is my plan, and I am sticking to it for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:52 AM
Riding Along

My question here is this: Why would any one be riding on a persons wheel given the fact that we are in a pandemic and should be excercizing physical distancing? Also assuming that a stranger is going to ride predictably is not a good idea. Hope your friend heals up well, very hard way to be punished for a lapse in judgement.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
My question here is this: Why would any one be riding on a persons wheel given the fact that we are in a pandemic and should be excercizing physical distancing? Also assuming that a stranger is going to ride predictably is not a good idea. Hope your friend heals up well, very hard way to be punished for a lapse in judgement.
That´s a good question.
Closed Thread