Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:13 AM

Current covid resources for cyclists?

I finally managed to get Covid this week. No real idea where I could have gotten it from. I ate lunch out on Tuesday and was at the office Tuesday/Wednesday but no one was sick at work, I barely spent any time within 10ft of anyone, and when I went out to eat at lunch there was really no one anywhere near me.

I am not that sick, I started feeling a little sick on Wednesday. I rode 15 miles that day taking it easy, which was my plan anyway. I was in a scheduled rest week anyway.

Tested negative yesterday, wasn't that sick but worked from home, then I was pretty sick early this AM and called in sick and then went to the urgent care and tested positive.

Again not that sick, after I got up and had a bunch of water and breakfast I started feeling much better.. I've been sicker from the flu, and while maybe I did spike a fever at some point I have not actually had a fever observable on a thermometer. My BP was 125/86 at the doctor (< 1 hour after a cup of coffee though) and my HR seems to be normal, sitting typing it's in the low 60s.

I have had my best start to the season in a few years.. I was planning on going for a big ride tomorrow, that's obviously not happening. I am just curious what others know about when/how to resume. Most of the stuff on the web seems to be pretty vague, though I'd certainly say my case is "mild" so far.
Old Today, 11:42 AM

We still don’t know much about how to avoid long COVID.

Seems a prudent approach is to resume strenuous physical activities more slowly than you would from a bad cold or mild case of the flu.

Although I’m not aware of any hard science to support that.

The current consensus is that low risk (younger, healthy, non-immune suppressed) people don’t seem to benefit by taking Paxlovid.
Old Today, 01:40 PM

If you are going to start Plaxlovid, now's the time. A word of warning that I didn't get.
It may give you a serious metal taste for a few days. Everything will taste like trash.
That was my only side effect. It did seem to help, but I was pretty sick
Old Today, 02:00 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
We still don’t know much about how to avoid long COVID.

Seems a prudent approach is to resume strenuous physical activities more slowly than you would from a bad cold or mild case of the flu.

Although I’m not aware of any hard science to support that.

The current consensus is that low risk (younger, healthy, non-immune suppressed) people don’t seem to benefit by taking Paxlovid.
Take this advice. Stay away from exercise for a while. There is enough early data to suggest that not doing so increases your risk of long covid symptoms. Anecdotally I know several people that were very fit and healthy and started exercising as soon as they felt ok then developed long covid symptoms. Give yourself time to clear the virus completely. Felling normal does not mean that you are clear. Both times I had Covid I gave myself the better part of a week after felling good before I jumped back on the bike then eased myself back. Best wishes for your recovery.
Old Today, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
If you are going to start Plaxlovid, now's the time. A word of warning that I didn't get.
It may give you a serious metal taste for a few days. Everything will taste like trash.
That was my only side effect. It did seem to help, but I was pretty sick
It can also result in "rebound" COVID - as you taper of Paxlovid, the infection seems to rebound for a few days. No idea if this is universal, or applies more to older people, or something else.

As for return to activity... seems people with mid- to moderate- cases can start easing* back in a few days after symptoms subside. Seems to take a week or so to feel mostly normal. If you have lingering symptoms, probably best to seek medical advice somewhere other than the internet. [seriously - ease back in, don't hammer it the first day you feel remotely ok]

Single data point - I had my infection a few years ago (summer after vaccinnes were available). I was vaccinated a month or two beforehand. Felt a little off Sunday night, went to work (from home) Monday and called in sick mid-day. Tues/Wed were 102* fevers, bad headaches and aches, Thur started to feel better and worked a half-day. First ride was a short solo spin that Sunday (1 week after initial onset). A few rides that week, slowly feeling better. Two weeks after initial onset, felt good enough to actually train.
Old Today, 02:26 PM

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...covid19/109486
Old Today, 03:07 PM

I had it over Xmas. The first couple of days weren't too bad but days 3-5 were the worst for me. I didn't take Paxlovid.

Being tired and a metallic taste in my mouth were the two main symptoms I had. I started feeling better at day 7 and I rode 5 days after that. The worse thing was the taste it lasted about two weeks for me.

Hopefully, it won't be too bad for you but plan on taking a week or two off the bike.
Old Today, 03:11 PM

Ok. Interesting. I’m 46, there was zero mention of Paxlovid.

My throat is pretty dang sore and I do have a headache but I’m already better than yesterday for the most part. Yesterday I had a lot of chills and aches.

I have no smell or taste issues so far. Looks like I’ll be taking it easy.
Old Today, 03:20 PM

The following is not medical advice. I'm not a doctor, etc. etc.

Based on research I did at the time, the following is what I did.

Did not ride while positive. Once I was neg I started riding Z1 for the first few days then Z2 the rest of the week. After that back to regular routine.
Old Today, 03:27 PM

I had it this past fall and my doctor wouldn't give me the prescription, he said that for someone that is fit and not in any of the high risk categories the side affects are worse then dealing with the symptoms for a few days (like you I wasn't feeling all that sick).

I took it very easy as far as returning to riding because there have been reports of people going back to training too soon and developing lung issues, personally I would rather loose a week or 2 of training then worry about my lungs being at 80% for the next 6 months.
Old Today, 03:52 PM

Are you vaccinated? If so, ideally you won't feel that bad and your downtime will be brief.

When to return to exercise depends on many factors including your age, overall health, and the severity of the infection. It would be wise to ask your doctor when would be the best time to resume strenuous exercise.

Remember: COVID infects your lungs. You only have one pair of lungs so you don't want to damage them simply because you didn't wait a few extra days.

Last edited by dgauthier; Today at 03:55 PM.
Old Today, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
The following is not medical advice. I'm not a doctor, etc. etc.

Based on research I did at the time, the following is what I did.

Did not ride while positive. Once I was neg I started riding Z1 for the first few days then Z2 the rest of the week. After that back to regular routine.
I’ll third this.

My case was extremely mild, with almost none of the traditional cold symptoms, but any mild efforts like walking up a flight of stairs would send my heart rate shooting up. I took a solid two weeks off and then eased back into it. Thankfully I’ve got nothing lingering.
Old Today, 04:41 PM

Assuming that you are training and monitoring your heart rate regularly through and after sessions, give it a few days and if you feel good, go ride and watch your heart rate during and after. If its similar to before covid, I'd say you are good to go. Don't go out and do any death marches for a couple of weeks.

Not a doctor, so take my advice at your own risk.

What did your doctor say?
Old Today, 06:07 PM

I’ve always taken the approach of when sick, if I don’t want to ride, I don’t. If I do, I will. That wouldn’t change if i were diagnosed with Covid or a common cold.
Old Today, 06:26 PM

Covid

I tested + for 10 days. Wicked tired. That was about it. Higher pulse than normal. When negative slowly started training keeping heart rate low. After a few weeks resumed long efforts and woke up with atrial flutter/ afib. Intimidating to wake up like that. Noticed heart missing beats after working out. Then the same prior. Did echo cardio, EKG, wore the patch... All in the realm of normal - skipped beats are not frequent enuf. But I felt them!

I bagged all intervals, long distances and dropped out of 10 hour event I was training for. Now - skipped beats are less frequent - nothing that draws my attention as previously.

So... Was all this covid related (I think so, which is why I think I am doing better the longer I am away from the time I was ill) Or is this the onset of heart issues which will get worse? Who knows

I recommend go slow. Not worth it to push the issue.