Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2024, 12:10 PM

Equipment review - Zipp SL-70 Aero Handlebar -

I was reading not all that long ago that there are a few parts of the bike where it’s easy to bolt on an aero advantage and one of them was an aero handlebar. I decided to try them on my all-road MRB because it’s the bike I ride most often. And while the speeds are lower than on a pure road bike there’s so often enough wind for aero to help even at the lower speed. I bought a pair of the Zipp DSL-70 Aero bars in the 44 cm width.

Firstly…I could not feel an aero advantage. It might be there and for sure it would be small but I have faith that it should make the bike slightly more slippery. What I didn't expect was the added comfort owing to the shape of the bar and the different hand positions it makes available. I was surprised how much I love the large flat-ish part of the bar tops. The size and curve of the tops matches my hands so well that it feels like they took a mold of my hand to design the shape. The large surface area really helps keep my hands happy. I would occasionally have hand discomfort with a normal round bar and I would have to shake them out on longer rides… this is no longer the case and the aero cross section spreads the load across so much more area that the pressure is that much lower.

I find that I like to climb with my hands right next to the stem with my thumb wrapping around the round part of the bar and my palm happy on the flat part. I always liked this position on my old road bars but I found I didn’t hang out there for all that long. With the Zipp Aero bar I feel like I can stay there until the climb is over and it’s time to go downhill.

The position of the cable ports routes the cables in a nice smooth curve. The bars weigh just a few grams less than the round carbon bar I had been using and the drops fit my hands very well.

Like Saddles, handlebars are so very personal that works for me may, or may not, work well for you. That said I’d be surprised if they didn’t work well for other riders too. In the end I love these things and I wish I’d gotten a pair earlier. I for sure will be putting a pair on my paved road bike too. It’s funny - I bought them for the aero benefit and I’ll be keeping them for the comfort. Go figure.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7778.jpg (71.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7780.jpg (98.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7783.jpg (89.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7786.jpg (92.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 10-01-2024, 12:15 PM

I find that I like to climb with my hands right next to the stem with my thumb wrapping around the round part of the bar and my palm happy on the flat part. I always liked this position on my old road bars but I found I didn’t hang out there for all that long. With the Zipp Aero bar I feel like I can stay there until the climb is over and it’s time to go downhill.

I agree I dont really notice any aero advantage but my palms do like the flat part of the bars
Old 10-01-2024, 12:16 PM

I got the gravel version recently, which appears to be somewhat similar in design.

I love it. I thought the original xplr bar was excellent and they managed to make it even better with the carbon model. The shape by the hoods is so comfortable with the added shelf where the brake line exits.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:40 PM

Very nice. I really like the bend and flare of that bar. It would be nice if they offered an aluminum version.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Very nice. I really like the bend and flare of that bar. It would be nice if they offered an aluminum version.
I doubt aluminum can be shaped like the carbon bar if it is anything like the xplr carbon bar i recently purchased. The key reason it is a nice change from the aluminum xplr bar is that they could mold the shape significantly more in specific areas with carbon.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:24 PM

Love how the simple animation doesn't show how much of a clusterf*ck the bar swap is with the cables fully internal. Would almost be cool with external cables.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:46 PM
what's a little rust?

I’m spoiled by the flatter tops of certain Zipp and Ritchey bars. It impacts my commitment to the role of Nitto fanboy because their bars don’t have it, and I now need it.
Old 10-01-2024, 01:48 PM
litcrazy

Those do look comfy. I like their aluminum XPLR bars.
If it wasn't for the price, I'd be tempted to try them on my Seven Alaris with Suntour bar end shifters. I'd have to see if they were approved. I imagine its a combo they may not have run through testing.
Old 10-01-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I have the aluminum "ergo" version of the SL70 and it has flattened tops, very comfortable, would recommend. Ergo doesn't mean the bumpy drops anymore that weren't particularly ergo in my experience.. take a look here
Old 10-01-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Love how the simple animation doesn't show how much of a clusterf*ck the bar swap is with the cables fully internal. Would almost be cool with external cables.
What???
Old 10-01-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I've got these exact bars (in 42cm) on my Boone for road/CX/light gravel and I didn't run them internally. just lots of electrical tape at the inner-edge of the bartape; so far so good.

I like these bars, but my 1 personal gripe is the aggressive "drops" position. I like more compact shapes that are more horizontal as they curve from under the shifter clamps. These Zipps feel nearly vertical in that section, but it does pull my chest down, which I guess is another aero advantage anyway.
Old 10-01-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I have the aluminum "ergo" version of the SL70 and it has flattened tops, very comfortable, would recommend. Ergo doesn't mean the bumpy drops anymore that weren't particularly ergo in my experience.. take a look here
Thanks. I saw that but it does not have the same bend as the ones Dave has.
Old 10-01-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
What???
He meant to post that comment over in this thread, about Canyon's changeable handlebar: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=310628