Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 12:59 AM

OT - quiet simple ‘alarm’ clocks?

One of my many New Years was resolutions is to park my phone outside of our bedroom so I need to find an alarm clock to take the place of my iPhone

I am a light sleeper, so I have no problems waking up (thanks to having kids waking me up in the night for years)! My iPhone alarm is set at the lowest volume and I always hear it. I don’t want one of the ambient light type of alarms - I need a nice, soft, pleasant noise to wake me up.

I also hate seeing lights flashing at me all night long - so I DO NOT want illuminated numbers.

Basically, I feel like I just want a small generic box that quietly bleats out a sound just loud enough to wake me up. I guess it needs a clock of some sort so that I can cringe when I get tapped on the shoulder at 3am to say they peed the bed - I need to know how badly I am being punished

Seriously, any thoughts on a simple, silent running, low volume alarm clock with a light sensitive display?

Someone here must have one?!?!
Old 12-27-2019, 03:52 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I’ve found my best and least intrusive alarm clock is the vibrating alarm feature on my garmin watch.

There are also some alarm clocks that are dimmable so you could dim the numbers very low and not see the time.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:23 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

What about an inexpensive digital alarm clock placed inside a shoebox...with a hole big enough to pass the cord to plug it into the wall?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:42 AM
aka RAEKWON

cheap casio watch is what I would use if I used alarms. I seem to wake up before any of my alarms every time.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:23 AM

When I was a kid, and through the military, and late into adulthood, I used a Westclox Big Ben or Baby Ben wind up clock. They worked and they lasted.

Until they were made in China and didn't.

I stubbornly went to my local drugstore and bought a $15 battery operated digital alarm clock. No winding, no ticking, and simple. It works.

Like this one.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM

OT - quiet simple ‘alarm’ clocks?

Seiko makes an analog alarm clock (QHE143JLH, black; QHE143ALH, silver) that is really nice. Has a sweep second hand (ie. no click- click- click). Alarm function very easy to set from the front. Gentle LED face lights that allows sleep but can be seen at night, and brightens up is you press the snooze button. Amber LED when alarm function is disabled, green LED when alarm enabled. Large dial with hands that can easily be read across the bedroom. Takes 3 AA batteries.
Edit: Forgot to mention that the alarm is not obnoxious but starts out a gentle chirp that builds volume. I’ve never woke up mad at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mike Bryant; 12-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:03 AM

buy a cheap previous-gen iphone and tuck that in your nightstand as your alarm clock.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
One of my many New Years was resolutions is to park my phone outside of our bedroom so I need to find an alarm clock to take the place of my iPhone

I am a light sleeper, so I have no problems waking up (thanks to having kids waking me up in the night for years)! My iPhone alarm is set at the lowest volume and I always hear it. I don’t want one of the ambient light type of alarms - I need a nice, soft, pleasant noise to wake me up.

I also hate seeing lights flashing at me all night long - so I DO NOT want illuminated numbers.

Basically, I feel like I just want a small generic box that quietly bleats out a sound just loud enough to wake me up. I guess it needs a clock of some sort so that I can cringe when I get tapped on the shoulder at 3am to say they peed the bed - I need to know how badly I am being punished

Seriously, any thoughts on a simple, silent running, low volume alarm clock with a light sensitive display?

Why don't you just run down to Target or someplace similar and pick out a clock radio or something that works for you??
Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

Digital watch...??
Old 12-27-2019, 09:14 AM

I've been through loads until I got an Amazon spot. Really easy to set (by voice), has a million wake up choices (I use some guys talking). Display auto dims at a preset time. It does way more than what I use it for but as an alarm clock it is perfect.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Easy;

https://www.braun-clocks.com/clocks/classic.html
Old 12-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Lenovo Smart Clock

Got my 10 year old one of these for Christmas. She has never had a bedside clock before, and now loves this. Has the ability to do a lot, so not necessarily simple, but can operate in very simple modes as well. Definitely a very simple clean appearance. Now considering getting one for our bedside.

Found ours for $40 on sale, so shop around.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-clock
Old 12-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Why don't you just run down to Target or someplace similar and pick out a clock radio or something that works for you??
I’m not looking for that . I don’t want radio, internet, etc. Just a soft beeping sound. The iPhone is my go-to but I want to rid myself of the temptation to surf the web/send email plus I do t want wireless in our bedroom.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Perhaps a classic upright grandfather clock with hourly chimes.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
Yep. Good choice.

I have one of these:
[URL="https://www.marathonwatch.com/collections/alarm/products/mini-non-ticking-analog-alarm-clock-with-auto-back-light-and-snooze-function"]

I got it for the same reason you are talking about, trying not to look at my phone. I think it is about perfect for my needs. Good size. The snooze button illuminates the face (you can also set it to be lit all the time). Alarm isn't too loud and the big red button makes it very clear as to whether your alarm is set or not. Also, it doesn't tick, which would drive me insane.

$30 bucks on amazon.