Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 06:28 AM

had 300 pro once a long time ago....great summer watch but it was tall enough that it found many things to bang into.....door frames, cuffs, my then toddler sons' head. Here it is in a treasure chest I put together for his 5th birthday party. Buried the chests in the yard and gave each kid a treasure map and a trowel to dig up their own "booty".

I took the Doxa out first

Old 08-31-2019, 07:21 AM
Lanterne rouge

So, turns out my $50.00 Tag Heuer is exactly that. A Tag Heuer Formula 1. I added a NATO band to lighten it up from the Stainless bracelet. Really nice watch and pretty good deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1EE43B2-5194-43D1-98D8-22443D467F58.jpg (104.4 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Cicli; 08-31-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:41 AM

I'm sorry all - but it just doesn't get any better than this. 39mm but it wears small. Very understated and will always be classic.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:49 AM

I would agree (as many others in the watch community do) that for a 1 watch collection, it does not get any better than a Rolex Explorer (in 36mm or 39mm). For me (as shown earlier in the thread), it started out with an Explorer II 40mm , which then led to a DateJust 36mm, which then led to a Submariner Date 40mm. Hopefully a GMT II will be in my future to add to my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I'm sorry all - but it just doesn't get any better than this. 39mm but it wears small. Very understated and will always be classic.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I would agree (as many others in the watch community do) that for a 1 watch collection, it does not get any better than a Rolex Explorer (in 36mm or 39mm). For me (as shown earlier in the thread), it started out with an Explorer II 40mm , which then led to a DateJust 36mm, which then led to a Submariner Date 40mm. Hopefully a GMT II will be in my future to add to my collection.
A 16750 is the dream...
Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
A 16750 is the dream...
Bought it new in 1994 for $2850 (about $4400 in today's dollars) but can't believe they are selling for almost $7500 in the pre-owned market.

For that money, I would rather have the new Explorer II 216750 42mm version at $8100, a new Submariner (no date) for $7500, or of course a new 39mm Explorer at $6550 (but you already have one of those) because they are all "technically" much better watches.

Most people, including me originally, have said the 216750 is cartoonish looking and too big but when I actually saw one in person the proportions are really good and most pictures/videos distort the "actual" look of the watch which is a shame (especially the official Rolex pictures shown below) .

If someone really wants big and cartoonish, go look at the James Cameron Sea Dweller Deep Sea because that is stupidly big and does not wear well (although an important collectible watch).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 08-31-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

What a hoot..12,800 feet 'straight down'..and if it falls into the water and sinks say a 'small amount, like say 2-3000 feet, it'll be fine..Of course you'll never be able to retrieve it..

"2 1/2 miles, straight down"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9B21&FORM=VIRE
Old 08-31-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What a hoot..12,800 feet 'straight down'..and if it falls into the water and sinks say a 'small amount, like say 2-3000 feet, it'll be fine..Of course you'll never be able to retrieve it..
As you know, since no human can actually go down into that depth without being in a pressurized submersible, the depth rating "race" Rolex, Omega, Seiko, etc. are in is sort of silly. I have heard that they actually strap the watches to the outside of the submersibles to test the watches but then I am not sure how they are useful to the person who might actually want to tell the time (assuming they do not also have their iPhone with them).

Hope your keeping the GMT of yours safe under your pillow until you are ready to sell it and use the proceeds for an early and fruitful retirement.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 08-31-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:56 AM

This is a hoot. Real life pressure test of Seiko Tunas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_U-prCyDw
Old 08-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hope your keeping the GMT of yours safe under your pillow until you are ready to sell it and use the proceeds for an early and fruitful retirement.
Already retired and won't be selling it..ever.

Story about my GMT master..kinda long.

When in second tour in USN..not a bunch of $(1978)..so, sometimes wife and I wandered around indoor malls..in Phoenix..HOT..I jokingly always asked wife..'ohh a Rolex, can I have one?"..well, one afternoon, she said, 'ok'..I was TAD(Temp Additional Duty), so got paid perdium, extra $ and the local USN reserve CPO, who did my paperwork(I was USAF Exchange)..gave me accompanied perdium..pretty big, extra $..so into a local jewelry store and bought the GMT Master $645..well, 2 days later, inside fogged up(huh??)..back to store, 'that's normal, since it was in the hot case'..poppycock I thought but ok..it cleared then did it again..back to store..'we opened up the watch and see that the back is bent..looks like you took it somewhere else and they damaged it'...Absolute BS..

So..a guy in the squadron recommend that I send it to Rolex NY..did and a wonderful gent, Mr Rosen..checked the serial number and discovered it wasn't a new watch but used..sold as new 6 years ago..so store was selling a used, damaged GMT master as new..

Presented this to store's owner(it was a chain)and mentioned a lawyer..

He said to take watch back to store..and they will give me a new one..they did, called Rolex NY with serial number..and they confirmed..new..THAT one, I have(41 years 'young') and will keep...

so...
Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Good choices about retirement and keeping the watch. I knew you were both retired and never going to part with the watch from past posts so my comment was meant to be "tongue-in-cheek".

$645 in 1978 equals $2,609.42 in 2019 so you have done well for yourself considering that the newest GMT II is over $9000 (if you can even get one) and I am going to assume your vintage model is worth at least double a new one.

Hopefully on one of my trips to Denver to visit family I'll get the chance to meet you in-person, shake your hand, and say: thank you for your service. (and you might even let me try on the GMT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Already retired and won't be selling it..ever.

Story about my GMT master..kinda long.

When in second tour in USN..not a bunch of $(1978)..so, sometimes wife and I wandered around indoor malls..in Phoenix..HOT..I jokingly always asked wife..'ohh a Rolex, can I have one?"..well, one afternoon, she said, 'ok'..I was TAD(Temp Additional Duty), so got paid perdium, extra $ and the local USN reserve CPO, who did my paperwork(I was USAF Exchange)..gave me accompanied perdium..pretty big, extra $..so into a local jewelry store and bought the GMT Master $645..well, 2 days later, inside fogged up(huh??)..back to store, 'that's normal, since it was in the hot case'..poppycock I thought but ok..it cleared then did it again..back to store..'we opened up the watch and see that the back is bent..looks like you took it somewhere else and they damaged it'...Absolute BS..

So..a guy in the squadron recommend that I send it to Rolex NY..did and a wonderful gent, Mr Rosen..checked the serial number and discovered it wasn't a new watch but used..sold as new 6 years ago..so store was selling a used, damaged GMT master as new..

Presented this to store's owner(it was a chain)and mentioned a lawyer..

He said to take watch back to store..and they will give me a new one..they did, called Rolex NY with serial number..and they confirmed..new..THAT one, I have(41 years 'young') and will keep...

so...
Old 08-31-2019, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE

For that money, I would rather have the new Explorer II 216750 42mm version at $8100, a new Submariner (no date) for $7500, or of course a new 39mm Explorer at $6550 (but you already have one of those) because they are all "technically" much better watches.

Most people, including me originally, have said the 216750 is cartoonish looking and too big but when I actually saw one in person the proportions are really good and most pictures/videos distort the "actual" look of the watch which is a shame (especially the official Rolex pictures shown below) .

[/QUOTE]

My favourite Rolex.
I’ve had two Explorer 2 watches over the years, and my next watch will be the 42mm Explorer 2 Polar.
Currently have the GMT2, but miss the Explorer so I’ll be trading this in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Yes, they are tall. About the same as my Darth Tuna above. But you have to remember that you are wearing a multi-function instrument, not just a watch.
It's definitely one of the better ani-digi implementations I think. Breitling did a nice job with theirs as well. I can't get on the Omega X-33 bandwagon though....
Old 08-31-2019, 03:43 PM

This old man is seeing more wrist time

1955 6536-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEEDEF56-E9DF-437C-92AC-FE8B4CC8736E.jpg (81.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
1955 6536-1
You’re doing alright there.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet