Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2019, 07:58 PM

Pensacola area recommendations

Hello all,

A group of 8 collegiate riders I know are traveling to the area for a winter training camp and would like insight on routes, group rides and local shops in the area. They plan to be there from January 4th through the 11th.

I’ll be linking this post to the group chat we have going (I’m the only one with an account here) , so please keep all information to this post rather than private messaging unless you prefer we keep your advice close to the vest.

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:13 PM

I live in Mississippi and have ventured into the Blackwater Forest area on a few organized rides. Blackwater is across the bay off of I-10.in Milton and I believe that local area cyclist train in the area. I believe the local club is called The West Florida Wheelman. My advice is to check with a local shop or club. I'm kind of out of that loop so I can't give you any real info you can use. Over the years with the increase of people and traffic riding anywhere south of I-10 can be challenging. Also check with the Mobile ,AL shop Cadence 120 as they used to have regular rides. Also check with the Baldwin County, Al club or local shop. I think the club is called the Baldwin Flyers or something to that effect. Sorry I'm not much help but if you contact one of the clubs or shops they will lead you in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Up for the weekend crowd; t minus 1 week!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:14 PM

In the early 2000's, I think, I raced in the area around DeFuniak Springs. There were some decent hills in that area. But, that is closer to Destin/Panama than Pensacola.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:24 PM

A previous post mentions Blackwater SP. We stayed there for a few days in our trailer and I gotta say, the riding really surprised me. Twisty, rolling country roads with no traffic. Reminded me a lot of our NE country roads. Sorry, no specifics, but it sure seemed nice. Worth checking out