Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Black Mountain monstercross - anyone?

I just realized that I have overlooked a cool option for a cheapish gravel frame - the Black Mountain Monstercross!!

Does anyone know the widest 29ertire size possible on these frames? Also, the sizing seems weird. I would normally ride a 58cm bike and the 58cm is massive here. I think the 56cm is a better fit - can anyone verify the fit (within reason) before I ask if anyone has one of these framesets?

My options thus far are a Kona sutra, Salsa Fargo and now this one...
Old 12-28-2019, 12:45 PM

You must be looking at the rim brake model? The MCD has different sizing. Site says 50c clearance on the MC fork, and 45c on the MCD. They are a bit heavy, but really well thought out designs.

Last edited by pbarry; 12-28-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:49 PM

Disc only for sure. I like the looks of the canti ones better, but discs are a must have.

I wish the clearance was bigger
Old 12-28-2019, 12:51 PM

They have a great rep, Drsigned locally (Bay Area) Also check out Van Dessel ***, which clears a 29X2.1. If I'm not mistaken Weisan has one of those.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
They have a great rep, Drsigned locally (Bay Area) Also check out Van Dessel ***, which clears a 29X2.1. If I'm not mistaken Weisan has one of those.
Geez. Double U T F.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Size 56 sold out. You might email Mike and see when the next order is scheduled.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:59 PM

My canti MC fit 2.1 Thunderburts.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeter View Post
My canti MC fit 2.1 Thunderburts.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Is that 29x2.1 Thunder Burts?

I bought a 56cm Van Dessel here but it was too small for me - had to sell it along
Old 12-28-2019, 01:11 PM

My canti also clears 2.0 tires with ease. Clearance for days. Can't say enough good things about the bike or the man behind them. I'll post some photos when I get home.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:17 PM

I own an MCD. I typically ride a 56.5-58 TT, really just depends on the geometry of the bike. I spoke with Mike prior to purchasing about a year and a half ago. He was more than helpful in helping me choose the right size. He recommended the 53 and he was spot on.

In terms of tires, 45c really is the best all around option as it leaves a good amount of clearance. I tried running a 29 Nano 2.1 first, but the rear tire rubbed the chainstays. I then tried a 29 Schwalbe Thunder Burt in a 2.1 as these tend to run a little more on the narrow side. This was the best fit of the two, but still had to trim down the side knobs a bit to get it to clear. Still a bit tighter than I really liked. I really wanted to run 2.1 on this thing, but have settled on a Riddler 45 and Snoqualmie Pass 44 on two different wheelsets.

For whatever it's worth I run a WTB KOM i23 wheelsets, as well as a HED Belgium Plus and tried both 2.1 tires on both sets of wheels.

Overall it's an awesome bike. If 2.1's were a deal breaker I would look elsewhere, or build up some wheels with hoops that are on the more narrow. If you can live with 45/48c, then you'll be in a good place! If you have any other questions let em' rip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by phoenix; 12-28-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:45 PM

I would like giant tires but I realize that 45mm comfortably would likely be sufficient.

Thanks for feedback. A 200mm headtube just seems crazy. I dont want the high rise bar effect.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM

I built one with Jones bars and a porteur bag as a commuter earlier this year and I’m very pleased. Rides pretty well and has a finish quality on par with a much more expensive product. Look carefully at the geo charts- I ride a 56 road bike and I’m pretty sure I’m on the 50cm MCD.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I own an MCD. I typically ride a 56.5-58 TT, really just depends on the geometry of the bike. I spoke with Mike prior to purchasing about a year and a half ago. He was more than helpful in helping me choose the right size. He recommended the 53 and he was spot on.

In terms of tires, 45c really is the best all around option as it leaves a good amount of clearance. I tried running a 29 Nano 2.1 first, but the rear tire rubbed the chainstays. I then tried a 29 Schwalbe Thunder Burt in a 2.1 as these tend to run a little more on the narrow side. This was the best fit of the two, but still had to trim down the side knobs a bit to get it to clear. Still a bit tighter than I really liked. I really wanted to run 2.1 on this thing, but have settled on a Riddler 45 and Snoqualmie Pass 44 on two different wheelsets.

For whatever it's worth I run a WTB KOM i23 wheelsets, as well as a HED Belgium Plus and tried both 2.1 tires on both sets of wheels.

Overall it's an awesome bike. If 2.1's were a deal breaker I would look elsewhere, or build up some wheels with hoops that are on the more narrow. If you can live with 45/48c, then you'll be in a good place! If you have any other questions let em' rip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there, can you please share what internal rim width those WTB rims you're running are? I'm seeing different numbers on that model on WTB's website. I'm trying to decide between an MCD and the Soma Wolverine. But running 2.1" Thunder Burts on my Stans Crest rim (23mm internal width) is a dealbreaker. I'd like to go with the MCD, all else being equal. But if the frame won't accept this tire/rim combo, I'll have to go with the Soma instead. *Note: mud clearance doesn't matter to me. If it'll fit, then I'm good with next to no clearance!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:35 PM

Schwalbe Furious Fred Addix Speed 2.0.

If you don't think they'll explode on you just by looking at them
Old 08-25-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrange View Post
Hi there, can you please share what internal rim width those WTB rims you're running are?

WTB puts the internal width in the model name. i23 = internal 23mm.

Tags
black mountain cycles