Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Murray View Post
I have both and I created an apples-to-apples comparison for C64 rim versus C64 disc. Here is my review I sent to the team principle of Team Novo Nordisk.

I wanted to give you some feedback on the C64 disc versus the C64 rim brake. I built both bikes to almost the same exact spec.

Disc vs. Rim brake
Frames: C64 disc vs. C64 rim
Groupset: Both are using SRAM Red 11sp etap.
Brakes: SRAM flat mount HRD vs. Dura Ace direct mount
Wheelset: Campy Shamal Ultra DB vs. Campy Shamal Mille (ceramic coating)
Post and Seat: same, C64 post and Fizik Arione CX
Bars: FSA Metron Trimax 4D, 44cm
Stem: Colnago integrated cable stem (120mm -8d) vs. Easton EA90 (120mm -10d)
Pedals: same Look Keo HM
Tires: Same, Vittoria Corsa Graphene 700x28
Weight (with cages) 17.5lbs vs 16.6lbs
The DB C64 is about 500g more due to the heavier levers, having rotors, and differences in weight in the braking calipers.

The feel.
The DB C64 feels more solid/heavier in the front end due the lever weight and rotor. It also feels "more solid/heavier" also because the levers are just bigger/chunkier than normal levers.

Braking is better, but, with aluminum rims, I did not have an issue. My rim brake C64 already had the best rim braking possible (direct mount DA calipers, ceramic coated Campy rims, and non-compressible brake housing). I can see if I was comparing it to a rim brake bike with carbon wheels, the disc brakes would be a huge improvement.

Either way, both bikes are great. The frames are identical in feel. 500g difference doesn't really matter to me. What actually matters to me is that the rim brake levers are smaller/thinner and fit my hands better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for posting this! This is amazing that you get to try both. As good as apple to apple comparison that people never get to do. I bet the Blue bikes are faster.