Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Well, you guys don't really count, as you are one of the few clubs that could play the run-out your contracts and we'll increase your pay card. That accounts for Goretzka and Lewandowski.

That said, you guys are playing two academy products (3 in you include Davies). That's quite commendable. And the fee you paid for Kimmich and Thiago are downright ludicrously low. That's some shrewd bit of scouting. Mystery as to why Barça allowed a talent such as Thiago leave. I mean, yeah, they still had Xavi and Iniesta then, but a bit daft not to think of succession plans. Ditto with the hare-brained trade to swap Arthur. The coffers at Camp Nou must be getting low, after lavishing ~400 Mil on just four players
Well this is the hard part for many clubs, a part that i think really is good for football. Talents will try to move clubs if they are put on the bench for to long. They would rather evolve in a "lesser" club. Clubs will have to factor this in or they will cause unwanted friction and leave anyway. So sometimes you just have to let players go even if its not your ideal choice as a club. This is a good thing as it keeps the playing field somewhat (well more at least) even. Everyone wants to play for barca (well did at least) but not if that means you will end up and rot on the sidelines when you are 22.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 08-17-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Oh man, a half of could have beens for Lyon. Two chances, both poorly taken. Just not clinical enough.

Bayner, OTOH, is as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel (at least going forward).
Old 08-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Strong Walker

25min till kickoff...
Old 08-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Strong Walker

Old 08-23-2020, 04:21 PM

Congrats! Bayern were the better team.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:32 PM

and another continental triple, no less. Impressive feat

Bayern was always going to get another, at least the two odious ex-wingers didn't get anything
Old 08-23-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Congrats! Bayern were the better team.
Yes indeed!!
Old 08-25-2020, 01:38 PM

Time to bring out the popcorns

Messi wants to leave; thinks he can transfer for free, but Barça disagrees.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...le-over-clause

Question is, who can afford him and who can afford to have a "loafer" who doesn't contribute much to defending. He once had diligent teammates who covered for his deficiencies, thereby allowing his attacking prowess to show, but the game has changed.

Qatar (I mean PSG) could afford him, but it already has a loaded attacking unit. Pep may consider present-day Messi lacking in defensive work rate. I guess this means that Chelsea then, as it doesn't mind paying hundreds of millions to bring in attacking players, despite the primary concern being defensive solidity.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:08 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Question is, who can afford him and who can afford to have a "loafer" who doesn't contribute much to defending.
Juve is fine with their loafer...
Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 PM

My bet is on Internazionale.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:04 AM

Barça cluster f...

Interesting how Barcelona's management seems to get away with putting all the blame for their situation on anybody but themselves.
I am absolutely no fan of Suárez, as a matter of fact I think he should have been banned from football a long time ago, but how they treat him and some other players is ridiculous.
Leave alone Koeman's conduct.
If I were a player, I would think twice about joining them unless they fire and replace the whole leadership.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:52 PM
Cranky!

Such a shame about Messi, because now he won't get the sendoff he so richly deserves.

Was thinking today about where he might fit next, but he might just decide he's piled up enough loot, and play out a couple of seasons at Newell's, then spend the rest of his days slurping mate and tending the parilla. Don't really see him becoming a manager or pundit.

Barcelona has become a textbook case of how success and wealth breeds boredom, ennui and complacency. I've been a Barca fan since roughly 1979, and will continue to be one, but, holy cow, they are rotten to the core at the top. Start fresh. They have club culture (both in terms of identity and sporting ideals), great youth system, and a huge fan base. Rebuild from scratch.

Koeman does not strike me as the right guy. He's a link to Cruyff, but not half the man as manager.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Such a shame about Messi, because now he won't get the sendoff he so richly deserves.

Was thinking today about where he might fit next, but he might just decide he's piled up enough loot, and play out a couple of seasons at Newell's, then spend the rest of his days slurping mate and tending the parilla. Don't really see him becoming a manager or pundit.

Barcelona has become a textbook case of how success and wealth breeds boredom, ennui and complacency. I've been a Barca fan since roughly 1979, and will continue to be one, but, holy cow, they are rotten to the core at the top. Start fresh. They have club culture (both in terms of identity and sporting ideals), great youth system, and a huge fan base. Rebuild from scratch.

Koeman does not strike me as the right guy. He's a link to Cruyff, but not half the man as manager.
Wait, what? Here I am, thinking you are a Koppite (and now a Kloppite) through and through

Which team were you rooting for during that famous Anfield Night last year?

As for Barça, kinda reminds me of the rot that's eating away Man U. At least there, the issue is evident: Glazers essentially skimming off the top while loading the club with debt. Bit different here.

Last edited by echappist; 08-26-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Wait, what?
Barca has been my team in Spain since Hans Krankl won the Pichichi, and I spent the summer of '82 there on a language course.

Then I moved to another continent, and had very limited access to coverage of the professional game, until the flame was relit watching Michael Owen score that goal against Argentina, and buying an ugly, but genuine, white-collared Reebok jersey at a Pennsylvania Marshall's a couple of weeks later. And the Premiership turned out to be the league to watch, with the money drawing the world's best players.

I was rooting for Liverpool in the 2019 semi-final, not even close. But Messi is the greatest ever, not close on that one either.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Messi wants to leave; thinks he can transfer for free, but Barça disagrees.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...le-over-clause

Question is, who can afford him and who can afford to have a "loafer" who doesn't contribute much to defending. He once had diligent teammates who covered for his deficiencies, thereby allowing his attacking prowess to show, but the game has changed.

Qatar (I mean PSG) could afford him, but it already has a loaded attacking unit. Pep may consider present-day Messi lacking in defensive work rate. I guess this means that Chelsea then, as it doesn't mind paying hundreds of millions to bring in attacking players, despite the primary concern being defensive solidity.
Talks of City signing him and then off to NYC FC.