Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Wiggo at least had sense enough to get out before the doping allegations caught up to him while he was still racing.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
So someone would use this drug not because of the benefits in and of itself, but to hide something else they are taking?
It's also taken just cause of "peloton knowledge". People seem to take it and/or get faulty diagnoses just cause they think it helps. Could just be placebo effect.

At least that was what I heard through the grapevine at the amateur level.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I wish I could have come down with EIA in my twenties, it would have been so nice to have that performance boost EIA seems to give.

Always noticed it seemed the further up the competitive ladder you got the higher % of cyclists seemed to have EIA till you got to the top pros and they seemingly all have it. Amazing our sport self selects for people with a bronchial syndrome the same way basketball selects for height.

I'll tell you what it's like when I don't take it, Mr. Rolleyes. When I'm riding at 95% or more of my Max HR for more than a minute, fluid builds up in my airway, my throat tightens, I get light headed, and I feel like I'm choking. If I take one puff at that point, it all goes away within 10 seconds. I'm still at 95% of my Max HR. It doesn't magically raise my performance limit.

So please tell me, how does this give me a performance advantage? I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Besides, if the whole peloton were gaining from it, then there is no advantage.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Administrator

shovelhd -- Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
So please tell me, how does this give me a performance advantage? I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
I think I heard heavy sarcasm in benb's post that it sounds like you did not.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'll tell you what it's like when I don't take it, Mr. Rolleyes. When I'm riding at 95% or more of my Max HR for more than a minute, fluid builds up in my airway, my throat tightens, I get light headed, and I feel like I'm choking. If I take one puff at that point, it all goes away within 10 seconds. I'm still at 95% of my Max HR. It doesn't magically raise my performance limit.

Besides, if the whole peloton were gaining from it, then there is no advantage.
Well, I would say being able to breathe and not dying does raise your performance limit. But that's just me.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM
extremely tall

According to this BBC article, 35-40% of the British Olympic cycling team has asthma, as compared to 9% of the general population. Does anyone actually buy that "breathing a larger volume of air" is the cause of this? So these individuals, who are genetically gifted in just about every way you could think of, somehow all have the same predisposition for asthma? What a crock. TUEs are just another way the institution sweeps artificial performance enhancement under the rug.

How 'bout if you have asthma maybe you shouldn't be a professional cyclist unless you agree that by using your inhaler in an emergency you immediately withdraw from the competition?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/42335916

(RELEVANT SECTION)
Why do so many elite athletes have asthma?

Analysis - Philippa Roxby, BBC health reporter

Top athletes are more likely to have asthma than the general population.

This is down to the large volumes of air they breathe in through their mouths when exercising at high intensity over long periods of time.

When the air is cold and dry, this can trigger asthma-related symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath and tightness in the chest, also known as exercise-induced asthma. Cyclists are particularly at risk because of the high aerobic element of the sport. Air pollution getting into the airways out on the road can also be a trigger.

Research suggests that around 35-40% of British Olympic cyclists use an inhaler, compared with 21% of the Olympic team as a whole and 9% of the general population.

If asthma is already diagnosed in elite athletes, then intensive exercise can make it worse - but if it is properly treated, the condition should not prove a disadvantage.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM

I'd rather see the daily limit dropped to something realistic.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM

It's inspirational to see Froome overcome his horrible asthma by winning the Vuelta. He gives hope to all sufferers of this affliction.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM

From my Sicilian paisano:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/news...cycling_453250
Old 12-13-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Always find it hypocritical when someone like Nibali criticizes another pro......yeah like Nibali is clean...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I wish I could have come down with EIA in my twenties, it would have been so nice to have that performance boost EIA seems to give.

Always noticed it seemed the further up the competitive ladder you got the higher % of cyclists seemed to have EIA till you got to the top pros and they seemingly all have it. Amazing our sport self selects for people with a bronchial syndrome the same way basketball selects for height.

No you dont...for those of us that actually really have it, we would gladly allow you to have it...never forget my first "real" experience with it, I truly thought I was going to die...

Just saying...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Guys, no one here wants to be asthmatic.

The sarcasm was thick.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Most likely that the substance was present in a blood bag taken during the race. Echo positive.
This is it. The asthma drug levels are not about Sambutol overdosing, it's an indicator.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 10.52.46 AM.png (52.0 KB, 246 views)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:22 PM

This comes as a surprise because why? Froome's entire career circa grand tour killer is one big "not normal."