Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 PM

Bike storage

I live in Chicago with a detached garage. Seems like thieves love detached garages. Had a biked locked to a full size ladder and they stole both within 5 min of alarm going off. I now lock every bike to a rack that is chained to the rafters. My house has no room. It's a hassle since I commute to work every day. Thinking of building a small carport with a rack bolted to concrete for just the daily commuter. A bike house. How do you guys secure your babies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 PM
Administrator

how did they get into the garage?

it would seem to me like the solution would be a more secure garage. maybe a better door and eliminate any windows/put bars on the windows?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
how did they get into the garage?

it would seem to me like the solution would be a more secure garage. maybe a better door and eliminate any windows/put bars on the windows?
Door had deadbolt and reinforced frame. Crowbar with leverage on knob took it out. No windows.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM

Commercial door with a steel frame, an out swinging door gives a thief less room to get behind the door for leverage. There are doors available that also pin up and down, meaning the latch side has 3 points of security rather than 1. These doors aren't cheap, but neither are bikes.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM

In our area, a follow up theft is pretty common, as the thief will realize that after a few weeks or months, the garage will be refilled with newer insurance replacement bikes. Good to take some precautions in advance.

I recall hearing of this on Car Talk with respect to car batteries. The first theft nets the thief a battery of little value, but inspires replacement with a new battery. Second theft guarantees the thief a fresh new one with more value.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcarter View Post
In our area, a follow up theft is pretty common, as the thief will realize that after a few weeks or months, the garage will be refilled with newer insurance replacement bikes. Good to take some precautions in advance.

I recall hearing of this on Car Talk with respect to car batteries. The first theft nets the thief a battery of little value, but inspires replacement with a new battery. Second theft guarantees the thief a fresh new one with more value.
seriously? people steal car batteries? that's some messed up behavior.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Motorcycle owners have bought anchoring systems that are screwed into concrete floors. Bikes fastened to those with HEAVY hardened steel chains are tough to steal.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
I know someone who had the batteries to their Prius stolen. Someone broke in to my place and stole my kid trailer (but at least left the bike).
Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
People suck.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
A dozen of my neighbors had a catalytic converter stolen. Those are $300 aftermarket

Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
People suck.
Yes, yes indeed. More so everyday.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 PM

section off a small part with a full height wall with a blind door (a hidden door that does not look like a door). with older bikes in plain sight, they won't look any further. just make sure the door is well camouflaged and lock is well hidden, always good to up it high.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General69 View Post
I live in Chicago with a detached garage. Seems like thieves love detached garages. Had a biked locked to a full size ladder and they stole both within 5 min of alarm going off. I now lock every bike to a rack that is chained to the rafters. My house has no room. It's a hassle since I commute to work every day. Thinking of building a small carport with a rack bolted to concrete for just the daily commuter. A bike house. How do you guys secure your babies?

Damn dude. As others have said.......people suck. Sorry to hear this. I've woken up multiple times to find my garage door OPEN and bikes still there so I have nothing to add to conversation.............other than kudos for commuting in Chicago everyday!!

When I lived at Clark and Diversey I commuted to the CME downtown during summer but once temps hit 30's in the morning I'd shut it down for the year. Are you close to downtown ?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Hang them and lock with U locks.

Huge problem here (you found out) with bikes in garages. It's getting out of control. The stories we here from customers at the shop...

They are carrying grinders so hanging can make things a little harder but if they want em they seem to get them. If you have a elec overdoor you can secure the reg door with a bar or 2x4 and always exit the overhead door to keep them from going through the side door. Motion det. light can help but as you know those alleys are a godsend for thieves.

Sorry to hear.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
A dozen of my neighbors had a catalytic converter stolen. Those are $300 aftermarket

I have steel bars welded under my truck to prevent cat theft. It was really bad in the early 2000s here