Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM

2014 Pegoretti Mxxxxxo in "Conn rust" finish, and then 2 King Cage Iris cages
Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Firefly

New home for Ryun's (and Riders120) Firefly. Added my Cinelli stem while waiting on the custom Firefly ti stem. Swapped crank out with Campy 4 arm and some Enve 4.5's. Tips the scales at 16.5# w/o pedals/cages. Amazing

Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

^^ Glad that went to a good home!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 PM

The build is finally complete - can't wait for the maiden voyage tomorrow morning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 AM

New cranks and 10 speed upgrade to Ultegra on the Waterford...

August 5, 2017 Waterford Upgrade by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 08-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Not yet here, but on the way: Wahoo Elemnt Mini; busted my Cateye over the weekend, was planning to get the Bolt (I have the Wahoo sensors and app on my phone for the trainer) but saw the email blast yesterday morning, went on line, but then couldn't complete the order because of credit card issues.
Decided to check out DCRainmaker's review, and bought it through his sponsor's link. I did miss out on Wahoo's free hat offer, though.
You know, I just took delivery of an Elemnt Mini myself. Here's what I've found.

The battery drain with a paired phone is significant. I use an iPhone 5 with a recently replaced battery, so it is at full capacity (1,440 mAh). This model uses Bluetooth 4.0, whereas the iPhone 6 and later use BT 4.2 (which reportedly has lower power consumption, but not sure how much lower). I've done 3 short rides with the device paired to my phone. On two rides, over about 40 minutes riding time and 10 miles, it took about 8 percentage points of juice (started with a full battery one day, an 80% battery the other). Today, with about 1h 40m including a couple pit stops, it drained ~25 percentage points from a full battery.

Going into my battery screen did confirm that the drain was mainly due to the Elemnt app itself during the ride. When my phone is not paired with the Elemnt Mini and I'm not actively riding, the battery drain isn't obviously increased, so the Elemnt app doesn't appear to be trying to pair continuously in the background. And right now, the battery usage attributable to my other apps pales in comparison to the Elemnt app.

Regrettably, the Elemnt Mini it doesn't look like it will work well for a very long ride while paired continuously to my iPhone. If I ride unpaired, then I let the device sync to a phone later (e.g. turn off my phone's Bluetooth when riding), this may work, and I should get brief summary statistics. I will not have a GPS track during the ride, however. Alternatively, I could get a battery case, and those can more than double the battery capacity of my iPhone. For example, the Mophie Juice Pack Helium is $80, and has 1,500 mAh, if you can stomach pink or purple (I can). I think I've seen higher capacity cases from other manufacturers. Anything compatible with a 5 is also compatible with an iPhone SE, which is a modern iPhone.

It also needs to be said: I have an older iPhone. Newer smartphones may be more energy efficient at using location services continuously, and they do have larger battery capacity. iPhone 6 and up (including iPhone SE) use BT 4.2 (no iPhones appear to use BT 4.1), and 4.2 may enable greater power efficiency (I don't know for sure, too technical for me). Also, Wahoo may be able to refine the computer's firmware or software to reduce battery use. Alternatively, perhaps my current battery case is partially blocking the BT signal, and so the transmitter has to work harder to maintain contact with the computer ... but if I get a battery case, then the problem could remain.

Also, today, the computer lost contact with the speed sensor, and couldn't re-acquire it. I had the computer forget, then re-pair with the sensor, and that worked. However, while it then showed the correct speed, it failed to increment my ride distance. I'll be in touch with tech support about this. Not sure how widespread these problems will be.

Overall, if the dropped sensor was a fluke, then I like the quality of the device aside from the power consumption.

Last edited by weiwentg; 08-12-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added technical info
Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Small ring

Picked up a set of Stein seat tube gauges for $10 at a garage sale.

Can't help but buy a tool.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Gearing up for winter... ugh, picked up a Tacx Neo to replace my Kickr Snap. Wanted direct drive and Nashbar allowed their 25% off and Active Junky nabbed me an extra 10% back.
Winner for winter
Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 PM

eTap'in it now.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Its going to start off with a budget build since no one will buy my god damn yamaguchi-- But, should be a great ride.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Topeak smart gauge d2. Need to check how accurate air pressures are.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

I bought a Cateye wheelspeed magnet. My Garmin plastic portion broke.

Also picked up a R8000 Front Derailleur to try out and it works ok so far. But I could use a new cable and redo the some of the routing on it to get it working better.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 PM

100% speedcraft glasses. Always been an Oakley fan but have wanted to try these on. OMG they are fantastic!!! Love my jawbreakers, but these are noticeably more comfortable. Lighter and softer contact points. Obviously not everyones cup of tea. Wasn't very long ago that I too wasn't a fan of how they looked, but they have grown on me over time. Love these!

Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM

This guy:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:26 AM

^nice, great bikes on this page
loooove the firefly