Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 PM

I don't get the Red physics...same load over less area is better how? Because it concentrates the damage instead of distributing it?

I have Red 1090s on both the previous Boyd and Zipp 188 hubs, and I always shake my head when I pull one off and see that one little stripe of engagement. What is it...3mm? Sure, the freehub bodies look great! Glad they're plenty hard.

Last edited by dookie; 12-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
I don't get the Red physics...same load over less area is better how? Because it concentrates the damage instead of distributing it?

I have Red 1090s on both the previous Boyd and Zipp 188 hubs, and I always shake my head when I pull one off and see that one little stripe of engagement. What is it...3mm? Sure, the freehub bodies look great! Glad they're plenty hard.
That one 3mm (or whatever stripe) is wider that any of the individual cogs that dig into freehubs. With Shimano, it's the loose cogs that kill hubs, not the big carrier in first position.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm not sure if boyd above was being serious with his remarks that cassettes gouging freehubs actually extend chain and cassette life due to reduced vibration - but that statement can not be taken seriously.

i think the american classic mousetrap for freehub gouging seems to work well with the "anti-bite" bars installed. i have changed cassettes (due to ratio changes, not worn out cassettes) a few times and have no gouging issues on them.
Novatec makes an anti-bite freehub body as well.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:56 PM

The only freehub body that I've managed to wreck was a Novatec freehub with an anti bite guard. As mentioned earlier, I guess the bite guard takes most of the force; it snapped off on my hub.

A currently have some Bitex hubs with TWO anti bite guards, opposite each other. No problem with those.

Although I've never had a problem with just a normal alloy freehub body. They may get gouged, but they still work.