Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
This is true but I think shifters call for about 8nm. I think if you stay around there you not gonna have any problems. Also most bars have texture where the shifter clamp goes allowing you to torque it even less.
I tried to look quickly, what I found
For Zipp, Enve, and Bontrager I couldn't find a manual for any of their carbon bars that stipulates any torque value for shifter attachment.

For Ritchey, it refers to no more than 5 Nm for stem faceplates, but isn't clear if the 5 Nm also refers to shifters.

Interestingly, Canyon indicates 6-8 Nm for Shimano, but 10Nm for Campy. Curious why this would be?

FSA indicates 6Nm on their carbon road bar.

All in all, maybe not a given that that torque wrench helps a lot if the bar makers don't indicate themselves?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You do know Campag lever innards are replaceable/fixable/overhaulable?

Even 11s?If any LBS there says they aren't, they are fibbing to ya.
I use alloy bars, when I tape the bars, I don't cover the clamp so I can see the bars. I had a bad experience with a set of Drop-ins that corroded around the clamp when I was stationed in VA Beach. The right side snapped at the shifter while I was in the drops. I swerved to the right and luckily a Team Six guy in our group stiff-armed me back upright. Otherwise, I might have swept the front of the group.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:42 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
How many bar makers actually specify the torque value for the shifter clamp? Otherwise, you'd just be going by the torque value that the Shifter company (ie. Shimano) provides, which says nothing about what the bar can sustain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I tried to look quickly, what I found
For Zipp, Enve, and Bontrager I couldn't find a manual for any of their carbon bars that stipulates any torque value for shifter attachment.

For Ritchey, it refers to no more than 5 Nm for stem faceplates, but isn't clear if the 5 Nm also refers to shifters.

Interestingly, Canyon indicates 6-8 Nm for Shimano, but 10Nm for Campy. Curious why this would be?

FSA indicates 6Nm on their carbon road bar.

All in all, maybe not a given that that torque wrench helps a lot if the bar makers don't indicate themselves?
The band on campy is different than the band on sram for example so maybe why needs more torque, I known i have never even been close to approaching 10 on campy. Remember the torque value is not whats recommended but the absolute max torque you can use.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I doubt any pro bike ever gets to that stage of sweat-induced corrosion.
That’s not a problem with the handlebar, but operator failure plain and simple.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Come on guys this all about marginal gains. Just think of the weight savings you can achieve if your bike just disintegrates as it approaches the finish!
Yeah, and since the UCI is banning the supertuck, Mathieu's just looking for a new way to be more aero.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The band on campy is different than the band on sram for example so maybe why needs more torque, I known i have never even been close to approaching 10 on campy. Remember the torque value is not whats recommended but the absolute max torque you can use.
Except that the header on the Canyon page says clearly "Recommended Tightening Torques". However, there's also a footnote that implies that the values are supplied by Campagnolo. But of course then, Campagnolo has no idea the brand, model or material that any of their parts are being attached to.

So where were we? What do you do with your torque wrench?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Peak Torque has a new video with a terrific explanation of the issue.

MVDP Carbon Handlebar Fail @ Le Samyn: An Engineering discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwTwspUaKI

Tim
That's a good video and he brought up some good points.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Do Shimano and Campagnolo use different bolt sizes on their lever clamps? For the same torque, larger bolts typically generate less clamping force, so a higher torque would make sense if Campagnolo used larger diameter bolts.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:02 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Looking at the photos, do you notice how he set up the levers to be twisted inwards? (look at the non-broken side, or other race photos)
All the force is put inside the bars, in a twisting force. It's not directly over the bars, as normally would be with a normal, in-line lever mounting.

IOW, every time he puts weight on the hoods, he is twisting the bars at the lever mount, not putting weight straight down on it.

Maybe a combination of this, bad clamp design, and other factors.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mat...-samyn-finale/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Messages Image(414126609).jpg (50.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Apparently the problem is with canyons proprietary bar and clamp design and now canyon is telling people to stop riding their bikes until they come up with a fix.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Apparently the problem is with canyons proprietary bar and clamp design and now canyon is telling people to stop riding their bikes until they come up with a fix.
D'oh! https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...ncident-492398

Greg
Old 03-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

The seat post has problems as well:

Quote:
The new Aeroad was unveiled towards the end of 2020. The bike performed well in short-term reviews. However, supply was limited and no title was able to keep the bike long term. Now in the wild and being ridden longer term, customers have raised issues with the seat post as well.

As reported by Cycling Weekly earlier this month, the truncated post is clamped low in the seat tube, and designed to provide flex. However, customers have found that this results in damage, especially when the rider is heavier or has more seatpost exposed.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Is this a new thing—for a manufacturer to actually own their equipment failures—given the established practice seems to be blame the mechanic/the wind/rabid beaver with a bike fetish...?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
Is this a new thing—for a manufacturer to actually own their equipment failures—given the established practice seems to be blame the mechanic/the wind/rabid beaver with a bike fetish...?
Yes if it's actually a safety thing. Those can get very expensive It's a manufacturers don't address it right away. Manufacturers tend to deflect blame if it's just a performance issue, like a dropped chain.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:07 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
warranty replacement/recall is far cheaper than a class action lawsuit or hundreds of medical lawsuits, possible wrongful deaths, and ensuing publicity.