Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 PM

I know a big and strong rider, a fellow randonneur, who typically breaks a frame at least once a year. He uses CF bars, not for weight savings, but because they are stronger and stiffer than alloy. Couple years ago, I saw him riding gingerly on the last day of a 1200K. Turns out, the night before, when he was stopped at the top of the last pass, the bike fell down while leaning against a tree, with an ominous crunch. He had the feeling that the bars were about to snap, but still 200k to ride to the finish!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Friends. Don't. Let. Friends. Ride. Carbon.

Crap I have no friends
Old 03-03-2021, 12:17 AM

The aluminum corrosion issue is not just a matter of poor maintenance. I have seen this on well maintained bikes here in Singapore because it is humid and people sweat copiously. I regularly destroy components and this is one of the reasons I shifted away from campy because the brifter inners would fail well before shimano and sram equivalents.

In short - I only use carbon bars because I want to AVOID failure.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:06 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

At least he had some nice plump rubber.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
You should get some very good electrical tape and put a complete wrap overlapping almost half the width of the electrical tape on the bars...
But that would add weight to the bars. Oh, the horror...
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
I would imagine the team mechanics are using torque wrenches?

Doubt it. 'Some' team wrenches are really good but a lot are bike shop refugees, couldn't make it there so...a lot don't know what they don't know. Plus they get spoiled grabbing new stuff from their 40 ft van full of new bike stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group-of-laughing-people-clip-art-vector_csp6001886.jpg (13.6 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 AM

How many bar makers actually specify the torque value for the shifter clamp? Otherwise, you'd just be going by the torque value that the Shifter company (ie. Shimano) provides, which says nothing about what the bar can sustain.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
How many bar makers actually specify the torque value for the shifter clamp? Otherwise, you'd just be going by the torque value that the Shifter company (ie. Shimano) provides, which says nothing about what the bar can sustain.
This is true but I think shifters call for about 8nm. I think if you stay around there you not gonna have any problems. Also most bars have texture where the shifter clamp goes allowing you to torque it even less.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:13 AM

Peak Torque has a new video with a terrific explanation of the issue.

MVDP Carbon Handlebar Fail @ Le Samyn: An Engineering discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwTwspUaKI

Tim
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 AM

My one foray into carbon road bike bars(no issues on the mtb) ended when my bike with brand new EC90 bars tipped over after being leaned against the car and snapped at the bend. Easton told me to **** off.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 AM

Bobby Lea did an excellent review of the bicycle from Canyon for Bicycling Magazine. He mentioned, with a very stern face, that the handlebars flexed too much during a hard effort. Yes, Bobby is Olympic-level strong, but he is also much lighter in weight than some people (like myself at 185 winter pounds) who will be buying these $9,000 bicycles.

The handlebars need to be re-designed for safety reasons. I'm sure Canyon will do the right thing and take immediate action / recall / redesign the faulty parts. Interested in hearing what happens, as I'm possibly interested in possibly ordering a Canyon CFR Ultimate once the wireless Dura-Ace groupset is released later this year.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
The aluminum corrosion issue is not just a matter of poor maintenance. I have seen this on well maintained bikes here in Singapore because it is humid and people sweat copiously. I regularly destroy components and this is one of the reasons I shifted away from campy because the brifter inners would fail well before shimano and sram equivalents.

In short - I only use carbon bars because I want to AVOID failure.
You do know Campag lever innards are replaceable/fixable/overhaulable?

Even 11s?If any LBS there says they aren't, they are fibbing to ya.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:42 AM

The MTB bars must be a lot more rugged than the road bars. My Pivot came with Easton EC70 riser bars and I've never given them a second thought through >5 years of riding (and falling). Of course you can see most of the bar, vs. a wrapped road bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
My one foray into carbon road bike bars(no issues on the mtb) ended when my bike with brand new EC90 bars tipped over after being leaned against the car and snapped at the bend. Easton told me to **** off.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The MTB bars must be a lot more rugged than the road bars. My Pivot came with Easton EC70 riser bars and I've never given them a second thought through >5 years of riding (and falling). Of course you can see most of the bar, vs. a wrapped road bar.
Yep, carbon MTB bars are a lot simpler and have very different priorities. You can buy mtb bars down to about 100g, but durability is probably about the same as superlight road bars. Most bars are about twice that.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:11 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I know a big and strong rider, a fellow randonneur, who typically breaks a frame at least once a year.
Well, that doesn't sound right.