Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 12:44 PM

Future of Rim Brakes

I am thinking of getting a Colnago C64 before last direct input of Ernesto dissipates. However, with disc brakes and rim brakes available, I am stuck between wanting to get future compatible disc wheel or the classic rim brakes. Adding to that rim brake variations of carbon vs aluminum vs aluminum with ceramic coating (remnants of Mille, Exalith, OXiC), the choices becomes even more complicated.

Any thoughts or arguments from any side is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Deconditioned!

Future of Rim Brakes

If it were me, on a C64, I’d go rim brake. Def full Campag build as well.

I have both rim and discs. I prefer them for different reasons. For a “road” bike with clearance for a 28 or less, rim brake.

Unless you are buying it knowing you’ll be selling in the future. Then disc for resale. If it’s a long term buy, rim brake.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:50 PM

As someone who prefers disc brakes, I'd go for rim brakes for this bike since I think you'd want that traditional look/feel since you want a bike for which Ernesto had input. Aluminum rims still stop you pretty well. FWIW, ride yesterday was on rim brakes and my ride Saturday was on discs.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:50 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
If it were me, on a C64, I’d go rim brake. Def full Campag build as well.

I have both rim and discs. I prefer them for different reasons. For a “road” bike with clearance for a 28 or less, rim brake.

Unless you are buying it knowing you’ll be selling in the future. Then disc for resale. If it’s a long term buy, rim brake.
NY second for me to agree.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM

Would a rim brake C64 ride differently than a disc brake C64? If yes, the ride quality should be a factor in your decision.

One coudl argue that they differences in ride quality coudl be due to stiffer fork blade in the disc C64 to better handle the braking forces. But I could be wildly wrong here.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:58 PM
The B!

i have no use for disc, and dont feel like ill ever be convinced to try them again.

i suspect something smaller, lighter, prettier, and mechanically simpler will come out in the next couple decades and ill go to that just to stay in the modern bike side of things, but disc is a no from me dawg.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM

Rim all the way.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Part of not eschewing disc brake for me is that Colnago was the first road bike to incorporate disc brakes back in 2012 with C59. So I don't feel totally guilty abandoning classic grace by going to something that Ernesto did.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Love disc brakes for MTBs but I guess I'm old school and prefer rim brakes on road bikes. Just looks better to my eye and performs well. I agree on the long term vs resale value comments tho. Only you can answer that one. Can't wait to see the C64!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
Part of not eschewing disc brake for me is that Colnago was the first road bike to incorporate disc brakes back in 2012 with C59. So I don't feel totally guilty abandoning classic grace by going to something that Ernesto did.
I love disc brakes. I love rim brakes. But, most of all, I love the word “eschewing.” 😉
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 PM
I need you cool.

Disc brakes are ugly on a road bike.

atmo
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM
50 bpm

Until rim brakes stop stopping, then rim.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:25 PM

rim brake all the way for a classic italian roadie with a nod to the master and days of old.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:43 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
Do you feel like you are leaning a certain direction? If you had to make a snap/gut decision: which would you choose?

Also, this is likely the proper answer (for you) then.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:52 PM

This is sort of funny when people think Colnago is all super traditional. Teams sponsored by Colnago have long used Japanese components, both Shimano and Suntour. And Colnago was, IIRC, the first of the 'traditional' major brands to offer a disc brake bike.

I think they are far more progressive in bike design than people imagine.

That said, I'd probably go with rim brakes because it's what I'm used to but someday this will be like clipless pedals or downtube shifters (friction no less) or steel in the pro peloton (which ain't coming back) or quick releases on wheels, which are going to go away as well.

Nothing wrong with liking Colnago, but they're forward thinking there, not retro at all.

Just for fun, here's a pic of the first branded Colnago bike to win the GC at the Tour. Still with rim brakes on this one and QRs on the hubs.