Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 08:51 AM

Mildly OT - a question about Gore-Tex shoes

I'm looking at a few different trail shoes. Some have a Goretex liner, some do not. I understand that the Goretex is primarily for waterproofing. My question is - are they also noticeably hotter/sweatier than non-Goretex shoes? Would my feet roast in the summer?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:01 AM

I have not found that to be the case with any brand of Gore-Tex trail runners and I’ve tried a few. I also have Gore-Tex socks, which definitely suffer the problems you’re asking about.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:17 AM

Gore Tex

So gore Tex is water resistant, not sure about waterproof. It’s a “breathable” membrane so while it maybe a bit warmer should not get crazy sweaty. Of course, some folks sweat a lot so YMMV.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 AM

I'm not a GoreTex fan. It's not sufficiently breathable for my purposes. Once the moisture/sweat is inside (shoes, jacket, whatever), you're going to be wet no matter what, and possibly colder given the conditions. GoreTex shoes can definitely take longer to dry.

Note that one of my main outdoor activities is hiking/backpacking.

Nope, not for me.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Gore-tex is nice for cooler weather and damp/wet rides but you will not want to be using gore-tex shoes as your primary summer shoes. Your feet will 🔥
Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 AM

I spoke with an Arcteryx rep some years ago about the breathability of their shoes with and without a Goretex membrane. In short, he said that their Goretex shoes will be less breathable, especially in hot weather.

I've had both, and notice a difference on very hot days spent outdoors (say hiking). However for everyday wear around the city, not too much.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

While I like GoreTex in my boots or shoes for winter and rain runs/hikes, I've found it too hot for the warm months. I notice this more with the running shoes than my hiking boots.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 AM

I've been wearing Ecco Tracks for a lifetime--I think they are still Gortex lined--and I really don't notice any downsides. But I wear them less in summer, because I'll switch to sneaks or sandals...
Old 03-05-2021, 10:46 AM

Each year my buddies and I do a trip to the Grand Canyon and do rim2rim, then back across, another rim2rim. (Hiking, not running). Over the years I've played with different shoes, including GoreTex. In the canyon, there's a fine, silty sand, really a dust and it gets inside my shoes and socks. I figured GoreTex would keep it out, so I used GoreTex shoes one year. However, I noticed my feet were hotter, so I switched back to non GoreTex shoes. I've landed on Hoka Challengers as the choice for me.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Each year my buddies and I do a trip to the Grand Canyon and do rim2rim, then back across, another rim2rim. (Hiking, not running). Over the years I've played with different shoes, including GoreTex. In the canyon, there's a fine, silty sand, really a dust and it gets inside my shoes and socks. I figured GoreTex would keep it out, so I used GoreTex shoes one year. However, I noticed my feet were hotter, so I switched back to non GoreTex shoes. I've landed on Hoka Challengers as the choice for me.
Thanks folks. Going to go with a hard pass on the Gore-tex hikers.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I'm not a GoreTex fan. It's not sufficiently breathable for my purposes. Once the moisture/sweat is inside (shoes, jacket, whatever), you're going to be wet no matter what, and possibly colder given the conditions. GoreTex shoes can definitely take longer to dry.

Note that one of my main outdoor activities is hiking/backpacking.

Nope, not for me.
I don't think Shake Dry is durable enough for shoes, but you really should try a jacket. Best thing I've worn in 30 years of riding and running

M
Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 PM

I had the Salomon XA Pro GTX which were goretex. I did not like the shoes at all... I thought the shoes were hot and only marginally more water resistant. I preferred the Salomon Lab shoes with the lighter upper and better wicking.

More importantly, most of the water issues I had on trails were with water crossings, and without a meaningful gaitor, all shoes are worthless.

I rather have something breathable that dries faster and wear better socks.

If you are running in the states which seem to be mostly real trails, I'd be more concerned on the type of sole on the shoe. Am I running on softer trails or harder trails. You want different lugs for soft ground.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 03-05-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:48 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I had the Salomon XA Pro GTX which were goretex. I did not like the shoes at all... I thought the shoes were hot and only marginally more water resistant. I preferred the Salomon Lab shoes with the lighter upper and better wicking.

More importantly, most of the water issues I had on trails were with water crossings, and without a meaningful gaitor, all shoes are worthless.

I rather have something breathable that dries faster and wear better socks.

If you are running in the states which seem to be mostly real trails, I'd be more concerned on the type of sole on the shoe. Am I running on softer trails or harder trails. You want different lugs for soft ground.

I have had the same. For serious trail use the forefoot cushion on those Salomon for me is lacking.

For splashing or an occasional puddle dab the goretex is good but it is indeed hotter.

I think it would not be the best choice for heat of summer applications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk