Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 AM

Campy triple left lever on a double drivetrain?

Can you use a Campy 11 speed triple left shifter on a double drivetrain?

I would think it's just a matter of setting the FD limit screws but you never know...
Old 03-03-2021, 07:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post

I would think it's just a matter of setting the FD limit screws but you never know...
Yes...use the first clicks to get the chain onto the big ring, then limit screw to prevent the last click(s) of the LH lever.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post

I wasn't aware there was a specific triple shifter. I've used the standard Ergo shifter on triples with no issues....
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I wasn't aware there was a specific triple shifter. I've used the standard Ergo shifter on triples with no issues....
All the Campy 10s would shift triples with the left lever--up to the Gumby lever Centaur/Veloce I think.

AFAIK, 11 and higher were all double only, or double or triple specific in Athena and maybe Centaur??.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
All the Campy 10s would shift triples with the left lever--up to the Gumby lever Centaur/Veloce I think.

AFAIK, 11 and higher were all double only, or double or triple specific in Athena and maybe Centaur??.
Ah, sorry, I'm still living in a ten speed world!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:

I don't think that's completely true. I just checked 3 11spd shifters - an Athena labeled "double", an Athena labeled "triple", and a pre-'15 Record. The Athena double rotated the cable spool in 6 clicks when moving the shifter blade (up to 3 clicks per push), and the thumb button rotated the spool back in two clicks. The Athena triple shifter blade rotated the cable spool in 5 clicks (up to 3 clicks per push) and the thumb button rotated the spool back in two clicks. The Record shifter blade rotated the spool in 6 clicks (up to 5 clicks per push), and the thumb button rotated the spool back in 6 clicks. However, all 3 shifters rotated the spool the same amount - just under 1/4 revolution.

So it appears that the Athena Triple shifters are optimized for triple shifting, but its a good bet that all 3 could shift a triple derailleur.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Thru 2006, all Campag lefts were double AND triple. Exception was 2006 Xenon, 'escape' shift guts..the triple would shift a double but they made a double only shifter.
2007-compact cranks introduced..Centaur and Veloce became 'Escape' innards and double only. All others, still double or triple for the LH lever.

2009-Gumby shape, 11s BUT all levers are now 'UltraShift', for doubles but I have used an older Racing T and Comp triple front der on triple cranks..with the 11s levers as well. SR/Record/Chorus-11s..all others 10s

2011-SR/Record/Chorus stay Ultrashift so can be used with a triple FD but all below become 'Powershift(Escape innards) so double only. Athena comes back in 2011 but still 'Escape' and double only.

2013-Athena triple back, still 'Escape' but it WILL shift a double front der and crank.

BUT, back to the OP..yes, a Campag shifter designated as 'triple', like those with escape innards(one higher gear at a time with RH thumb button) will work with a double front der and crank.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thru 2006, all Campag lefts were double AND triple. Exception was 2006 Xenon, 'escape' shift guts..the triple would shift a double but they made a double only shifter.
2007-compact cranks introduced..Centaur and Veloce became 'Escape' innards and double only. All others, still double or triple for the LH lever.

2009-Gumby shape, 11s BUT all levers are now 'UltraShift', for doubles but I have used an older Racing T and Comp triple front der on triple cranks..with the 11s levers as well. SR/Record/Chorus-11s..all others 10s

2011-SR/Record/Chorus stay Ultrashift so can be used with a triple FD but all below become 'Powershift(Escape innards) so double only. Athena comes back in 2011 but still 'Escape' and double only.

2013-Athena triple back, still 'Escape' but it WILL shift a double front der and crank.

BUT, back to the OP..yes, a Campag shifter designated as 'triple', like those with escape innards(one higher gear at a time with RH thumb button) will work with a double front der and crank.
Thanks for the full story--I put the question mark after my second statement, since I have not had any experience past the 2009 Gumby Centaur Ultrashift 10s that you rebuilt for me. Just trying to play catch-up in the 11/12 speed world, and my head is spinning! I didn't realize that the Athena triple was reintroduced--just saw them listed and thought they had done the double OR triple as before.

Last edited by paredown; 03-04-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks for the full story--I put the question mark after my second statement, since I have not had any experience past the 2009 Gumby Centaur Ultrashift 10s that you rebuilt for me. Just trying to play catch-up in the 11/12 speed world, and my head is spinning! I didn't realize that the Athena triple was reintroduced--just saw them listed and thought they had done the double OR triple as before.
I will add, that with 12s, the LH shifter became a 3 click affair and it is not triple compatible.

I personally think it's a shame that 'everybody' either abandoned triples or never introduced them for the road in the first place(sram).

Option became a giganto rear cogset with bigger gaps rather than a 30t small ring, smaller cogset with smaller gaps. Another example of the industry 'tail' waging the cycling public 'dog'....

Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 AM

Thanks for all the info folks.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

I personally think it's a shame that 'everybody' either abandoned triples or never introduced them for the road in the first place(sram).

Option became a giganto rear cogset with bigger gaps rather than a 30t small ring, smaller cogset with smaller gaps. Another example of the industry 'tail' waging the cycling public 'dog'....

I agree, my primary climbing bike is still running a triple. I'll take it over any of my other configurations for the long, steep, mountain climbs.