Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elladaddy View Post
This is the only recall info I could find:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...-calipers.html
I have done an internet search as well and cannot find any recall or warranty issues that involve the GRX group set.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:47 AM

Well some of these sound like they're way louder than any of the setups I've had.

I've always done my own setup. I would not take a bike to the shop over brake noise unless there was something really strange and I couldn't solve it after lots of work.

Rim brakes would never be louder than discs unless the pads are toed very badly IMO. But I'm talking more scratchy noise, not loud enough howling noise to bother anyone but the rider. Metal on metal, Resin on Metal, etc.. is going to be louder than rubber on metal or rubber/cork on carbon though.

It's all apples to Oranges though, my wife has a Shimano MTB setup with resin pads and the power is nowhere near the power out of my Hayes brakes with metallic pads. Not even close, but it's not like I've tried lots of the different Shimano setups.

On any expensive MTB though if it had shimano and the performance/feel was anything like my wife's it would put me off the bike.

I'd describe it more as a softer feel that is much closer to a rim brake feel. That is not at all what I'm interested in with hydraulic disc brakes. I want it to feel like a dirt bike or sport bike brake, not a bicycle rim brake.

Maybe that is part of the issue, people want their discs to feel like rim brakes when that was never really a good goal for bicycle discs.